Seattle ahead of the pack for Figgins?

Princess Dye

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/1047116...sign-3B-Figgins

Weird. Enjoy losing, Chone

If the suitors arent climbing over each other lining up for him, you'd think we could come in with some kind of offer and be taken seriously. Especially when you think about the declining closer we're about to give 7.5M to

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (League @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
They're going after Bay, Harden and Lackey as well. That could be one hell of a club.

Well...

Bay, Gutierrez, Ichiro is one hell of an outfield. Plus, putting Figgins at 3B helps a bit. They'll re-sign Branyan for 1B or DH. Wilson will be at SS with Lopez at 2B. I don't know who they'll have catching though. They traded Clement away and Johjima's back in Japan.

Their lineup looks decent, but if they get Lackey and Harden to go along with Felix, they could really do some things with that bullpen of theirs and a decent offense.

But this is all on paper. There's no guarantee that Harden even stays healthy.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)

Sea

85 77 .525

61 101 .377

88 74 .543

Cws

79 83 .488

89 74 .546

72 90 .444

...funny thing...

They may have lost a few more games in the last 3 years, but they've had more + .500 years as well.

I don't know who they'll have catching though. They traded Clement away and Johjima's back in Japan.

Likely to be Adam Moore.

But this is all on paper. There's no guarantee that Harden even stays healthy.

Or Lackey, for that matter.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:58 PM)
Well...

Bay, Gutierrez, Ichiro is one hell of an outfield. Plus, putting Figgins at 3B helps a bit. They'll re-sign Branyan for 1B or DH. Wilson will be at SS with Lopez at 2B. I don't know who they'll have catching though. They traded Clement away and Johjima's back in Japan.

Maybe they'll take Flowers for Ichiro!

:huh:

According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Mariners are on the verge of signing free agent Chone Figgins.

Rosenthal's sources claim the deal is in the four-year, $36 million range. It's a good deal for the Mariners, who will value Figgins' defense at third and his ability go get on base. The 31-year-old hit .298/.395/.393 in 2009 with five homers, 54 RBI, 42 stolen bases and 114 runs scored in 615 at-bats.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/1047116...sign-3B-Figgins

If the suitors arent climbing over each other lining up for him, you'd think we could come in with some kind of offer and be taken seriously. Especially when you think about the declining closer we're about to give 7.5M to

I don't think these things are remotely comparable. There's little risk with Jenks, since he's year to year right now. Would you be comfortable with four years of Figgins? I wouldn't be.

Having said that, if Seattle does sign them, he makes their lineup better right now.

Deal is done.

4 years/36... with 5th year vesting option.

I think this is a great move by the Mariners... making themselves stronger, and the best team in their division weaker.

Ichiro and Figgins... thats one hell of a combo... too bad they really don't have anything else.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Dec 5, 2009 -> 05:42 AM)
Deal is done.

4 years/36... with 5th year vesting option.

I think this is a great move by the Mariners... making themselves stronger, and the best team in their division weaker.

Ichiro and Figgins... thats one hell of a combo... too bad they really don't have anything else.

They've developed an interesting structure that's based much on team D. Their defense can make any pitcher look good (Washburn for instance). They're kinda like the Dodgers from a few years ago. The offense isn't great, but the pitching is phenomenal and will keep them competitive. Ichiro and Figgins make a great 1-2, which would obviously be even better if they bring Branyan back. Regardless, that setup will give other teams fits. They have some good talent in the minors too. They're going after Bay pretty aggressively. As it stands, this team is set to be good for a the next few years. Z is a great GM, and surprisingly, Figgins is signing a rather reasonable contract.

Edited by chunk23