Sox mentioned to have interest in Padilla

bigruss

Found this on mlbtraderumors:

5:25pm: The Cubs and Cardinals are in the lead to sign free-agent hurler Vicente Padilla, according to a report from La Prensa passed along by Diamond Notes.

La Prensa's source for the report is Cesar Batista, who is linked to the agency that represents the 32-year-old. Batista says that formal negotiations will not begin until after the winter meetings. The White Sox, Orioles, Nationals, Braves, Mets, Red Sox, and Dodgers have also expressed interest in the righty.

I dont go for this place for analysis or opinions but they do a solid job compiling rumors. I believe in this one the Sox most likely asked in case of Freddy going down or possibly a bullpen arm. Still, I found this laughable.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
So they blow off the Adrian Gonzalez stuff, but expect us to believe the guy who has been throwing at our players for years, to the extent that we banned to AAA a player who wouldn't retaliate back, and yet we are after him?

What f***ing idiots.

Did you see the original source? It's pretty f***ing funny.

1.) The information is coming from a close friend of Vicente Padilla's

as if that weren't reliable enough . . .

2.) It's being reported in a Nicaraguan newspaper

And as for the story itself; Padilla's friend says the Sox and EIGHT other teams have "shown interest." Meaning Padilla's agent calls up the club, asks if they're interested in his client, they say 'not right now but we don't want to rule anything out, perhaps we'll speak again closer to Spring Training' and BAM! they just showed interest.

In other words it means absolutely nothing.

Think of it this way. If this guy is linked to Padilla's representation agency, their motivation is to push the idea that their client is being pursued by as many major league teams as possible. More potential bidders equals a higher potential of earning. If a team so much as mentions a player's name the agency could portray that as "interest." It's likely that 3 or 4 of the teams named are genuinely looking at Padilla to bolster their rotation while the others might have minimal or no interest.

In the case of the White Sox, I fully believe that they'll be making some calls on starting pitchers who might come cheap and provide an extra option for the rotation, but they aren't going to be looking to guarantee much money and Padilla will probably get a contract from a team with a more serious need.

And for all the reasons mentioned earlier about his past with the team, he'd be an especially odd fit for us. The take home message from this is that it's possible that the White Sox are looking for a cheaper veteran to handcuff Garcia and/or Hudson.

Edited by R.J.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
So they blow off the Adrian Gonzalez stuff, but expect us to believe the guy who has been throwing at our players for years, to the extent that we banned to AAA a player who wouldn't retaliate back, and yet we are after him?

What f***ing idiots.

AJ would aim for his head when he's throwing the ball back to the mound.

Just to play devils advocate here as I don't really want this guy on the Sox either. But........ our manager has stated a few times over the last couple of years that he is tired of his club being thrown at. Could it possibly be that they see Padilla as not only a candidate for relief, but someone who is not afraid to throw back at someone as well. Just a thought.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 06:55 AM)
Just to play devils advocate here as I don't really want this guy on the Sox either. But........ our manager has stated a few times over the last couple of years that he is tired of his club being thrown at. Could it possibly be that they see Padilla as not only a candidate for relief, but someone who is not afraid to throw back at someone as well. Just a thought.

No. Not at all. There isn't even a professional respect for the guy. There is a zero percent chance we go after the guy, especially because we aren't spending money on starting pitching.

Padilla to the Sox is about the dumbest thing that has ever ended up on MLBTraderumors.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
Did you see the original source? It's pretty f***ing funny.

1.) The information is coming from a close friend of Vicente Padilla's

as if that weren't reliable enough . . .

2.) It's being reported in a Nicaraguan newspaper

And as for the story itself; Padilla's friend says the Sox and EIGHT other teams have "shown interest." Meaning Padilla's agent calls up the club, asks if they're interested in his client, they say 'not right now but we don't want to rule anything out, perhaps we'll speak again closer to Spring Training' and BAM! they just showed interest.

In other words it means absolutely nothing.

Thank you.

And if the guy running that site actually knew a little something about the Sox, he'd know immediately to question this on its face.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
Thank you.

And if the guy running that site actually knew a little something about the Sox, he'd know immediately to question this on its face.

You can't expect the guy to know every grudge between every team/player.

QUOTE (League @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)
You can't expect the guy to know every grudge between every team/player.

That's kind of my point - he either can, or cannot, say he knows a lot about some given team. He's willing to post a rumor of obvious silliness like this, but mocks a rumor that was more well-supported and logical about Adrian Gonzalez. Basically, if he can find something obscure that hasn't been wide-published yet, he'll prefer that because it makes his site look better. Something that the rest of the world got first, he'll set a higher bar to be recognized. Its just him defending his turf, which is somewhat understandable, but still hypocritical.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
He'd fit nicely with the Cubs though, who in the last few years have gotten really good at signing thoroughly unlikeable human players. Bradley, Freel, Zambrano, Soriano... I feel kind of bad for guys like Derek Lee.

I've heard that Soriano is actually very likeable, way overpaid & bad, but likeable.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 08:25 AM)
I've heard that Soriano is actually very likeable, way overpaid & bad, but likeable.

Yeah, I meant to just say "players", not "human players", and added Soriano because he is so frustrating to watch. I have actually heard the same thing, he is supposedly a very nice guy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 08:18 AM)
He'd fit nicely with the Cubs though, who in the last few years have gotten really good at signing thoroughly unlikeable human players. Bradley, Freel, Zambrano, Soriano... I feel kind of bad for guys like Derek Lee.

He'd need to be much more overpaid :bang

IIRC this is Harrell's last option year so they'll have to call him up at some point anyway. Ely should start in AAA. Shirek will begin in Birmingham but should be expected to get to Charlotte at some point next year, if not by midseason. And of course Torres, Hynick, and Marquez are on the 40-man as well, although who knows about Marquez's health. Carrasco's workload should be diminished with all our SP and he can spot start.

The point is, we have enough #7 starters as it is, and if we reeeeeeeeeeeally needed another one, I wouldn't expect a GM who is known for both making the clubhouse a priority as well as requesting input from his veterans and his manager, to acquire a player that neither his manager nor his veterans can stand. Rumor = bulls***.

How can reporters get away with these types of rumors while places like SoxNet.net get slammed when they have legit inside information and reported the information professionally?

I just dont get how a baseball reporter can be given credibility for what they write when they go ahead and report this. To me, it just shows that baseball reporters have a false sense of ego and really dont know much more than the average Soxtalker.