Angels "Working Hard" To Trade Gary Matthews Jr.

TylerAtIU

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/ange...atthews-jr.html

I was surprised to read the portion of that blurb that mentioned his suspect defense. I thought that was his one redeemable quality.

His entire game has gone to s*** since arriving on the scene in Anaheim. He no longer does anything well, he is 35 after all.

They can work as hard as they want but he's not going anywhere unless they eat about $15 million. There are guys that will do what he does for the major league minimum.

Maybe see just how desperate the Cubs are to ditch Bradley. My guess is: not enough.

Edited by R.J.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
I hate to say this but if he and Adrian Gonzalez were traded here (as we had speculated about before)..... i think GMJ would play a lot for us in RF.

Not that this is particularly uplifting in any way.

I would be absolutely fine with a situation where GMJ backed up Rios in CF, Kotsay and GMJ backed up Q in LF, and Jones and Kotsay platooned in RF while we waited for Danks (if he would still be here after the deal).

If we moved out Paulie in the deal then 2010 wouldn't be a major issue because we wouldn't be adding to the payroll this year, but the problem with GMJ would be all that money owed in 2011.

I still think it's possible if not likely that if the Gonzalez-Paulie-Angels 3-way rumor was true, GMJ was in those discussions. But I really, really doubt he was going to the Sox. GMJ IIRC has a full NTC and as bad as he wants out of LA, he still wants to start. Why would he give up being a bench player in Southern California for an annual contender in order to be a backup for a team that plays in a cold weather city and has only made the playoffs on three occasions over the last decade? Doesn't sound like a fit, and again, I doubt Kenny would want all that 2011 money tied up in him. Linebrink's deal alone is bad enough. A deal that puts GMJ in SD as a starter, even without a set position, where the Sox eat cash so the Angels don't have to, makes a lot more sense IMO than GMJ coming here.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
They can work as hard as they want but he's not going anywhere unless they eat about $15 million. There are guys that will do what he does for the major league minimum.

Maybe see just how desperate the Cubs are to ditch Bradley. My guess is: not enough.

I actually think that if the Angels ate some salary to make the contracts equal then the Cubs would do that deal in a heartbeat if they could, straight up. GMJ at least can play the field, and plus he's only asking for playing time, he's not making a huge scene publicly where he's being called a cancer - at least not to my knowledge anyway, because I haven't heard that GMJ is a clubhouse cancer. I really doubt the Angels would make that move though because Scoscia seems to be pretty strict about who he does and does not let into that clubhouse, especially after the Jose Guillen fiasco.

GMJ IIRC has a full NTC and as bad as he wants out of LA, he still wants to start.

We must be one of the few potential contenders out there with two spots available still (DH and OF).

Another nice byproduct is you can DH Quentin and cut down his wear and tear, and get better OF defense to boot with GMJ/Rios/Kotsay. Or DH Pods, etc.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
We must be one of the few potential contenders out there with two spots available still (DH and OF).

Another nice byproduct is you can DH Quentin and save him up a lot, and get better OF defense to boot with GMJ/Rios/Kotsay. Or DH Pods, etc.

Agree, but the idea of any of Jones/Kotsay/GMJ DHing on a regular basis is frightening, and even if you do DH CQ, IMO the defensive gain going from CQ to GMJ or Kotsay isn't worth the loss in production from the OF, especially if we don't get a lead-off hitter and we end up leading off with GMJ or something. Yuck.

And again the money issue is horrible for us in 2011 if we have Matthews. GMJ gets $11M in 2010 and $12M in 2011, meaning that's $17.5M in 2011 for Linebrink and GMJ for about $2-3M worth of production.

If we had to take on GMJ to get AGon I'd do it, but Linebrink has to be part of the deal.

Sox trade: Konerko ($12M in '10), Linebrink ($5M in '10, $5.5M in '11), prospects

Angels trade: GMJ ($11M in '10, $12M in '11), prospects

Padres trade: Gonzalez ($4.75M in '10, $5.5M in '11)

Sox get: Gonzalez, GMJ

Angels get: Konerko, Linebrink

Padres get: Sox prospects, Angels prospects

The Angels would add $6M to the payroll in 2010 which would fill the DH hole and add another arm to the pen (at least for the first half), and then cut payroll by $6.5M in 2011. The Angels actually get better in 2010 and save money in 2011, so that is why they would have to trade prospects. The Sox would cut $1.25M off the payroll in 2010 and add $12M to the payroll in 2011 (which is what a departing PK would otherwise free up).

Edit: Also Cot's says GMJ's full NTC expired after '09 and he only can void a deal to one of four unnamed clubs for the remainder of his deal. So as long as the Sox aren't one of those four teams that would be one obstacle out of the way. In my scenario above though Linebrink is included, and he does have a NTC, although I don't know if it's full or partial.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Agree, but the idea of any of Jones/Kotsay/GMJ DHing on a regular basis is frightening, and even if you do DH CQ, IMO the defensive gain going from CQ to GMJ or Kotsay isn't worth the loss in production from the OF, especially if we don't get a lead-off hitter and we end up leading off with GMJ or something. Yuck.

And again the money issue is horrible for us in 2011 if we have Matthews. GMJ gets $11M in 2010 and $12M in 2011, meaning that's $17.5M in 2011 for Linebrink and GMJ for about $2-3M worth of production.

If we had to take on GMJ to get AGon I'd do it, but Linebrink has to be part of the deal.

Sox trade: Konerko ($12M in '10), Linebrink ($5M in '10, $5.5M in '11), prospects

The Angels would add $6M to the payroll in 2010 which would fill the DH hole and add another arm to the pen (at least for the first half), and then cut payroll by $6.5M in 2011. The Angels actually get better in 2010 and save money in 2011, so that is why they would have to trade prospects. The Sox would cut $1.25M off the payroll in 2010 and add $12M to the payroll in 2011 (which is what a departing PK would otherwise free up).

Edit: Also Cot's says GMJ's full NTC expired after '09 and he only can void a deal to one of four unnamed clubs for the remainder of his deal. So as long as the Sox aren't one of those four teams that would be one obstacle out of the way. In my scenario above though Linebrink is included, and he does have a NTC, although I don't know if it's full or partial.

i dont care how it gets done,lets just get gonzalez lol

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)

Angels still don't want or need Konerko. Sorry.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)

Sign me up for this one. I guess the horribleness of GMJ's contract makes it not-impossible.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)

...and no other teams "need" Gary Matthews, Jr. If the Angels want him gone, which it appears they do, they're going to have to be creative. At least Konerko is a useable player whereas GMJ is not.

I wonder how much cash we could pump into a deal with the Angels to get GMJ, and Hank Conger (with Figgins gone, Wood might be out of the picture), while still only giving up maybe Paulie and an arm (ELY) I say this, becasue if we deal Flowers in a package for Upton, the Padres are still going to want a catching prospect.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
...and no other teams "need" Gary Matthews, Jr. If the Angels want him gone, which it appears they do, they're going to have to be creative. At least Konerko is a useable player whereas GMJ is not.

well stated. The Angels would use Konerko, and they'd use him a lot, but if they can find someone else to take on Matthews Jr for less, they'll be willing. It'd be crazy for them to not be interested in Adrian Gonzalez too, but they have other needs to deal with, and if they can settle one of those needs (which would be DH), I imagine they'd do it, especially if they can move Matthews and get out of that horrendous contract with very little else attached.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 02:55 AM)
well stated. The Angels would use Konerko, and they'd use him a lot, but if they can find someone else to take on Matthews Jr for less, they'll be willing. It'd be crazy for them to not be interested in Adrian Gonzalez too, but they have other needs to deal with, and if they can settle one of those needs (which would be DH), I imagine they'd do it, especially if they can move Matthews and get out of that horrendous contract with very little else attached.

Agreed.

Konerko is on a bad contract, but as a free agent in this market he could easily be looking at $7-8M on a one year deal given his ability to play 1B. GMJ as a free agent in this market would be lucky to get $1.5M guaranteed. Konerko is probably a $4-5M overpayment in 2010 while GMJ is probably about a $9.5-10M overpayment in 2010, and unlike GMJ, Konerko would actually fill a need. On top of that, GMJ is owed another $12M in 2011, and with regression, GMJ can't be viewed as being worth more than $1M in that year.

If the Angels were to trade GMJ for PK straight-up, they would essentially free themselves of about $16-17M of bad commitments - and to put that in perspective, for an average team that's about 20-25% of a payroll year, or enough money to pay for 3+ years of Rule-4 drafts, or enough money to sign a proven above-average player on the open market for 2 years. In fact, if the Sox were to just do GMJ for Konerko, I would expect the Angels to contribute so much in terms of prospects that the Sox wouldn't have to add anything more than Hudson + 1 other prospect to get Gonzalez.

*edited the above*

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects