Top 10 Worst Contracts Of The 2000s

bschmaranz

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Zito and Hampton have to be the two worst. Super-long-term deals for starters, and they just handicapped their respective teams with their presence. At least the shorter deals didn't lock up teams as long.

Agree. No way do Schmidt (3 years) and Andruw (2 years) belong on there over guys like Soriano (8 years) and Helton (9 years).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Zito and Hampton have to be the two worst. Super-long-term deals for starters, and they just handicapped their respective teams with their presence. At least the shorter deals didn't lock up teams as long.

Zito did have a pretty good year last season, so he's maybe earned 9% of that contract.

I question Schmidt's contract being so high there, I know it didn't work out, but the guy had no injury history, it was just bad luck. Carlos Silva was just always bad, Darren Dreifort was never any good, those are worst contracts, although I am surprised our friend Rios wasnt on there. A few years from now Alfonso will be high on that list as his contract increases and he gets old and keeps getting worse.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 5, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
I question Schmidt's contract being so high there, I know it didn't work out, but the guy had no injury history, it was just bad luck. Carlos Silva was just always bad, Darren Dreifort was never any good, those are worst contracts, although I am surprised our friend Rios wasnt on there. A few years from now Alfonso will be high on that list as his contract increases and he gets old and keeps getting worse.

Signing guys after career years and giving them a lot of money is the worst kind of signing you can have. Signing guys who are close to their prime to a lot of money with no injury history is nowhere near as bad. Pavano, Dreifort, and Silva are easily three of the worst signings on there. Only because you knew there was a good chance they were going to suck.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 5, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)

If he wasn't, Vernon Wells is going to be on there far before Alexis Rios. Rios has put up several good seasons and is much more likely to turn into an above average offensive player and a good player in many other metrics than he is to continue putting up low .700 OPS's.

I still don't think the Alexis Rios contract is a bad one. It's not great, but there are worse contracts out there.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 02:51 AM)
If he wasn't, Vernon Wells is going to be on there far before Alexis Rios. Rios has put up several good seasons and is much more likely to turn into an above average offensive player and a good player in many other metrics than he is to continue putting up low .700 OPS's.

I still don't think the Alexis Rios contract is a bad one. It's not great, but there are worse contracts out there.

Gotta agree here...Wells has a horrific contract, essentially getting monster money for 3 GG's and 2 good offensive seasons.

Rios' contract is more justifiable, since he could have gone to arbitration, was 27, coming off two All-Star games, had a good bat at that point and a good glove.

And its not worth nearly as much as Wells'.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
How is 2 years of Andruw Jones worse than the Zito disaster? And how on earth is soriano not on this list?

I imagine because, in the 1 year Jones actually played for the Dodgers, he put up an OPS+ of 35. Zito, in 3 years with the Giants, has put up an ERA+ of 97. I imagine Zito's FIP is rather high, but he's actually been a decent middle of the rotation starter for the Giants.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 06:27 PM)
I imagine because, in the 1 year Jones actually played for the Dodgers, he put up an OPS+ of 35. Zito, in 3 years with the Giants, has put up an ERA+ of 97. I imagine Zito's FIP is rather high, but he's actually been a decent middle of the rotation starter for the Giants.

His FIP in each individual season since joining the Giants is lower than his final year in Oakland and right around what he had been producing in his final 3 seasons with the A's. Which makes that contract look just that much more irresponsible.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 06:27 PM)

Yeah but the length and money for Zito dwarfs what they gave Jones, and that is the real risk. Overpaying someone for a year isn't going to ruin a franchise. Overpaying them for 7 could do that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 07:23 AM)
Yeah but the length and money for Zito dwarfs what they gave Jones, and that is the real risk. Overpaying someone for a year isn't going to ruin a franchise. Overpaying them for 7 could do that.

Oh I agree, I think Zito's contract is among the three worst, with Soriano and Wells being the others. I'm just trying to see it through their eyes.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 08:06 AM)
Oh I agree, I think Zito's contract is among the three worst, with Soriano and Wells being the others. I'm just trying to see it through their eyes.

I put Hampton ahead of Soriano for sure, and maybe Wells as well. Soriano at least has been pretty productive so far.