Ginter Up, Porzio Down

Cali

Yeah, but neither Glover nor Ginter is ready to start.

it goes back to getting help from outside the org.

a trade............. but who and what and to which team.

there are players out there and maybe can be had.

tor doen't want to take a chance of offering arbritation for liddle and escobar.

stl and stephson is a tradegy in the making as with o perez from la.

you have ponson from balt, which i think will be too expensive, suppan who might be the cheap way to go.

oh why couldn't kw go after william and the other pitcher pitt gave away in a the trade earlier this week.

again i will ask this, if we give up a good player does this mean we are doing a white flag 2 trade?

Not standing pat

Two weeks ago, the question hanging over the sub-.500 Sox was whether the underachieving team would be broken up and sold for parts. Now, particularly after the pennant-chase acquisitions of Roberto Alomar and Carl Everett, the question has become what else might they be after as buyer in the baseball market.

"I don't foresee anything," Manuel said before Saturday's game. "Everybody would like to get another starting pitcher, but you would have to be a pretty good one to push [Mark] Buehrle, [bartolo] Colon, [Esteban] Loaiza, [Jon] Garland, that group back. It'd be tough, but anytime you can add one for that fifth spot, that would be OK too."

But a new fifth starter sounded like more of a possibility to Manuel after the game, when Saturday's starter Mike Porzio was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte after being lit up by the Devil Rays. Reliever Matt Ginter was called up to take Porzio's place.

"I knew the bullpen was taxed," Porzio said. "Unfortunately, I just didn't do the job."

The Sox will take advantage of Monday's off day, skipping Porzio's spot in the rotation before finding a replacement.

"We'll probably discuss that and see what's available," Manuel said. "When the time comes we'll make a decision."

Ginter was 3-2 with 13 saves and a 2.87 ERA in 39 relief appearances for Charlotte. In parts of three seasons with the White Sox, he has gone 3-0 with one save and a 5.57 ERA in 60 relief appearances.

Makes it sound like Ginter will be in the pen, and a descion will be made about the 5th starter later with the off-day monday. My guess is maybe a trade, but probably either Wright back in the rotation, or Glover in the rotation. :puke

i don't know, i think a trade is in the making.

i wish hsc was here, i would like to know who is kw or that person will be thinking about.

if kw is behind it, we are going to over pay.

i don't overpaying if it is for a superstar that will get us there.

Remember, there are only about 4 more starts from the 5 hole.  But still, we don't want to lose them all, either.

exactly and in the playoff, some teams have gone with a 4 man rotation.

we need some support from the 5 starter most importantly we need at least 2 rp.

Ginter will probably pitch in relief, which is where Porzio should have been. He was a five inning pitcher even in Charlotte. Tonight he sucked pretty bad and so did White, but White was also victimized by a bloop double by Baldelli. He hasn't pitched to badly, but the last two games have not been his best outings either. I may be a bit crazy, but is it possible a trade for a starter is in the works and Billy Koch is the trade bait? There isn't any White Flag II trades happening. We are in this thing to win.

Wright started today, so he's gonna be just fine by the next outing. Sox are probably making some final changes and there is gonna be a different look by July 31st, which will be past when the 5th guy takes the mound again.

This hints at a trade.

Ginter will probably pitch in relief, which is where Porzio should have been. He was a five inning pitcher even in Charlotte. Tonight he sucked pretty bad and so did White, but White was also victimized by a bloop double by Baldelli. He hasn't pitched to badly, but the last two games have not been his best outings either. I may be a bit crazy, but is it possible a trade for a starter is in the works and Billy Koch is the trade bait? There isn't any White Flag II trades happening. We are in this thing to win.

who would want botch in a deal?

only a team that is in desperate situation and i only see that coming from stl.

still if we help them with a prospect or 2 and give them salary help for his contract, and ask for a pitcher we might pull off a deal.

why does there have to be a trade at all. As I mentioned in the game thread last night, the bullpen is overworked and we won't need a 5th pitcher for 8 days. In 8 days ginter or someone else will be dropped down and danny Wright, or Cotts or someone else will be brought up to pitch. Wright although I don't like him is the logical choice to come back up. He is clearly a number 5 guy in the majors.

The funny thing is that Porzio is like 30 years old. Brian Cooper's doing waaaaaaaaaaaaay better in AAA but hasn't been brought up. And Coop, he's 29. It's not like we'd be ruining a great prospect or anything.

i didn't know about the age of mike and brian being 29 and 30.

Ginter will make our bullpen alot deeper. JM would be nuts to put him in the rotation. I would expect another callup some time soon for a 5th starter cause theres no one on our roster right now that can fill in.

We don't have the time to turn Ginter into a starter even if we wanted to. It takes at least 5-6 starts to stretch out a guy used to closing, to be able to pitch enough innings to start.

I have a comment about the possibility of using Ginter as a starter.

I remember a game way back in 1950. There was a rookie pitcher for the Phillies who was strictly a relief pitcher. His name was Jim Konstanty. The Phillies won the pennant that year (they were called the Whiz Kids, and they had Richie Ashburn, Curt Simmons, Puddin Head Jones, Granny Hamner, Andy Seminick, among others). They had to win a one game playoff vs the Dodgers to win the pennant. Ashburn threw out cal Abrams at the plate to end the playoff game. Konstanty had a great year, and I believe he was rookie of the year. Anyway, he was their best pitcher, so in game one of the World Series against the Yankees, the Phillies surprised everyone by starting Konstanty. He pitched his heart out and lost 1-0. Joe Dimaggio had a big hit as I vaguely recall. I still remember listening to that game on the family radio (no TV yet).

It can be done.