Roy Halladay in a White Sox uniform???

wilmot825

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (supernuke @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
Getting in the middle of a three way trade with Halladay ending up else where is the only wat I see the Sox involved with him.

and hopefully the mlb.com rumor of it being with the rays and bj upton being the man thats being shipped elsewhere is true and we are indeed involved. I just looked at uptons stats the 2 years before last year, he had an OBP of .380 both years man would that look good at the top of the lineup.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
Halladay will net two first round picks next offseason hence Toronto should be asking for two first round caliber players at least.

A part of me thinks that Toronto should ask for more from Boston and New York just becasue I hate them both...irrational thinking, yes.

Flowers and Wade Davis are 2 first round caliber players for sure. then id throw in Jayson Nix or CJ Retherford because they dont have a backup infielder and then maybe one more pitching prospect, maybe a Carlos Torres. Im sure they will get more than wade davis from the rays so this deal would make a ton of sense and Im sure KW has thought the same thing.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Well I said it was a fantasy. It might not take as much to get Halladay as you think.

Danks or floyd would have to go in one of the deals to make up for the prospects you send in the other and to be honest id rather go out there with the staff we have instead of landing halladay for a year.

We don't need Halladay, but it couldn't hurt to have him. Do we try to pluck Upton and Navarro (a non-tender guy), while sending the pieces to both sides to try to seal the deal? Can we? What's the upside for the Jays here? Who are they getting?

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
Throw in Dionar Navarro to the Sox, who is going to be non-tendered by the Rays anyway.

I can't see TB picking up Halladays salary without dumping Burrells though, so if the Sox take him they may be able to increase their rate of return and fill the DH spot for a season.

Sox are apparently looking at Mike Redmon and John Buck as potential backups, although it also sounds like they are fine going with Flowers.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
Flowers and Wade Davis are 2 first round caliber players for sure. then id throw in Jayson Nix or CJ Retherford because they dont have a backup infielder and then maybe one more pitching prospect, maybe a Carlos Torres. Im sure they will get more than wade davis from the rays so this deal would make a ton of sense and Im sure KW has thought the same thing.

Not sure why Toronto would want Flowers though when they have a similar player in J.P. Arencibia. Viciendo may fit better for them.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
Let's say the Jays call and demand Flowers, Hudson, Viciedo and Jordan Danks. What say you? Me? I'm sort of in the yes column. We don't need Halladay, but it couldn't hurt to have him. Or what if the Rays want Halladay? Do we try to pluck Upton and Navarro (a non-tender guy), while sending the pieces to seal the deal? Can we? What's the upside for the Jays here?

I say HELL NO! For AG, I'd deal 3 of the 4 (Hudson is the guy I'd like to keep).

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
We don't need Halladay, but it couldn't hurt to have him. Do we try to pluck Upton and Navarro (a non-tender guy), while sending the pieces to both sides to try to seal the deal? Can we? What's the upside for the Jays here? Who are they getting?

I think it actually hurts us more than helps us to acquire Halladay. It's bad enough to deplete our farm system, but adding that salary to an already expensive rotation just doesn't seem prudent at all. I don't think we could even afford him without dumping another contract if these current payroll estimates are correct.

Getting Upton on the other hand is intriguing. I think I would probably do the deal for him.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
I agree....no way. No sense in giving up all of your players with potential for one year of Halladay, which would blow up the budget even more.

I retracted the proposal, but honestly, i'd have no problem with it. This is assuming, and this is a massive assumption that this is essentially a sign and trade. I want Halladay for three years. If we get that then it's worth it, becasue i think we can fill each and every hole that we open.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
Not sure why Toronto would want Flowers though when they have a similar player in J.P. Arencibia. Viciendo may fit better for them.

good call i was just looking at there depth chart and seeing they had carlos ruiz trotting out there at catcher with no backup...hmmm maybe its not so much of a perfect fit after all. Dayan could be a piece they might want.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
I retracted the proposal, but honestly, i'd have no problem with it. This is assuming, and this is a massive assumption that this is essentially a sign and trade. I want Halladay for three years. If we get that then it's worth it, becasue i think we can fill each and every whole that we open.

Felix's head is going to explode if you keep doing this. ;)

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
Danks or floyd would have to go in one of the deals to make up for the prospects you send in the other and to be honest id rather go out there with the staff we have instead of landing halladay for a year.

First, I'm not going to suggest that I think this has a high probability (like I'd give it 5-10% chance) of getting done, but I think the observation that it might not take as much as one might think to get Halladay could be correct.

If he is truly serious about testing FA after this season then his value is obviously reduced in a trade, and he has to start looking around for where he wants to go showcase himself. This is where Kenny does the sell-job. Projecting out to him what they can do with a rotation like our XBox fantasy. Since the Jays won't want to trade him to NY or Bos, Chicago makes more sense for Halladay want to showcase himself than Tampa Bay.

Since Halladay has so much say over where he goes, it could create a situation where Toronto is virtually forced to take lesser value than they could get somewhere else. It isn't like we haven't seen this before.

All that said, again, I doubt we end up with him, and if we do I'd hope it would be a scenario like that where we don't give full value, where ours is the 2nd or 3rd best offer on the table and the Jays are all but forced to take it. Giving up Danks and Danks and Flowers and on and on for him would be a mistake, IMO.

But it sure is fun to think about when it is cold and gray outside. :snow

QUOTE (Fingish @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
First, I'm not going to suggest that I think this has a high probability (like I'd give it 5-10% chance) of getting done, but I think the observation that it might not take as much as one might think to get Halladay could be correct.

If he is truly serious about testing FA after this season then his value is obviously reduced in a trade, and he has to start looking around for where he wants to go showcase himself. This is where Kenny does the sell-job. Projecting out to him what they can do with a rotation like our XBox fantasy. Since the Jays won't want to trade him to NY or Bos, Chicago makes more sense for Halladay want to showcase himself than Tampa Bay.

Since Halladay has so much say over where he goes, it could create a situation where Toronto is virtually forced to take lesser value than they could get somewhere else. It isn't like we haven't seen this before.

All that said, again, I doubt we end up with him, and if we do I'd hope it would be a scenario like that where we don't give full value, where ours is the 2nd or 3rd best offer on the table and the Jays are all but forced to take it. Giving up Danks and Danks and Flowers and on and on for him would be a mistake, IMO.

But it sure is fun to think about when it is cold and gray outside. :snow

Good post. That's what I was saying. There's nothing wrong with throwing out ideas in the middle of winter. None of us really know what Kenny is thinking about doing... he'll proabably pull off some deal that none of us have even thought of and will have all of us going WTF WAS THAT??? :huh

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
Good post. That's what I was saying. There's nothing wrong with throwing out ideas in the middle of winter. None of us really know what Kenny is thinking about doing... he'll proabably pull off some deal that none of us have even thought of and will have all of us going WTF WAS THAT??? :huh

Maybe all of this is a smokescreen to divert the media away from another deal. The media is focused on Halladay so talk to Toronto about it while you seal another deal else where.

that does sound like KW.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
Maybe all of this is a smokescreen to divert the media away from another deal. The media is focused on Halladay so talk to Toronto about it while you seal another deal else where.

that does sound like KW.

my exact thoughts.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)

One thing is consistent about KW, he's consistently unpredictable. I agree that some deal will be made that will generate 500+ posts, and many of the posts will at least contain words to the effect of "Where the hell did that come from?"