Roy Halladay in a White Sox uniform???

wilmot825

Let me also add that I would not be in favor of sending Danks or Floyd along with top prospects in a Halladay deal. Unless there is something injury-wise with which they have long-term concerns over those two, or unless a reasonable extension would be assumed along with a trade(though nothing about Roy Halladay's upcoming free agency indicates "reasonable"). If it were ONLY prospects, I'd be all for it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 12:57 AM)
I question exactly how high the price for Halladay really is. I don't think Toronto gets a player like Danks or Floyd in whatever deal they end up taking.

i agree. That may be what Toronto wants but no team is going to give that much up when they have all the leverage in a deal. Johan Santana, who i think was every bit as hot a commodity, didn't require that type of price tag. There's no way the Sox are going to give Danks/Floyd plus Hudson, D2, and Flowers. Teams are getting less and less likely to throw alot of top prospects around in a single trade.You may get 1, possibly two top 5 guys, but no team is going to drain their top prospects on one deal.Not even for Adrian Gonzalez.

Don't the White Sox have payroll issues? Doesn't Halladay make a ton of money? Doesn't Halladay have a no trade clause? Hasn't he made it clear he wants to train in FL? Don't the White Sox train in AZ? If they have to money to upgrade to Halladay, and they wouldn't keep their current top 4 intact, they should spend it on some bullpen help and the Sox need some offense. White Sox starting pitchers were #2 in ERA in the AL last season. The offense was near the bottom. Having Quentin healthy would be a plus. Having Beckham an additional 2 months would be a plus. Having Rios hit .260 would be a plus, but not enough. Teahan, Jones, Vizquel isn't exactly an offensive upgrade from Thome, Dye, Getz even Nix.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 11:35 PM)
Lord no. Not even close. Not even top 10 (20?).

Just off the top of my head I'll go with the rotations everyone knows and loves: 1998 Braves and the 1971 Baltimore f***ing Orioles.

Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Millwood, Neagle (combined ERA somewhere around 3.00, the big 3 all finished in the top 4 or 5 of CY voting that year)

and

Palmer, McNally, Dobson, Cueller (all won 20 f***ing games)

There's also the '93 Braves with Steve Avery but the 5th starter was no one special.

I'm not even sure its the best in Sox history, even modern Sox history.

The '83 Sox spent most of the year with a 4-man rotation of Hoyt, Dotson, Bannister and Burns, which produced 2 20-game winners and, I believe all four of those guys had ERA's of mid-3's or better. I'd have to look up the exact numbers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 08:25 AM)
Don't the White Sox have payroll issues? Doesn't Halladay make a ton of money? Doesn't Halladay have a no trade clause? Hasn't he made it clear he wants to train in FL? Don't the White Sox train in AZ? If they have to money to upgrade to Halladay, and they wouldn't keep their current top 4 intact, they should spend it on some bullpen help and the Sox need some offense. White Sox starting pitchers were #2 in ERA in the AL last season. The offense was near the bottom. Having Quentin healthy would be a plus. Having Beckham an additional 2 months would be a plus. Having Rios hit .260 would be a plus, but not enough. Teahan, Jones, Vizquel isn't exactly an offensive upgrade from Thome, Dye, Getz even Nix.

if williams somehow found a taker for Konerko (clearly very unlikely) i could easily see him pulling off a deal for halladay and just going for this thing on pitching and defense....

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
And who would be our everyday 1B? Kotsay?

i have no idea...obviously another move would have to be made...(a 3b maybe and teahen at 1b)...in no way am i saying thats what i want to see happen...but alot of the moves KW has made lately have screamed pitching and defense, and it wouldn't shock me if thats the direction KW moves in...then again, nothing with him really shocks me

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if KW landed Halladay. I remember how shocked I was when he traded Freddy Garcia AND Brandon McCarthy in 2006. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he traded some prospects (forget about starting pitching) to the Jays for Halladay, then turned around and used Danks or Floyd plus more prospects to land Adrian Gonzalez. That's how Kenny rolls. I know it sounds like a fantasy, but wouldn't it be cool? This place would be up for grabs...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
And who would be our everyday 1B? Kotsay?

It's a stretch here, but JD did just say that he is willing to talk to teams about playing 1B, acknowledging that might the only place he could play. If it came down to actually moving Paulie, might Dye be had at a hometown discount?

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
It's a stretch here, but JD did just say that he is willing to talk to teams about playing 1B, acknowledging that might the only place he could play. If it came down to actually moving Paulie, might Dye be had at a hometown discount?

That ship has sailed. Dye should not be brought back.

Or it could be part of a three way deal where we send pieces to Toronto for Halladay and spin him for something to fill the remaining holes on the roster. Maybe part of a trade that lands him in Boston or Anaheim. There really is no conceivable way that this team has Halladay and Peavy on the roster on opening day.

I heard Kurkijan on the airwaves last night and he said that he's had discussions with two high ranking officials within the Yankees and Red Sox organization who say they will not be giving up what the Jays are asking for (4 top notch prospects). Kurkijan went on to say that the Yankees couldn't see giving up more than 2 and the Red Sox didn't think they'd give up more than one.

The reason behind this was not only do you give up significant prospects, but it is also going to take a 3 to 4yr 20M per season extension to go with it and no team can afford that right now. He also didn't believe any other team, outside of the Yankees/Red Sox really had the ability in this financial environment to do the move.

So with that said, I really don't expect the Sox to get Roy.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
THE WHITE SOX WILL BE INVOLVED IN A DEAL FOR ROY BOOK IT! ya thats right you heard it here first...

Blue Jays get Tyler Flowers, Wade Davis and other spects from TB and us

We get BJ Upton

TB get Halladay

:lol:

You know for a made up three way deal, that isn't half bad.

Regardless, his club is the subject of one of the most surprising rumors of the day, as FOXSports.com -- citing Major League sources -- reported on Monday afternoon that the Rays are throwing themselves into the Roy Halladay sweepstakes. Tampa Bay might be willing to offer standout pitching prospect Wade Davis and outfielder B.J. Upton, whom Toronto could then flip to a third team

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

then i looked at the blue jays needs and they have raul chavez as there catcher so im sure theyd love to have flowers. i figured hmmmm this make since seeing as the the blue jays want 2 top 5 spects for him.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if KW landed Halladay. I remember how shocked I was when he traded Freddy Garcia AND Brandon McCarthy in 2006. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he traded some prospects (forget about starting pitching) to the Jays for Halladay, then turned around and used Danks or Floyd plus more prospects to land Adrian Gonzalez. That's how Kenny rolls. I know it sounds like a fantasy, but wouldn't it be cool? This place would be up for grabs...

LOL@us having enough prospects to land Halladay AND Gonzalez.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
Regardless, his club is the subject of one of the most surprising rumors of the day, as FOXSports.com -- citing Major League sources -- reported on Monday afternoon that the Rays are throwing themselves into the Roy Halladay sweepstakes. Tampa Bay might be willing to offer standout pitching prospect Wade Davis and outfielder B.J. Upton, whom Toronto could then flip to a third team

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

then i looked at the blue jays needs and they have raul chavez as there catcher so im sure theyd love to have flowers. i figured hmmmm this make since seeing as the the blue jays want 2 top 5 spects for him.

Ah. Interesting. That could be an incredible fit for the Sox. I wonder if that is why Kenny played coy when Roy's name came up?