Santiago Casilla released by A's

Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
I want the crap out of this guy. For a Coop can Fix 'em type deal, he's got insane stuff. I always compared him to Carlos Marmol, unhittable without a lick of control.

LOL. poor wording

He's really only worth a minor league deal. He's going to be 30 next year, has never had a good season (and I'm not going to say his 105 ERA+ was good last season considering his WHIP was about 1.60), and has never really shown good peripherals.

He's like Mike MacDougal, but worse.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
He's really only worth a minor league deal. He's going to be 30 next year, has never had a good season (and I'm not going to say his 105 ERA+ was good last season considering his WHIP was about 1.60), and has never really shown good peripherals.

He's like Mike MacDougal, but worse.

Matt Thornton was a 29 year old with a career 1.68 WHIP in the big leagues at the end of 2005. His minor league walks were equally bad.

Doesn't garantee that he's fixable of course. Just sayin'.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
Matt Thornton was a 29 year old with a career 1.68 WHIP in the big leagues at the end of 2005. His minor league walks were equally bad.

Doesn't garantee that he's fixable of course. Just sayin'.

Thornton also was mainly used as a starter in the minors and didn't become a reliever until his first season in the majors. I haven't looked at any of Casilla's PitchFx's, but I would also be surprised if his stuff is as good as Thornton's. I know how good it was when he came up, but I don't know how good Casilla's stuff is now, and he's only had a K/9 of over 8 once in his career (9.2 in 2007), whereas Thornton has never been below 8.2 in his major league career and has been phenomenal the previous two seasons.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
Thornton also was mainly used as a starter in the minors and didn't become a reliever until his first season in the majors. I haven't looked at any of Casilla's PitchFx's, but I would also be surprised if his stuff is as good as Thornton's. I know how good it was when he came up, but I don't know how good Casilla's stuff is now, and he's only had a K/9 of over 8 once in his career (9.2 in 2007), whereas Thornton has never been below 8.2 in his major league career and has been phenomenal the previous two seasons.

94.5 mph on the fastball, 84.8 on the slider, 86.6 on the change.