Sox sign Putz

marsh

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
That's a lot of money if they think they can't count on him for 2010.

Yah, Why would you give him 3 mil on a 1 year deal if you aren't counting on him. It's not like its a 3 yr and we're hoping he'll be awesome at the end.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
so if they trade Jenks and move Putz into the closer role, we've got a 6.25 million closer.

how much is Jenks making?

Yeah, that threw me for a loop as well. If Putz remains healthy all year, he won't be making that much less than Jenks will be. Which makes you think that shopping Bobby has as much to do with them (KW and Ozzie) being 'fed' up with his yearly weight/conditioning issues as they are with the raise he will surely get through arbitration.

Very nice. Pitching staff, as it stands right now, looks awfully good (assuming Putz is healthy). I hope they manage to keep DJ around though.

This increases the chances of trading Jenks and/or Linebrink, but I still don't think either is all that likely, which seems good to me (at least in Jenks' case).

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
Yeah, I'm less than excited about this move as I don't see anything that will solidify the pen until Putz is able to take the mound and get hitters out.

Bone spurs are preferable to ligament damage. I know he hasn't even started throwing off a mound yet, but there's a lot of time between now and April. I look for a good rebound from this guy. Can't wait to see him lighting up the gun at 98 again.

Do the White Sox now move Jenks? Personally, I wouldn't, but they are about to go to arbitration with him, and Williams may feel that he can save money by moving Jenks while still having 2 guys (Putz and Thornton) who can step in for Jenks...or do the Sox stay with Jenks, and enter the season with what looks to be nice late inning options for Guillen.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
Do the White Sox now move Jenks? Personally, I wouldn't, but they are about to go to arbitration with him, and Williams may feel that he can save money by moving Jenks while still having 2 guys (Putz and Thornton) who can step in for Jenks...or do the Sox stay with Jenks, and enter the season with what looks to be nice late inning options for Guillen.

My concern before I think about moving Jenks is asking if Putz is actually going to be ready on opening day to fill the role, and if that's not possible, how quickly he will be back. I've seen people saying that he'll be ready but others says he hasn't even tried to throw yet. I know we have some time before the season starts but if we do deal Jenks and it turns out Putz is never going to get his 98 mph sauce back and/or won't be ready for months into the season, then what happens?

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
My concern before I think about moving Jenks is asking if Putz is actually going to be ready on opening day to fill the role, and if that's not possible, how quickly he will be back. I've seen people saying that he'll be ready but others says he hasn't even tried to throw yet. I know we have some time before the season starts but if we do deal Jenks and it turns out Putz is never going to get his 98 mph sauce back and/or won't be ready for months into the season, then what happens?

His prognosis when he had the surgery was something like 8-12 weeks (see post earlier in this thread). If he's not ready to pitch right now then this signing shouldn't have been made.