White Sox Non-Tender DJ Carrasco

Kalapse

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This move seems a bit ill-advised.

With all the money we've wasted on Toby Hall, Castro, Mike MacDougal, Linebrink and Contreras, you'd think we'd be more "penny wise."

Now the odds are DJ won't repeat his 2008/09 success yet another season, but how can they know? I'm assuming they're penciling in Hudson into the same role, or Hynick, someone like that...assuming that Garcia is the fifth starter to open the season. So I guess I'll look at it purely from the perspective of bringing in younger talent with more upside, rather than a cost-savings. Maybe it will be both.

While I'm not sure he was the MVP of the team, he was critically important in a way that casual baseball fans could never understand over a long, 162 game season...but especially in July/August of 08. You also never heard anything negative about him...being anything but a stable, veteran clubhouse presence and a solid teammate. Hopefully, KW can get that chemistry/mix mojo working again, it's been hard to find a consistent chemistry with all the personnel changes this team has made over the last five seasons. I would guess our roster turnover has been in the Top 10-15% of all MLB teams during that timespan.

We'll just have to wait and see if we sign Guerrero/Matsui/Damon and/or get a new leadoff hitter on the backs of new deals signed by the market department with Gillette and Accenture.

Edited by caulfield12

a few hundred thousand could also mean up into the $900k range. There just isn't a huge need for a great long reliever when the rotation is Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Garcia/Hudson. There was last year, especially with Contreras and Colon bombing along Floyd missing a few starts towards the end of the season. If it means Santos on the roster as a long relief guy in what might inevitably turn out to be him getting bombed because he's as raw as he is but eating innings in games that are already long over, then so be it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 01:31 AM)
This move seems a bit ill-advised.

With all the money we've wasted on Toby Hall, Castro, Mike MacDougal, Linebrink and Contreras, you'd think we'd be more "penny wise."

Now the odds are DJ won't repeat his 2008/09 success yet another season, but how can they know? I'm assuming they're penciling in Hudson into the same role, or Hynick, someone like that...assuming that Garcia is the fifth starter to open the season. So I guess I'll look at it purely from the perspective of bringing in younger talent with more upside, rather than a cost-savings. Maybe it will be both.

While I'm not sure he was the MVP of the team, he was critically important in a way that casual baseball fans could never understand over a long, 162 game season...but especially in July/August of 08. You also never heard anything negative about him...being anything but a stable, veteran clubhouse presence and a solid teammate. Hopefully, KW can get that chemistry/mix mojo working again, it's been hard to find a consistent chemistry with all the personnel changes this team has made over the last five seasons. I would guess our roster turnover has been in the Top 10-15% of all MLB teams during that timespan.

We'll just have to wait and see if we sign Guerrero/Matsui/Damon and/or get a new leadoff hitter on the backs of new deals signed by the market department with Gillette and Accenture.

Do you have any details or links with information on the deals with Accenture and Gillette?

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 01:22 AM)
Do you have any details or links with information on the deals with Accenture and Gillette?

Sorry, I was just joking, in light of all the Tiger Woods controversy the last two weeks....thought they might be open to investing in White Sox baseball.

Speaking of sponsors (and yes, this is off track but I don't want to start a new thread)...have we heard anything about the marketing department this off-season?

"We picked the absolute worst time to have an exclusive bank deal and a significant deal with Buick Pontiac GMC. The Chicago budget for Buick Pontiac GMC dropped over $16 million, in Chicago alone. So we lost that deal in one way. Luckily, we’re in a multiyear deal with Chevy, so we’re seeing some of their other money. Our exclusive bank deal, five years ago when we did the deal, it was brilliant. All the stars were aligned. LaSalle Bank was in Chicago, it was deeply rooted in Chicago. It was a perfect match for our brand. But little did we know that five years later, we’d be in the situation that we’re in now [bank of America acquired LaSalle in 2007]. So we’ve lost Bank of America as a partner, and trying to find a new exclusive bank in this economy is not easy. We get it. Those two hits alone, and then to have Motorola in our backyard face the challenges they’re facing, have definitely hurt us."

Brooks Boyer in April, 2009

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
I'll gladly take Putz at $3M over Carrasco at ~$1.5M, the potential upside between the 2 isn't even close. Somehow I'm not too broke up about losing the 33 year old coming off a career year as a mop-up man.

It stinks losing him because he had a lot of value as a long-reliever. However, you dont' want him pitching in the 7th/8th innings of games you are winning and if he is getting 2-3M he's going to get into those games and I think that would be a mistake.

DJ will be able to find a job and start for some team and I wish him the best cause he was valuable on the south-side in his role for a great price, but now the Sox can turn things over to Hynick or Hudson or someone else and I'm fine with that. The mop-up guy shouldn't be the reason why your team does or doesn't make the playoffs, imo.

Putz at 3M could end up being a guy that really helps your pen be lights out and that would have a ton of value.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 13, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)
138 relievers threw 50+ innings last season; on average only 4 of them pitched in less pressure filled situations.

I'm glad that my eyes didn't deceive me. I really felt he wasn't challenged last year, and didn't really respond well when he was. I still don't like letting the guy walk away, but I guess I will wait and see how the pen settles out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 02:32 AM)
Sorry, I was just joking, in light of all the Tiger Woods controversy the last two weeks....thought they might be open to investing in White Sox baseball.

Speaking of sponsors (and yes, this is off track but I don't want to start a new thread)...have we heard anything about the marketing department this off-season?

"We picked the absolute worst time to have an exclusive bank deal and a significant deal with Buick Pontiac GMC. The Chicago budget for Buick Pontiac GMC dropped over $16 million, in Chicago alone. So we lost that deal in one way. Luckily, we’re in a multiyear deal with Chevy, so we’re seeing some of their other money. Our exclusive bank deal, five years ago when we did the deal, it was brilliant. All the stars were aligned. LaSalle Bank was in Chicago, it was deeply rooted in Chicago. It was a perfect match for our brand. But little did we know that five years later, we’d be in the situation that we’re in now [bank of America acquired LaSalle in 2007]. So we’ve lost Bank of America as a partner, and trying to find a new exclusive bank in this economy is not easy. We get it. Those two hits alone, and then to have Motorola in our backyard face the challenges they’re facing, have definitely hurt us."

Brooks Boyer in April, 2009

Awesome quote, thanks. Hope Brooks can find some new partners this year. Maybe PNC, since they just acquired National City to get the PNC brand into new cities, just like Chicago.