White Sox acquire Juan Pierre

Sockin

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
Pretty predictable. I'm certainly not thrilled with this move. But you know what they say, beggars can't be choosers. The 'ideal' leadoff guy out there for us to somehow acquire simply doesn't exist. If Pierre can sport a .350/.360 OBP, and he BETTER be in LF, I can't complain too much at 8 million over two years. Let's just pray to god Jared Mitchell pans out and is ready for The Show come 2012.

Huge key to everything right there.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
Neither of those guys have real value. I don't think that's the level of pitcher we are talking about here. I think its more like guys who have higher ceilings than that. I'd go with the list including guys like: Ely, Link, Shirek, Torres, Nunez, Santeliz, Harrell, Omogrosso, Hynick.

But NOT Hudson, or Bellamy.

I wish we knew who it was though.

For $4M/year over two years, and giving up (probably) nothing huge, I like this deal. Pierre is a decent OBP and speed guy, plays OK defense except for an awful arm, and comes cheap. Now, as others have said, we just need a power bat to bolster the DH position, from the left side. I would not be surprised if it was Thome.

I'm not saying those guys aren't possible. I hope they're not. I'd say McCulloch would definitely have to be on the list though. Like I said before, I'm hoping this is part 2 of the Thome deal and the White Sox aren't giving up too much talent in return.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
Essentially the Sox are giving them time to scout amongst a set number of players to pick two out of. I believe they can't be on the 40 man roster, but I could be wrong on that. I know someone will have better info.

Whoops. I misread the quote. I thought the guys were already picked from the list. So now it makes more sense.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
Son of a b****. I'm happy that the Dodgers are taking the salary, but we just replaced Pods with Pods. What happened to our new defensive philosophy? What about our need for power?

I'd take Pierre over Pods defensively, from what admitedly little I know of Pierre. And I think Pierre is less of a health risk than Pods. Therefore, to me, Pierre > Pods, and probably for less money than what Pods is looking for. Not that I think Pierre is fantastic - just that he is a slightly better and younger Pods.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
I'd take Pierre over Pods defensively, from what admitedly little I know of Pierre. And I think Pierre is less of a health risk than Pods. Therefore, to me, Pierre > Pods, and probably for less money than what Pods is looking for. Not that I think Pierre is fantastic - just that he is a slightly better and younger Pods.

I just don't see that much different in the 2 and you're getting rid of a fan favorite, meaning casual fans.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
Pretty predictable. I'm certainly not thrilled with this move. But you know what they say: Beggars can't be choosers. The 'ideal' leadoff guy out there for us to somehow acquire simply doesn't exist. If Pierre can sport a .350/.360 OBP, and he BETTER be in LF, I can't complain too much at 8 million over two years. Let's just pray to god Jared Mitchell pans out and is ready for The Show come 2012.

It pretty much has to be Pierre LF, Rios CF, and TCQ RF. Someone just wrote something about Oz wanting to get Q into RF, and this would do it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
I just don't see that much different in the 2 and you're getting rid of a fan favorite, meaning casual fans.

The kind of fans that go to games to see Pods need rides from their parents anyway. Of all of the things to worry about, this is way down the list.

I like this move a lot... I like Pods and think he did some great things for this team in his career but last year he was great and aweful. Great with .300+ AVG, game winning hits, stolen bases every now and then. Aweful with the dropped balls in the outfield, throwing to the wrong base, getting picked off (ALOT), not hitting in clutch situations. I think Pierre will be a great leadoff man and will swipe 60+ bases if he plays everyday..

LF/DH Pierre

2B Beckham

1B Konerko

RF Quentin

C AJ P

SS Ramirez

CF Rios

3B Teahen

DH/LF Jones/Teahen OR Sign Vlad/Thome and slot them in at 5 and have deeper bench.

Bench Vizquel, Flowers, Jones, Kotsay, Nix I like it.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
A leadoff hitter who coincidentally enough, doesn't walk or get on base. This offseason has been very disappointing, IMO considering this move, and the year year deal to Teahen.

Why wasn't the money ponied up for Figgins? Better player by FAR.

It would have taken the money we gave to Pierre, Teahen, and Putz, plus more. In other words, we didn't have the money to fill all holes if we got Chone.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
If he develops control, then yes it would suck to see him go. But from what I saw this past season, I wouldn't hold my breath.

He probably won't amount to anything. He appears to be an extreme case of boom or bust. But we need to take chances on guys with this kinda potential. No matter the risk. We went 'safe' for years and where did that get us?

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
A leadoff hitter who coincidentally enough, doesn't walk or get on base. This offseason has been very disappointing, IMO considering this move, and the year year deal to Teahen.

Why wasn't the money ponied up for Figgins? Better player by FAR.

Oh come on, the guy is cheap, plays good D and stays healthy. Figgins and Pods both have injury issues and Pods is a terrible defender, Figgins cost the M's 9M and probable would've cost more if we got into a bidding war with them.

Pierre upgrades the LF defense and gives us a .280/.340/.375 guy with tremendous speed. He can score from 1st on a double, and Becko is going to hit a ton of those behind him. He fits for this team and is cheap enough to allow us to still pursue a decent DH option.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
Even with the Dodgers paying part of the salary, I think they just wanted to unload him. So, McCulloch and Infante would be enough to part with Pierre. Plus, keep in mind the White Sox did the Dodgers a solid in the Thome deal. They got Thome for practically nothing, this is part 2 of that deal.

Great point.