White Sox acquire Juan Pierre

Sockin

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
LOL. Alex Rios sure as hell ain't hittin 25 HR. Most of those are huge reaches. Our pitching staff better be 2005 stellar cause our offense is gonna suck.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
Yeah, his .847 OPS last year really sucked. I have no problem bringing him back for $5M or so next year.

You have some very overly-optimistic projections there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
Those projections are indeed very optimistic, but I actually could see Beckham hitting 25.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
If Beckham hits 25 homers next year he is either juicing or hitting .250.

apparently my predictions were out there but i really think none of em are out of the realm of possibility

Rios hit 24 in Toronto which is not only plays its home games in a pitchers friendly ballpark, youre also playing a ton of games in the AL East. Playing in the cell and feasting on some AL central pitching I think he could easily hit 25 maybe even closer to 30.

I think a lot of people will tell you Beckham can put up 25 in a full season, he put up 14 in 103 games plus hes only gonna get better.

Andruw jones hit 17 in 82 games, 25-30 should be rather easy, its just a matter of can we deal with the low AVG hes more than likely gonna put up.

Teahan is the only prediction i think i may have over shot but he put up 18 in 109 games in 06 and i see him putting up those kind of numbers in the cell around a winning ball club in his first year where hes trying to prove something

Here’s how Bill James has us pegged for homeruns next year. Note: I don’t think Nix will be on the 25 man nor will Jones be a starter, and James tends to over predict. Not an exact assessment, but an assessment just the same. James has us landing around 188 homeruns.

AJ-14, Konerko-29, Beckham-21, Teahen-13, Ramirez-18, Q-30, Rios-16, Pierre-1, Jones-22(adjusted for playing time)-

Bench:

Nix-8, Kotsay-3, Flowers-12, Visquel-1

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
He had an awful June and a pretty horrendous September (as did a lot of the Dodgers). But he also had a strong April, a tremendous May, and a good August. And as a full time starter, he basically had one great month and one terrible month. All in all, it was a solid, but not great season.

And while Pierre doesn't hit doubles, he can turn singles into doubles with his feet. He's not the stealer he once was, but he's still pretty good and will likely run a lot more in Chicago than he did in LA.

I'd expect hope the Sox can get something similar to his 2007 season, with maybe a bit better OBP (but I'm being greedy and unrealistic there). Yes, they are mediocre numbers, but when you add in the stolen base numbers, it is acceptable at 4M a season.

A single and a stolen base is not the same thing as a double, I hate it when people make them out to be equal. In '07 he put up a .331 OBP (that's 20 points below the league average for an AL leadoff man last season) and had 32 XBH, the stolen bases are fun and all but they're not making up for those tremendous shortcommings. I just can't wait to see that arm in LF and way too often in center, you can run on popup just over the thirdbaseman's head.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
A single and a stolen base is not the same thing as a double, I hate it when people make them out to be equal. In '07 he put up a .331 OBP (that's 20 points below the league average for an AL leadoff man last season) and had 32 XBH, the stolen bases are fun and all but they're not making up for those tremendous shortcommings. I just can't wait to see that arm in LF and way too often in center, you can run on popup just over the thirdbaseman's head.

He should not play CF, except in a pinch. He needs to be in left, imo, and even with the arm, he's a better defensive left fielder than Pods.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
He should not play CF, except in a pinch. He needs to be in left, imo, and even with the arm, he's a better defensive left fielder than Pods.

Does anyone really trust Ozzie to put the correct guys in the 3 OF spots? I know I don't.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:18 AM)
Rios hit 24 in Toronto which is not only plays its home games in a pitchers friendly ballpark, youre also playing a ton of games in the AL East. Playing in the cell and feasting on some AL central pitching I think he could easily hit 25 maybe even closer to 30.

Rios hasn't even averaged 20 HRs/season throughout his career. How did playing at the Cell help his power numbers this past summer?

I think a lot of people will tell you Beckham can put up 25 in a full season, he put up 14 in 103 games plus hes only gonna get better.

I agree with this.

Andruw jones hit 17 in 82 games, 25-30 should be rather easy, its just a matter of can we deal with the low AVG hes more than likely gonna put up.

IMO, it's more of a matter of whether Jones will have enough plate appearances. He's probably not going to be a starting outfielder, he'll have additional competition if Kenny signs a DH, and his health has been problematic recently.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
Here’s how Bill James has us pegged for homeruns next year. Note: I don’t think Nix will be on the 25 man nor will Jones be a starter, and James tends to over predict. Not an exact assessment, but an assessment just the same. James has us landing around 188 homeruns.

AJ-14, Konerko-29, Beckham-21, Teahen-13, Ramirez-18, Q-30, Rios-16, Pierre-1, Jones-22(adjusted for playing time)-

Bench:

Nix-8, Kotsay-3, Flowers-12, Visquel-1

This seems a lot more reasonable to me, although I'm still not convinced that Jones will have enough plate appearances to hit 20+ HRs.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
I think there will be one more big move for a power bat... even if we have to trade Jenks to save $$$

Jenks is staying in Chicago. There's no market for him, as there's still guys like Valverde and Gonzalez left and not a lot of teams needing a closer.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
This seems a lot more reasonable to me, although I'm still not convinced that Jones will have enough plate appearances to hit 20+ HRs.

I dont see that happening either. I would bet between Rios/Teahen/Ramirez they combine for 5-10 more HR's than James predicts though.

seems as though quentin is another question mark you guys have wasnt it just his wrist the last 2 years other than that hes been fine, and the wrist was his fault. I see no reason why he cant stay healthy enough to hit 30... as far as the rogers center goes http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor USCF is ranked 4th in the most HR friendly ballpark while the Rog is ranked 17th

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
I dont see that happening either. I would bet between Rios/Teahen/Ramirez they combine for 5-10 more HR's than James predicts though.

Something to note is that James predicts Jones to have 11 homeruns in about 206 AB’s. I simply averaged that with Jones’ career average in homeruns per 162 games (33) to adjust for playing time

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
Jenks is staying in Chicago. There's no market for him, as there's still guys like Valverde and Gonzalez left and not a lot of teams needing a closer.

The Mariners are building a team and have reportedly kicked the tires around Jenks. Phillies could do the same.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
The Mariners are building a team and have reportedly kicked the tires around Jenks. Phillies could do the same.

Don't want trade Jenks but if his salary relief it gets us .300 hitter that get 100+ RBIs im all about it.. by sign or trade. With this current lineup I see Quentin (2008 Quentin with 600ABS) the only one that can sniff 100 RBI.

Edited by b-Rye

The question is, is this guy better than Pods and if, so, by how much? On paper, I'd say no and he's as big a risk playing effectively on an everyday basis as Pods would have been.

All Pods did last year was get base hits.

Isn't this another guy KW has wanted a long time?

Should be interesting.