White Sox acquire Juan Pierre

Sockin

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
Not sure if this was posted yet:

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/archives/...erre_trade.html

KW:

Oh terrific, we're building a National League ballclub. It's been 5 years since the Sox got anything under an .800 OPS out of the DH position, we're sure to break the trend if Ozzie has his way .730, perhaps? People realize Omar Vizquel can't hit at all and aside from that tiny sample size with the Sox last season Mark Kotsay hasn't ht a lick since 2004, right?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
Just because Ozzie is doesn't mean Kenny or anyone else is. The DH position is a mess at this point.

I was referring to the article that Kenny said he doesnt want to do anything without his managers approval....i dont like the idea of going in with a rotation at DH from our bench either....lets hope Ozzie lets kenny work some magic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
Just because Ozzie is doesn't mean Kenny or anyone else is. The DH position is a mess at this point.

The Juan Pierre acquisition feels like 90% Ozzie, he's been pining for him since he became a manager. Ozzie having a say in personnel decisions is f***ing frightening.

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
I was referring to the article that Kenny said he doesnt want to do anything without his managers approval....i dont like the idea of going in with a rotation at DH from our bench either....lets hope Ozzie lets kenny work some magic

I know, I was aiming that towards Ozzie. xD

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
Well, I just pray that Ozzie's not the one making decisions about our personnel. I said this earlier today, but if Pierre's the last impact player we add, this offseason has been an absolute disaster.

And even "impact" is a strong word to consider Juan freaking Pierre personally. Man I was liking the idea of Gardner...

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
Well, I just pray that Ozzie's not the one making decisions about our personnel. I said this earlier today, but if Pierre's the last impact player we add, this offseason has been an absolute disaster.

I wouldn't say that.

We strengthened our bench, most likely made late inning relief better, and came up with a marginal leadoff man. You can do a lot worse.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)
I wouldn't say that.

We strengthened our bench, most likely made late inning relief better, and came up with a marginal leadoff man. You can do a lot worse.

It's the American League, since when is the bench really that important? I would have rather the 3.5 million we used on Kotsay/Jones/Vizquel gone towards getting a DH if the money is really that tight.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
It's the American League, since when is the bench really that important? I would have rather the 3.5 million we used on Kotsay/Jones/Vizquel gone towards getting a DH if the money is really that tight.

couldnt have said it any better myself :headbang

Why have the Sox always been obsessed with leadoff hitters who can't get on base? I'm sure this is an Ozzie thing. He loves bad hitters with speed who make outs by getting caught stealing.

...and before someone brings up Pierre's .365 obp last year, you know it's just as much a fluke as Podsednik's 2009.

Give me the leadoff hitter Boston was using for a while in 06/07: a Kevin Youkilis type. I want the underrated guy with doubles power and a super high walk total over a weak slap hitter who hits a bunch of ground balls and makes outs on the basepaths without drawing walks.

If we don't get a real run producer for the DH role and do what Ozzie wants instead (giving bad players more ABs), we're going to waste this amazing pitching staff.

Edited by monomach

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)

When your manager has a National League mentality? (how many times have you heard Ozzie described in this manner?)

When you don't plan on acquiring a 'true dh' and instead will play said bench players everyday in lieu of a 'true dh'?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
When your manager has a National League mentality? (how many times have you heard Ozzie described in this manner?)

When you don't plan on acquiring a 'true dh' and instead will play said bench players everyday in lieu of a 'true dh'.

I love when I have you on my side of the argument.

QUOTE (monomach @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)
Why have the Sox always been obsessed with leadoff hitters who can't get on base? I'm sure this is an Ozzie thing. He loves bad hitters with speed who make outs by getting caught stealing.

...and before someone brings up Pierre's .365 obp last year, you know it's just as much a fluke as Podsednik's 2009.

Give me the leadoff hitter Boston was using for a while in 06/07: a Kevin Youkilis type. I want the underrated guy with doubles power and a super high walk total over a weak slap hitter who hits a bunch of ground balls and makes outs on the basepaths without drawing walks.

If we don't get a real run producer for the DH role and do what Ozzie wants, we're going to waste this amazing pitching staff.

I like the way you think old man.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)

You're talking about Ozzie here. He uses his bench far more than most AL managers.

QUOTE (monomach @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)

What about his 2009 seems like a fluke to you? Is it his .374/.438/.496/.935 line in his first 147 PA and .273/.326/.337/.663 in his final 278?