White Sox acquire Juan Pierre

Sockin

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
I would agree, ala a perfect world projection type thing. However, that 2005 staff was just fantastic, and it really is hard to say for sure that 2010 will be better than 2005.

Of course you can't say for sure. I'm just saying that nobody thought going into 2005 that the staff would be as good as it was. The only proven guys we had were Buehrle, Garcia, Hernandez and Marte. I'm a lot more sure of the 2010 staff than I was the 2005 staff going in.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
I watched him in Florida, where he was without a doubt a catalyst for that club. But by all means, use his one year as a Cub as your example.

And seriously, the league argument is ridiculous. So he faces much worse pitchers in the NL West? He had it so easy the past few years never having to face Webb, Haren, Lincecum, Cain, Peavy etc...

I'll give you in Florida he was an OBP monster (2003 was .361 and 2004 was .374) however, he only walked 55 and 45 times respectively, meaning alot of his OBP was based solely on AVG, meaning he was pretty lucky. Yet that was 5 years ago, his walks have dropped dramatically since.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
Of course you can't say for sure. I'm just saying that nobody thought going into 2005 that the staff would be as good as it was. The only proven guys we had were Buehrle, Garcia, Hernandez and Marte. I'm a lot more sure of the 2010 staff than I was the 2005 staff going in.

well that's my underlying point too, is that it's pretty touch to catch lightning in a bottle, ya know?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
I don't necessarily think he'll put up the numbers he did last year over a full season, but if he did, it would be an absolutely stellar move. I would hope we could get a .345-.350 OBP out of him, but that is probably me being greedy.

We will get a great base-runner who will hit for an average (albeit with mainly singles), but that can be a nice thing. More importantly, the club can at least shield Beckham from the leadoff spot.

Pierre might not be great, but plenty of teams have won with him at the top of the order. For the money and given the Sox options, I'm okay with this deal.

.329 and a .688 OPS in the 4 seasons leading up to his 2 good months last year. There's really no reason for me to believe we'll get anything better than a .325-.330 OBP out of him which is especially dreadful since his ISO will be well under .100. It's a stupid f***ing trade and a tremendous waste of money.

Plenty of teams have won with Juan Pierre at the top? Really? He's been on one team that made the playoffs with him as their leadoff hitter for a full season and that was '03 when he was 25. He has a grand total of 7 playoff PA since 2003.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
Um...? Really? You don't think it's possible for this to be the best rotation we've ever had?

So far the performance isn't there. On paper sure, but when you start making the on paper argument, you start assuming things. I'm just saying that 2005 was the best PROVEN rotation this org has ever seen.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)

That works for me. Pierre is a very marginal leadoff hitter, but he's a decent two-year stopgap for a team that's on a budget and hasn't had a legit leadoff guy since 2005. I'll take him over Pods in a New York minute.

If Kenny can bring Thome back for one more year on the cheap, I'll be pleased with this off-season.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
.329 and a .688 OPS in the 4 seasons leading up to his 2 good months last year. There's really no reason for me to believe we'll get anything better than a .325-.330 OBP out of him which is just dreadful since he his ISO will be well under .100. It's a stupid f***ing trade and a tremendous waste of money.

Plenty of teams have won with Juan Pierre at the top? Really? He's been on one team that made the playoffs with him as their leadoff hitter for a full season and that was '03 when he was 25. He has a grand total of 7 playoff PA since 2003.

Your newsletter, where can I sign up for it?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
I just don't see that much different in the 2 and you're getting rid of a fan favorite, meaning casual fans.

Podesdnik wasn't drawing people to the ballpark. I like him, but he isn't Pujols.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
Nevermind the fact they still hit 200 homeruns. Oh and had the best staff and pen this organization has ever had. All of which 2010 will not likely have.

Slow down. You're saying that the 2010 rotation won't be as good as 5 years ago? Really? Peavy-Buehrle-Danks-Floyd-Garcia doesn't seem pretty strong to you? It's currently one of the best rotations in the AL.

Regarding the trade, I see it as a decent move. Isn't stellar, but it isn't bad either. If he can do anything like what he did las tyear, or even a little less, he'll be a good pickup.

As for the PLTBNL, you can stop worrying (if you were in the first place). The guys they're giving up aren't anyone you should miss. Wish I could tell you more, but I can't at the moment.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
well that's my underlying point too, is that it's pretty touch to catch lightning in a bottle, ya know?

Except most of the staff is proven. That's the point. We don't have to pray that somebody, as you say, catches lightning in a bottle. Just have to pray for good health.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
Nevermind the fact they still hit 200 homeruns. Oh and had the best staff and pen this organization has ever had. All of which 2010 will not likely have.

this could be the end of the offseason for kw and if it is id like to see

1. Pierre LF

2. Becks 2b 25HR

3. Rios CF 25HR

4. CQ RF/DH 30HR

5. Kong 1B 30HR

6. AJP C 10HR

7. Jones RF/DH 25HR

8. Teahan 3B 20HR

9. Ramirez SS 20HR

get 15 homers from the bench and you got your 200 homers to go along with a pretty good staff

So, I just looked up Pierre's career stats. After looking at them and pondering, scratching my head, and drinking some root beer, I can't really see why we would want Pods over him...especially for the money. A career .301 hitter (yeah, yeah, I know NL vs. AL), 450+ stolen bases, and decent fielding stats. I'll take him over Pods for sure.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
Podesdnik wasn't drawing people to the ballpark. I like him, but he isn't Pujols.

Slow down. You're saying that the 2010 rotation won't be as good as 5 years ago? Really? Peavy-Buehrle-Danks-Floyd-Garcia doesn't seem pretty strong to you? It's currently one of the best rotations in the AL.

Regarding the trade, I see it as a decent move. Isn't stellar, but it isn't bad either. If he can do anything like what he did las tyear, or even a little less, he'll be a good pickup.

As for the PLTBNL, you can stop worrying (if you were in the first place). The guys they're giving up aren't anyone you should miss. Wish I could tell you more, but I can't at the moment.

Regarding the rotation, for the last time to clear things up. I like it, HOWEVER, I want to see Peavy actually stay healthy, ditto Garcia. I am not as high on Floyd and Hudson as most. A Buehrle disappeared after the perfect game. Just sayin'.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)

1. Pierre LF

2. Becks 2b 25HR

3. Rios CF 25HR

4. CQ RF/DH 30HR

5. Kong 1B 30HR

6. AJP C 10HR

7. Jones RF/DH 25HR

8. Teahan 3B 20HR

9. Ramirez SS 20HR

get 15 homers from the bench and you got your 200 homers to go along with a pretty good staff

Those are the most generous projections I have ever seen. You're at minimum 35 HR too high.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 06:45 PM)

1. Pierre LF

2. Becks 2b 25HR

3. Rios CF 25HR

4. CQ RF/DH 30HR

5. Kong 1B 30HR

6. AJP C 10HR

7. Jones RF/DH 25HR

8. Teahan 3B 20HR

9. Ramirez SS 20HR

If this is the end of the offseason for KW, then he did a horrible job. Thankfully there's a lot of DH type players still available, so I'm confident it's not the end of the offseason.