sox close to another deal?

chisox2334

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
I wait expectantly :)

I think you guys will end up waiting. The Sox aren't in any hurry at this point. They can afford to be very patient. In Kenny/Ozzie's eyes the club has one hole, the middle of the order, and he has a few months to plug that hole, so he can wait and get his guy at the right price.

That doesn't mean Kenny is just sitting around and kicking the tires on DH's though, he'll always listen and always ask about guys and if he hears that a good player is available, you can bet your butt, Kenny will come knocking.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
I gotta say over the years being here there are certain people that you can trust as far as whitesox happenings and I trust my guys running soxnet cause they wont say something just to throw s*** and see what sticks. That just isnt their style and they operate with a lot more professionalism than that.

That’s what pissed me off so much about the Cowley thing. I guess I’m a little defensive, but I trust all the guys over here. And for Cowley to do what he did publically really set me off.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
I'd like to confirm that I heard the same thing, just sayin..

You heard anything about the names? Reading between the lines of what I heard, I expect it to be a young player that will cost a lot. I know we just did a deal with the Dodgers, but they have a ton of holes and a need in the rotation and no room to really add payroll.

I wonder if the Sox could find a way to put together a massive package to acquire Andre Ethier.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
That’s what pissed me off so much about the Cowley thing. I guess I’m a little defensive, but I trust all the guys over here. And for Cowley to do what he did publically really set me off.

Ya know, I used to get that way too. but in the end I taught myself this: You know the truth, the SoxTalk people know the truth, and a lot of the people around here know the truth. In the end, that's all that matters.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
You heard anything about the names? Reading between the lines of what I heard, I expect it to be a young player that will cost a lot. I know we just did a deal with the Dodgers, but they have a ton of holes and a need in the rotation and no room to really add payroll.

I wonder if the Sox could find a way to put together a massive package to acquire Andre Ethier.

D2, Hudson, Morel + some?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)

Then we could have an :) entire LA Dodgers OF!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
I think you guys will end up waiting. The Sox aren't in any hurry at this point. They can afford to be very patient. In Kenny/Ozzie's eyes the club has one hole, the middle of the order, and he has a few months to plug that hole, so he can wait and get his guy at the right price.

That doesn't mean Kenny is just sitting around and kicking the tires on DH's though, he'll always listen and always ask about guys and if he hears that a good player is available, you can bet your butt, Kenny will come knocking.

But at the same time, whoever is on the other end of negotiations knows that KW still needs that bat, and as the offseason moves on, there'll be fewer options.

In other words, let's get this moving because the anticipation is too much. At least drop a hint.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)

At the end of the day, its all good. I know people respect the site and if someone hasn't heard of us or doesn't trust us, that is their loss, imo.

I think back to a day where I was the only person reporting something about Brandon McCarthy, everyone else in the media was saying one thing and I was saying the opposite. Little did they know, I was getting the info straight from the horses mouth, haha.

We try to do things in as honest and ethical manner as possible and will always do that. If we don't have a basis, we won't report it as a rumor, if we haven't heard anything and someone else is reporting it, we'll publish the info so our readers can see it and link to the source of who is reporting (ie, Cowley/Gonzalez/Whomever) and give our take.

Most of the time we won't have the scoop, but that doesn't mean we don't have some scoops. Clearly we don't get paid to do what we do so we aren't always around or chatting with our contacts on a regular basis. But when we do hear something juicy, we try to pass it on and depending on the significant it might just be a blurb in a post or twitter or it might be an article.

Just think back to some of the stuff I've b****ed about Swisher for, ahahaa.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)

We both know the Dodgers are in total chaos, but I can't see them trading Ethier - I think their fanbase would revolt.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
At the end of the day, its all good. I know people respect the site and if someone hasn't heard of us or doesn't trust us, that is their loss, imo.

I think back to a day where I was the only person reporting something about Brandon McCarthy, everyone else in the media was saying one thing and I was saying the opposite. Little did they know, I was getting the info straight from the horses mouth, haha.

We try to do things in as honest and ethical manner as possible and will always do that. If we don't have a basis, we won't report it as a rumor, if we haven't heard anything and someone else is reporting it, we'll publish the info so our readers can see it and link to the source of who is reporting (ie, Cowley/Gonzalez/Whomever) and give our take.

Most of the time we won't have the scoop, but that doesn't mean we don't have some scoops. Clearly we don't get paid to do what we do so we aren't always around or chatting with our contacts on a regular basis. But when we do hear something juicy, we try to pass it on and depending on the significant it might just be a blurb in a post or twitter or it might be an article.

Just think back to some of the stuff I've b****ed about Swisher for, ahahaa.

This is really the only site I look into for Sox info. Even when what's posted here isn't true, it usually makes sense. Keep up the great work.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)

I've got to be honest, I think we are looking at a trade, and I honestly think we are giving up an impact player. I really think KW is shopping Quentin.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
But at the same time, whoever is on the other end of negotiations knows that KW still needs that bat, and as the offseason moves on, there'll be fewer options.

In other words, let's get this moving because the anticipation is too much. At least drop a hint.

He'll always have a fall back though, Vladdy. Vlad wouldn't sign a deal today for 6 or 6.5M per season. But given how few teams are looking for a DH, reality will set in, and he'll end up signing for a bit less. He might get some nice incenvites but his base pay will fall into the reasonable range and Kenny can use that as leverage.

There are also Jack Cust, Adam LaRoche, Jim Thome, Carlos Delgado, and Troy Glaus that he can use as leverage. Kenny should be in a position of power.

And I have no basis for my Ethier talk other than the fact that I f***ing love the guy and he'd fit into the Sox plans of an athletic player, who hits lefty. I'd assume he's damn near untouchable, but for the right package, and given the Dodgers problems due to the divorce, you never know.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
I've got to be honest, I think we are looking at a trade, and I honestly think we are giving up an impact player. I really think KW is shopping Quentin.

I wouldnt be upset. Quentin had one good year and was NEVER the same after the wrist injury. Remember, he was bad before he got hurt this past season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)

Do you think patience just means waiting some of these free agents out and hope the price comes down? I ws surprised that we might pick up maybe a half of Pierre's bloated salary. Plus after the deal some site I read was specualting that Andruw Jones was the full-time DH now. I doubt that is going to happen.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:25 PM)
I wouldnt be upset. Quentin had one good year and was NEVER the same after the wrist injury. Remember, he was bad before he got hurt this past season.

He was still on pace for about 30 homers if he had stayed healthy.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
We both know the Dodgers are in total chaos, but I can't see them trading Ethier - I think their fanbase would revolt.

Ya, the extent of the chaos though I think is still underpublished. They are literally f***ed. They have zero money and a mandate to cut pay. Add in the fact that the McCourts really have zero say due to the litigation going on and the 99% odds that after the divorce is settled, Frank won't have the money to finance the team and you are looking at a club that has "lame duck" ownership and no backing to do anything until the team is ultimately sold.

The problem is I'm hearing Frank will hold the team as long as possible and that means you won't have a sale for another year. Which means Coletti might have to get real creative in Dodger town.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)

If the Sox have soured on his long-term health status, now might be the only time to deal him. It would open up another hole though, but maybe Kenny thinks Kotsay/Jones will fill that hole. I certainly hope not.