sox close to another deal?

chisox2334

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
We both know the Dodgers are in total chaos, but I can't see them trading Ethier - I think their fanbase would revolt.

You ain't lyin'. I frequent Dodgerblues.com every now and then and Ethier is their Beckham, along with Clayton Kershaw. Man, the things I would do to see Kershaw in a White Sox uni. Seriously, his curveball makes me want to...nevermind. Too graphic.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
I've got to be honest, I think we are looking at a trade, and I honestly think we are giving up an impact player. I really think KW is shopping Quentin.

It's an interesting notion, but isn't that Filling a Hole by Creating a Hole? I don't like TCQ's injury history, but that would still leave no real DH.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
Do you think patience just means waiting some of these free agents out and hope the price comes down? I ws surprised that we might pick up maybe a half of Pierre's bloated salary. Plus after the deal some site I read was specualting that Andruw Jones was the full-time DH now. I doubt that is going to happen.

Jones was never told he was the full-time DH. In fact its been made very obvious to him that he can compete and get at bats if he shows up and kicks ass (just like any player would), but that he won't be the primary DH.

I'm very thankful of that. Obviously things can change, but it would be a massive mistake to rely on Jones as our full-time DH. In fact, it would be a complete disaster.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
His value would be good, but not super high given that he had an injury riddled 2009 campaign. But package Q with other guys and you should be able to get a budding star.

Would you do Quentin + Flowers + Danks2 + throw in for A Gonzalez?

Your outfield is Pierre, Rios, Jones/Kotsay, and Paulie is the DH.

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
You ain't lyin'. I frequent Dodgerblues.com every now and then and Ethier is their Beckham, along with Clayton Kershaw. Man, the things I would do to see Kershaw in a White Sox uni. Seriously, his curveball makes me want to...nevermind. Too graphic.

Ya, Kershaw and Ethier are studs. There is also Kemp and Loney, both of whom are pretty damn solid too.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
It's an interesting notion, but isn't that Filling a Hole by Creating a Hole? I don't like TCQ's injury history, but that would still leave no real DH.

I think we are committed to Quentin in the Sox OF. He has too much upside. I also forgot that besides the DH we still need a back up catcher. So is KW looking trade or free agent?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
I've got to be honest, I think we are looking at a trade, and I honestly think we are giving up an impact player. I really think KW is shopping Quentin.

I still think the PK to Angels trade for one top minor league prospect, which we can then use with some of our prospects for Gonzo makes a lot of sense.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
Would you do Quentin + Flowers + Danks + throw in for A Gonzalez?

I think that would way to much,even for Gonzalez. If he's using Quentin, i would think Quentin and Hudson should be enough. SD would ask for more but the most i would add to that is a lower rated prospect,maybe Retherford.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
I think we are committed to Quentin in the Sox OF. He has too much upside. I also forgot that besides the DH we still need a back up catcher. So is KW looking trade or free agent?

Flowers or Mike Redmond will be the guy. Ozzie loves Redmond and I think they will ultimately go that route. Redmond is very good defensively and is very familiar with the division.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 09:42 PM)
Isn't Boston in great shape to get Gonzalez now since they signed Lackey and Cameron?

If there's any team that will have to pay an absolute full premium to get Gonzalez, it'd be Boston. Hoyer obviously knows everything about the Boston system and would demand the best. He knows who is all hype and who can cut it. He's not going to bend over for his old team. And if he did, he'd probably be accused of collusion. I don't think they can pull it off without giving up Westmoreland, Kelley, and Buchholz as a start.

Edited by chunk23

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)

I'm not even sure I'd want to trade Danks for two years of Gonzalez, much less Quentin and a top prospect as well.

Plus, with the Padres rebuilding, they'd probably be more interested in Hudson. Hudson and Flowers for Gonzalez would make more sense.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
If there's any team that will have to pay an absolute full premium to get Gonzalez, it'd be Boston. Hoyer obviously knows everything about the Boston system and would demand the best. He knows who is all hype and who can cut it. He's not going to bend over for his old team. And if he did, he'd probably be accused of collusion. I don't think they can pull it off without given up Westmoreland, Kelley, and Buchholz as a start.

Their farm... is much, much better and I'm not even counting Buchholz.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)

We're trying to upgrade the offense. Adding Gonzalez while subtracting CQ and giving more PT to Jones and Kotsay is a lateral move.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
I'm not even sure I'd want to trade Danks for two years of Gonzalez, much less Quentin and a top prospect as well.

Plus, with the Padres rebuilding, they'd probably be more interested in Hudson. Hudson and Flowers for Gonzalez would make more sense.

I am pretty sure the original poster meant Jordan Danks, not John Danks. Or are you that high on the younger brother OF prospect.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
I am pretty sure the original poster meant Jordan Danks, not John Danks. Or are you that high on the younger brother OF prospect.

Yes, indeed I meant Jordan Danks, apologize for confusion.

I think bottom line is if you really trade away Quentin all you are getting in return is equal offense, which would make it a lateral move.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
Yes, indeed I meant Jordan Danks, apologize for confusion.

I think bottom line is if you really trade away Quentin all you are getting in return is equal offense, which would make it a lateral move.

Except A-gon is a MUCH better hitter than Quentin at this point.