sox close to another deal?

chisox2334

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would Danks (or Floyd), Quentin and a couple of our best prospects get the job done for Gonzalez or at least put us in a competitive race for him?

Can Boston decide if they want him or not - in other words, even after trading for Victor Martinez last season, do they still have enough to blow us, and other teams, away?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
Would Danks (or Floyd), Quentin and a couple of our best prospects get the job done for Gonzalez or at least put us in a competitive race for him?

Can Boston decide if they want him or not - in other words, even after trading for Victor Martinez last season, do they still have enough to blow us, and other teams, away?

Boston still has pleanty of depth in their farm even after the V-Mart trade last year. I wouldn't say they would blow us out of the water though. . We have a great amount of depth in the farm still. .

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
They've totally debunked the myth that you can't contend every year AND have a strong farm.

It's called good scouting, large budgets, and a willingness to pay over slot.

You can build a farm system in a hurry if you're willing to throw money at it.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
It's called good scouting, large budgets, and a willingness to pay over slot.

You can build a farm system in a hurry if you're willing to throw money at it.

Money helps. But money is a distant second to good scouting when it comes to something as inexact as projecting a bunch of 18-20 year olds. And it's not like the Red Sox are working with top 10 picks every year. What they've done the last 5 years or so in regards to their farm has been nothing short of fantastic.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
Money helps. But money is a distant second to good scouting when it comes to something as inexact as projecting a bunch of 18-20 year olds. And it's not like the Red Sox are working with top 10 picks every year. What they've done the last 5 years or so in regards to their farm has been nothing short of fantastic.

Well, I get what you're saying here, but let's not pretend that the MLB draft is ANYTHING like the NFL or NBA draft.

Money is the great equalizer in the MLB draft...

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
if its a free agent im hopin for Adam Laroach or russell branyon

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
a deal for (Prince Fielder) would start with beckham no doubt

maybe Jenks, Flowers, Hudson and then some

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
Jenks, Ramirez, and Dayan for Berkman

I am SO glad you are not KW. Good lord

Would Adam Dunn be more appealing with a contract extension of 3-5 years? He just turned 30 so he's not too old and is still very much productive. It would be kinda like picking up Jermaine Dye before 2005.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
Would Adam Dunn be more appealing with a contract extension of 3-5 years? He just turned 30 so he's not too old and is still very much productive. It would be kinda like picking up Jermaine Dye before 2005.

Hell yeah he would. He's the model DH. And it's not like he can't play the field (even if he's terrible at it). Which seems to be a requirement now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
Hell yeah he would. He's the model DH. And it's not like he can't play the field (even if he's terrible at it). Which seems to be a requirement now.

Ozzie could put him in at 1st or left in a pinch for sure. Matsui and Vlad PHYSICALLY cannot play the positions anymore(at a mediocre level, that is). Dunn just has bad instincts, but if necessary could definitely play there

Another thing cutting against dealing Quentin is he is a virtual bargain if he lives up to his potential.

Getting hit in the wrist is more of a freak thing, and his plantar fascitis should be cleared up this year. He should have a big year and easily outproduce his cheap contract.

QUOTE (JDSox @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
Another thing cutting against dealing Quentin is he is a virtual bargain if he lives up to his potential.

Getting hit in the wrist is more of a freak thing, and his plantar fascitis should be cleared up this year. He should have a big year and easily outproduce his cheap contract.

I think the Sox would be making a massive mistake moving Quentin. He's a good guy whose works his ass off and is reportedly in great shape. The upside is too high and his contract is really too much of a bargain. This guy is a potential MVP whom the club has under control for a few more years. It would be a massive mistake to move him, unless, you are getting a budding superstar in return.

I can`t envision a trade that involves CQ that I would be for anymore. I was OK with the idea of trading CQ to Tampa for Upton because Upton could have been our leadoff and we could then have tried to get middle of the order power somewhere else. With the Pierre trade, any trade of CQ seems stupid to me UNLESS the Sox have a good inclination that the injuries the past two years are going to keep CQ from ever reaching his full potential.