sox close to another deal?

chisox2334

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
Until John Danks signs an extention, he is more and more likely with each passing day to get included in some sort of blockbuster. If Dan Hudson emerges, it could be sooner versus later.
I've been thinking the same thing ever since he turned down that contract.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
I think people keep glossing over this quote. To me this means that he IS actively pursuing people right now, just trying to balance it with someone Ozzie likes ie Ozzie is pissed that KW wants Bradley. Just a suggestion.

I think the Bradley discussion happened, but they are over at this point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)
He is giving himself leverage in negotiations. It is vintage Kenny.

Yes it is. After he whined about attendance and cried poor last year, weeks before acquiring Peavy and Rios, I'll never believe a thing he says for public consumption again. That's what good GMs do.

Where the club is right now after the JP trade, Kenny definately will add a power lefty bat. I am guessing Delgato on a low base incentive deal. Doesn't feel right to gut the farm right now for AGonn or Dunn although they would be welcome additions. Delgato is coming off of hip sugury and is supposed to be playing winterball.

QUOTE (cornball @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
Where the club is right now after the JP trade, Kenny definately will add a power lefty bat. I am guessing Delgato on a low base incentive deal. Doesn't feel right to gut the farm right now for AGonn or Dunn although they would be welcome additions. Delgato is coming off of hip sugury and is supposed to be playing winterball.

...and has been vocal in the past about not wanting to play here.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
...and has been vocal in the past about not wanting to play here.

Peavy didn't want to play here, either, at a point in time, but he changed his mind, so I don't put a whole lot of stock in what Carlos may or may not have said several years ago on this subject. I think it makes a lot of sense to go after him if he can be had at a reasonable price and skip trading away the likes of Flowers, Hudson, Danks, etc. Delgado is only one year removed from having a monster year with the Mets, and so if he is healthy, he might look pretty good sandwiched in between Quentin and Konerko in our line-up.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
Yes it is. After he whined about attendance and cried poor last year, weeks before acquiring Peavy and Rios, I'll never believe a thing he says for public consumption again. That's what good GMs do.

This has happened soooo many times under Kenny Williams, you can't believe a word the guys tells you.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
I think people keep glossing over this quote. To me this means that he IS actively pursuing people right now, just trying to balance it with someone Ozzie likes ie Ozzie is pissed that KW wants Bradley. Just a suggestion.

agreed. It may or may not materialize, but I don't believe for one second that KW sees the roster as done for Opening Day.

QUOTE (cornball @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)

Dunn is in the last year of his contract, isn't he? I certainly wouldn't gut the farm for him then. I could see him wanting to stay here if we trade for him and win the World Series though.

Ok just for s***s and giggles.

White Sox get Victor Martínez

Red Sox get AJ Pierzynski and Adrian González

Padres get Red Sox prospects and White Sox prospect.

The Red Sox get the big prize.

The Padres get a boat load of prospects to rebuild with.

The White Sox improve the line up and Ozzie has another member for the DH/1B/OF/C rotation.

Edited by supernuke

QUOTE (supernuke @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
Ok just for s***s and giggles.

White Sox get Victor Martínez

Red Sox get AJ Pierzynski and Adrian González

Padres get Red Sox prospects and White Sox prospect.

The Red Sox get the big prize.

The Padres get a boat load of prospects to rebuild with.

The White Sox improve the line up and Ozzie has another member for the DH/1B/OF/C rotation.

From some of the horrid proposals we've gotten on this board, this one is actually a good one, and doesn't seem to be far-fetched and though I want Adrian here (realistically it won't happen) I would love to get Victor Martinez. I don't think KW has the balls to trade A.J. to upgrade at the catcher position (Victor Martinez is really, really good and he's younger) however and I don't know what Victor's contract looks like either. It also makes sense as far as Ozzie's little DH rotation as Victor can be a C/1B/DH. Thing is though... the spect(s) we are giving up would have to be a good one for Boston to even consider to downgrade at the catcher position. Plus Boston might be a team is on A.J.'s 6 team NTC list.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
I wonder why people haven't talked about Flowers possibly being the DH? He could rotate with AJ behind the plate and get a decent amount of ABs in the DH hole. Sounds like a nice transition to me. Just go out and sign a DH next year. . .

Wouldn't work if he is the backup catcher.

I wonder why people haven't talked about Flowers possibly being the DH? He could rotate with AJ behind the plate and get a decent amount of ABs in the DH hole. Sounds like a nice transition to me. Just go out and sign a DH next year. . .

I really think Flowers will get at least a half year in Charlotte. There are plenty of backup catchers out there right now.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
Wouldn't work if he is the backup catcher.

It sure could. Ozzie just has to realize the risk of getting caught with the pitcher DH'ing is incredibly minimal.

How many games in his White Sox career has AJ left in the middle of the game because of injury or being ejected?

QUOTE (lakervin @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
id rather have aj over victor,even though both are weak behind the plate

Huh? A.J. handles pitchers like an absolute pro and has gotten a lot better at throwing out runners over the past couple of years.

That said, I'd take V-Mart in a second because of his age and bat. And there's about a snowball's chance in hell that Epstein's going to let him go.

He needs more time in the minors.. atleast a year. His numbers aren't that great offensively down there yet.