5. Garcia

Bullpen:

1. Jenks

2. Thornton

3. Putz

4. Linebrink

5. Pena

6. Williams

We have no DH, no backup CF, no secondary IF, and no LR.

We simply cannot go into the season with only 1 IF option because then if an IF gets hurt/taken out of a game you have to either DL someone or send a player down (meaning you have to expose him to waivers if he's out of options) to call up another IF, so I imagine we'll be getting another one of those or else we'll have another exciting Nix/Lillibridge/etc. battle in ST. I would guess the Sox are one of the teams interested in Alfredo Amezaga since he would be a backup CF and a secondary IF.

After that there's one spot left, meaning we either go with Hudson as a LR and a Jones/Kotsay vomitfest at DH, or else we have no LR (maybe we bring in Linebrink to "keep us in games?") and pick up a cheap DH.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Position players:

1. Konerko 1B

2. Pierzynski C

3. Beckham 2B

4. Ramirez SS

5. Teahen 3B

6. Pierre LF

7. Rios CF

8. Quentin RF

9. Vizquel IF

10. Jones OF

11. Kotsay OF

12. ??? Backup C

Starters:

1. Peavy

2. Buehrle

3. Floyd

4. Danks

5. Garcia

Bullpen:

1. Jenks

2. Thornton

3. Putz

4. Linebrink

5. Pena

6. Williams

We have no DH, no backup CF, no secondary IF, and no LR.

Jones and Pierre are the back up CF I would guess. Kotsay backs up 1B and Vizquel backs up 2B, 3B, and SS. So, basically they need to go out and get a DH and a bullpen guy.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
Jones and Pierre are the back up CF I would guess. Kotsay backs up 1B and Vizquel backs up 2B, 3B, and SS. So, basically they need to go out and get a DH and a bullpen guy.

You're missing the point. Let's say Beckham gets hit with a pitch and has a sore thumb. He's day-to-day, so we don't want to DL him for 15 days retroactive to the incident. That means Vizquel has to become the everyday 2B until Beckham comes back and we have nobody to cover the IF should someone else go down or need a day off. To pick up that extra IF we would have to send down a player, meaning if he's out of options we would have to expose him to waivers. Let's say we have Hudson on the team in this scenario and we send him down to call up Lillibridge or someone like that. Then if Beckham comes back pretty soon we have to wait on Hudson before we can call him up again, because there is a minimum number of days a player has to be active on a minor league roster before he can return.

IMO there's no way that is happening. We'll have a secondary IF.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
You're missing the point. Let's say Beckham gets hit with a pitch and has a sore thumb. He's day-to-day, so we don't want to DL him for 15 days retroactive to the incident. That means Vizquel has to become the everyday 2B until Beckham comes back and we have nobody to cover the IF should someone else go down or need a day off. To pick up that extra IF we would have to send down a player, meaning if he's out of options we would have to expose him to waivers. Let's say we have Hudson on the team in this scenario and we send him down to call up Lillibridge or someone like that. Then if Beckham comes back pretty soon we have to wait on Hudson before we can call him up again, because there is a minimum number of days a player has to be active on a minor league roster before he can return.

IMO there's no way that is happening. We'll have a secondary IF.

As of right now, this player is Jayson Nix.

The 40man roster is at 40, and there is no place for any additions.

On the other hand a trade might be happening soon, to mix it all up.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)

Agree Nix is probably that guy now, but the Sox will make him compete for it if they don't bring in somebody else.

The 40-man isn't a big deal. The Sox could always hand Mr. Marquez his walking papers. Armstrong and Torres are on there too, so no big deal if we want to sign someone.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
Agree Nix is probably that guy now, but the Sox will make him compete for it if they don't bring in somebody else.

The 40-man isn't a big deal. The Sox could always hand Mr. Marquez his walking papers. Armstrong and Torres are on there too, so no big deal if we want to sign someone.

As long as it isn't Lillibridge

He have like 4 guys that can play CF. As for backup infielder, that is clearly Nix.

This is our current roster. For the starters, I listed where they are predicted to start first and then the other positions they can play.

1. Konerko 1B

2. Beckham 2B/SS/3B

3. Ramirez SS/2B

4. Teahen 3B/2B/RF/LF

5. Pierre LF/CF

6. Rios CF/RF

7. Quentin RF/LF

8. Jones All OF

9. Kotsay All OF/1B

10. Nix 2B/SS/3B

11. Vizquel 2B/SS/3B

12. DH yet to sign

13. Pierzynski C

14. Backup C yet to sign (or Flowers, whatever they decide)

Then you have the 5 starters and a bullpen of Jenks, Thornton, Putz, Linebrink, Pena, and Hudson.

14+5+6=25

Note: Williams should be no where near this team.

Edited by PeavyTime

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)

Yea, I think you're right. I think this team is more versatile than Kenny Hates Prospects thinks, this is how I see the team:

Lineup/Starters:

1. Juan Pierre (LF) (backup CF)

2. Beckham (2B) (backup 3B)

3. Carlos Quentin (RF/DH)

4. Konerko (1B) (some time at DH)

5. Jones (DH) (backup LF/CF/RF)

6. Rios (CF) (backup RF)

7. AJP ©

8. Alexei (SS)

9. Teahen (3B) (backup 1B/LF)

Bench

10. Koskie (1B/RF/LF)

11. Nix (2B/SS)

12. Vizquel (2B/SS)

13. backup catcher (I think Flowers should be in AAA for seasoning)

Rotation

14. 1. Peavy

15. 2. Danks

16. 3. Floyd

17. 4. Buehrle

18. 5. Garcia

Bullpen

19. Long Relief: Torres (Hudson in AAA)

20. Loogy: Williams

21. MR: Linebrink

22. MR: Pena

23. Set-up: Putz

24. Set-up: Thornton

25. Closer: Jenks

If not this, then I can see an alternate scenario where Torres is in AAA along with Hudson to wait in the wings in case Garcia falters in the 5th starter role and the Sox get a big left-handed bat such as Adrian Gonzalez or Dunn, which would relegate Jones to the bench.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
He have like 4 guys that can play CF. As for backup infielder, that is clearly Nix.

This is our current roster. For the starters, I listed where they are predicted to start first and then the other positions they can play.

1. Konerko 1B

2. Beckham 2B/SS/3B

3. Ramirez SS/2B

4. Teahen 3B/2B/RF/LF

5. Pierre LF/CF

6. Rios CF/RF

7. Quentin RF/LF

8. Jones All OF

9. Kotsay All OF/1B

10. Nix 2B/SS/3B

11. Vizquel 2B/SS/3B

12. DH yet to sign

13. Pierzynski C

Then you have the 5 starters and a bullpen of Jenks, Thornton, Putz, Linebrink, Pena, and Hudson.

14+5+6=25

Darn it! You beat me to it. :(

:'(

...:(

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)

1. Konerko 1B

2. Beckham 2B/SS/3B

3. Ramirez SS/2B

4. Teahen 3B/2B/RF/LF

5. Pierre LF/CF

6. Rios CF/RF

7. Quentin RF/LF

8. Jones All OF

9. Kotsay All OF/1B

10. Nix 2B/SS/3B

11. Vizquel 2B/SS/3B

12. DH yet to sign

13. Pierzynski C

14+5+6=25

I think what original poster is trying to point out is that we are most likely are going to have a 7 men bullpen.

With that said, assuming the backup catcher is Flowers/FA, as of right now there is no space for a DH, if they send Nix to AAA, and sign a DH there is no one to backup the IF other than Vizquel. Hopefully I'm making sense here.

EDIT: If we are going with 6 man bullpen than, we can still sign a DH and Nix stays on the roster as the second IF backup.

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (monomach @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
All of the Williams hate on this board is weird. The man is an outstanding LOOGY. It's Ozzie misusing him and allowing him to face righties that makes him look like crap. Go check out his splits.

You base this off of him facing 37 batters last season? No thanks. Besides, we can't waste a roster spot on a "LOOGY." Our staff dictates a 6 man pen. It will also give Ozzie extra flexibility to have another bat off the bench.

You base this off of him facing 37 batters last season? No thanks. Besides, we can't waste a roster spot on a "LOOGY." Our staff dictates a 6 man pen. It will also give Ozzie extra flexibility to have another bat off the bench.

Nooooo....I base this on his lifetime split.

vs left

26.1 ip

21 hits

10 walks

32 strikeouts

1.18 WHIP

vs right

22.1 ip

28 hits

21 walks

15 strikeouts

2.19 WHIP

That is pretty good.

I'm not sure where you're getting the 6 man pen from...? We've been carrying 7 for years, even when we had a good rotation.

Every time we've carried 11, it ended up sucking pretty quickly and they added one more.

Edited by monomach

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
I think what original poster is trying to point out is that we are most likely are going to have a 7 men bullpen.

With that said, assuming the backup catcher is Flowers/FA, as of right now there is no space for a DH, if they send Nix to AAA, and sign a DH there is no one to backup the IF other than Vizquel. Hopefully I'm making sense here.

EDIT: If we are going with 6 man bullpen than, we can still sign a DH and Nix stays on the roster as the second IF backup.

Ozzie likes carrying 7 relievers. Now they may ultimately not go that route, especially since the club has a strong rotation, on paper, but another option would be for the club to release one of its outfielders at the start of training camp. The most likely candidate for that would be Andruw Jones.

I think Jones has a lot of pressure to show up and play.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
Ozzie likes carrying 7 relievers. Now they may ultimately not go that route, especially since the club has a strong rotation, on paper, but another option would be for the club to release one of its outfielders at the start of training camp. The most likely candidate for that would be Andruw Jones.

I think Jones has a lot of pressure to show up and play.

When has this ever been the case? Ozzie has ALWAYS stated that he would take extra bench help over an extra reliever. And Jones is your 4th outfielder. You can't just cut him.