Chris Henry Dies

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
Meh you really turned the douche factor up to 10 on those posts and the replies reflect it, that's why you haven't heard anything from me. If you had chosen to write it differently then people would've responded differently, but you didn't and they aren't.

Yeah, I'll admit. I cranked the d factor up for effect.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 05:42 PM)
How dare you sarcastically speak ill of a human?

So you're implying you were being sarcastic now? You made your feelings on the subject known. Don't try and backtrack now. And it's nothing personal from my standpoint by the way. I've got no problem with you at all. You just came off in extremely poor taste. If you go the route of Shack, I guarantee you wouldn't have gotten the reception you did.

Steve got ripped because he dropped a "he gawn." That was a classless move, no doubt about it because it's like you were openly rooting for him to die.

The guy has his issues, but I don't wish death upon him. But, Steve's right in that he did kind of have it coming to him, and he could have ended up killing that girl, who knows how it could have ended. Probably another arrest, at the least.

Again, I wasn't rooting for him to die. I was hoping he would survive this and start to turn his life around - don't we all hope people turn their lives around?

I will also say this. His kids are better off not having him as a father. Just because someone is your biological Dad doesn't make it great to have him around. A lot of kids are worse off for being with their fathers, and other kids are better off for being raised by someone else. I don't really see how that can be argued.

Bernstein said it best at the end of the show. If you're a terrible person the best way to turn your life around...is to die. Then some people start feeling sad and saying great things about you.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 10:13 PM)
I'll say it... that piece of sh*t gets what was coming to him.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
He gawn.

Wow.

One of the douchiest things I've seen come from this site in a long time.

I don't care that he's had problems in the past or that he did something stupid (jumping in the back of a pickup) but to say he got was coming to him and to mock it with the "he gawn" after the guy died? Wow. That's low. And actually kinda pathetic. I wouldn't have expected that out of you.

Its funny how this guy is being portrayed on TV, but when they try to dive into the story, its either slightly football related or its the "he was GOING to turn his life around." RIP and all, but this shouldnt be a day-long story, plenty of better people than him died tragically yesterday.

I'd like to add one more thing to this thread, and once again, I apologize in advance to anyone I may offend.

Drugs are not the issue here. You can say Chris Henry was a terrible person because he drank too much, he did too much weed, maybe he snorted a little coke or smoked a little crack, we don't really know. But I know plenty of white guys that smoke weed all the time - we all do actually - and it is looked at in a completely different manner. I can guarantee you Charlie Sheen parties a hell of a lot harder than Chris Henry ever dreamed of partying, and yet, Charlie is a "fun" successful actor and Henry is labeled a "terrible" person.

The key here, at least in my opinion, is the difference between growing up amongst poverty and violence (often times brought on by that poverty), and combining it with the drugs and alcohol.

There is a complete double standard when it comes to the way people who use drugs and alcohol in this country are viewed, and it has nothing to do with the drugs or alcohol themselves. It's the socioeconomic conditions that interact with that drug and alcohol use that often determine how people view the people participating.

There are countless examples of entertainers (actors, musicians, athletes, etc) that abuse drugs and alcohol, and as long as you do so in the right socioeconomic conditions (read wealthy), it's laughed at or celebrated even. Yet if you do so amongst the wrong socioeconomic conditions (read poor), you're troubled or terrible.

Chris Henry was not a terrible person because he smoked weed and drank. He was a troubled or possibly even terrible person because he grew up amongst poverty and violence, and never learned how to rise above it.

I don't think we should confuse the two.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
Steve got ripped because he dropped a "he gawn." That was a classless move, no doubt about it because it's like you were openly rooting for him to die.

The guy has his issues, but I don't wish death upon him. But, Steve's right in that he did kind of have it coming to him, and he could have ended up killing that girl, who knows how it could have ended. Probably another arrest, at the least.

Again, I wasn't rooting for him to die. I was hoping he would survive this and start to turn his life around - don't we all hope people turn their lives around?

I will also say this. His kids are better off not having him as a father. Just because someone is your biological Dad doesn't make it great to have him around. A lot of kids are worse off for being with their fathers, and other kids are better off for being raised by someone else. I don't really see how that can be argued.

Bernstein said it best at the end of the show. If you're a terrible person the best way to turn your life around...is to die. Then some people start feeling sad and saying great things about you.

Your post was great until you brought up Bernstein. Dan Berstein is a tool in every sense of the word. He acts as if his s*** don't stink and if you dare disagree with him you're the retard of retards (don't even get me started on Boers). I wouldn't be referencing Dan Berstein in attempt to sell a particular point. His opinion means no more than some random bum on a street corner.

Yikes, when did this board become the moral center of the world?

Steve, I agree with you 99.9%. I wouldn't WISH death upon him, but i'm certainly not going to sit back and reflect on a "loss" society just suffered. Clean the gene pool of people like this I say. I love when people try to spin this "tragedy." If he was in the midst of attempting to kill someone, and got shot, would we all be saying "oh what a terrible tragedy! oh whoa is me! He was TRYING to turn his life around!"

The fact is this guy was a waste of flesh, was a complete thug his entire 26 year life, STILL got paid millions and millions to play an f'n game, and (in all likelihood) was killed being a complete moron while attempting domestic violence. Where is the tragedy exactly? If Steve get's the douchiest post of the year, Chris Henry get's a Darwin Award.

And how has no one commented on his girlfriends myspace post?! WTF is that?! How long does it take to type that out?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)

Steve, I agree with you 99.9%. I wouldn't WISH death upon him, but i'm certainly not going to sit back and reflect on a "loss" society just suffered. Clean the gene pool of people like this I say. I love when people try to spin this "tragedy." If he was in the midst of attempting to kill someone, and got shot, would we all be saying "oh what a terrible tragedy! oh whoa is me! He was TRYING to turn his life around!"

The fact is this guy was a waste of flesh, was a complete thug his entire 26 year life, STILL got paid millions and millions to play an f'n game, and (in all likelihood) was killed being a complete moron while attempting domestic violence. Where is the tragedy exactly? If Steve get's the douchiest post of the year, Chris Henry get's a Darwin Award.

And how has no one commented on his girlfriends myspace post?! WTF is that?! How long does it take to type that out?

As an attorney, you should know more than most that it's all about the way you phrase your argument or present your position.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)

Who's doing that, though? Who's saying Chris Henry was some kinda angel and is a victim? NOBODY. But there's a way to go about certain things. What if we found out Jason was a drug dealer and he had a history of beating women? We would all feel bad because we know (or at least we think we know) him as the mastermind behind this great site. What if you had a family member who had a similar past such as Henry? I promise you there wouldn't be a single person from this board saying something like 'well, that Jason, he was scum and deserved what he got." Or something like "My uncle Mike deserves what he got because he was such a terrible person." There would be sympathy.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
Who's doing that, though? Who's saying Chris Henry was some kinda angel and is a victim? NOBODY. But there's a way to go about certain things. What if we found out Jason was a drug dealer and he had a history of beating women? We would all feel bad because we know (or at least we think we know him) as the mastermind behind this great site. I promise you there wouldn't be a single person from this board saying something like 'well, that Jason, he was scum and deserved what he got." There would be sympathy.

I didn't say anyone was. But i don't think saying "asshole of the year" and whatnot is really an appropriate response, that's all.

Edit: When I said "people" I meant in a general sense. Why is there sympathy for a loss of a wasted life? Is it sad for the family? Sure. But I don't think saying "he get got what was coming to him" says anything about the grief some people close to him might feel. It's a comment towards that specific individual.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 07:43 PM)
I didn't say anyone was. But i don't think saying "asshole of the year" and whatnot is really an appropriate response, that's all.

Edit: When I said "people" I meant in a general sense. Why is there sympathy for a loss of a wasted life? Is it sad for the family? Sure. But I don't think saying "he get got what was coming to him" says anything about the grief some people close to him might feel. It's a comment towards that specific individual.

Well I didn't say 'asshole' of the year. I can only speak for myself. But 'he gawn,' IMO, is just straight over the top classless. And who are you to determine that at 26 he was a wasted life?? Is Marvin Lewis lying? Is Caron Palmer lying? Is X person lying when they say he was trying to turn his life around? Like I said earlier, I don't come from a family of flawless people. I've got an uncle who I love dearly, a guy that's probably gotten in more s*** than Henry had. So I can naturally have a bit more sympathy.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)

Again, most of us here are the product of normal, reasonably well-off childhoods and lifestyles. You can't argue that those things don't heavily contribute to being a successful person.

I'm not condoning the kind of life that Chris Henry apparently lived, but I'm not going to pretend as if I haven't had it a hell of a lot easier either.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 06:59 PM)
I'd like to add one more thing to this thread, and once again, I apologize in advance to anyone I may offend.

Drugs are not the issue here. You can say Chris Henry was a terrible person because he drank too much, he did too much weed, maybe he snorted a little coke or smoked a little crack, we don't really know. But I know plenty of white guys that smoke weed all the time - we all do actually - and it is looked at in a completely different manner. I can guarantee you Charlie Sheen parties a hell of a lot harder than Chris Henry ever dreamed of partying, and yet, Charlie is a "fun" successful actor and Henry is labeled a "terrible" person.

The key here, at least in my opinion, is the difference between growing up amongst poverty and violence (often times brought on by that poverty), and combining it with the drugs and alcohol.

There is a complete double standard when it comes to the way people who use drugs and alcohol in this country are viewed, and it has nothing to do with the drugs or alcohol themselves. It's the socioeconomic conditions that interact with that drug and alcohol use that often determine how people view the people participating.

There are countless examples of entertainers (actors, musicians, athletes, etc) that abuse drugs and alcohol, and as long as you do so in the right socioeconomic conditions (read wealthy), it's laughed at or celebrated even. Yet if you do so amongst the wrong socioeconomic conditions (read poor), you're troubled or terrible.

Chris Henry was not a terrible person because he smoked weed and drank. He was a troubled or possibly even terrible person because he grew up amongst poverty and violence, and never learned how to rise above it.

I don't think we should confuse the two.

Nobody is saying Chris Henry was a POS because he used drugs or alcohol. Also, Charlie Sheen has a reputation of being a scumbag pretty much across the board. Chris Henry is a POS because of his weapons charges, assaults, "alleged sexual assault" and numerous suspensions from the NFL and jail stints. Im not aware of Henrys childhood plagued by poverty so can you fill us in on where youre getting that from? The way he died says all that needs to be said. He was on IR from his career that pays him millions of dollars, riding on the back of a moving truck trying to smash in a window to get his his girl friend and mother of children and flew out.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
Your post was great until you brought up Bernstein. Dan Berstein is a tool in every sense of the word. He acts as if his s*** don't stink and if you dare disagree with him you're the retard of retards (don't even get me started on Boers). I wouldn't be referencing Dan Berstein in attempt to sell a particular point. His opinion means no more than some random bum on a street corner.

A lot of people hate Bernstein...but that final thing I posted...it's pretty spot on. I wasn't trying to prove my earlier points with that portion of the post, however. Just something kind of interesting he pointed out.

Bernstein acts like that because he is usually right and listens to idiots all day who have no basis for their argument or opinion. He invites them to prove their point, but they can't do it. Bernstein actually knows a ton about sports, Boers doesn't add nearly as much. You either like him/show or hate him/show...I like.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 07:58 PM)
Again, most of us here are the product of normal, reasonably well-off childhoods and lifestyles. You can't argue that those things don't heavily contribute to being a successful person.

I'm not condoning the kind of life that Chris Henry apparently lived, but I'm not going to pretend as if I haven't had it a hell of a lot easier either.

This isnt Oprah though. His background has nothing to do with the fact that his death should be a scrolling line on ESPN and nothing more. He was an idiot who just happened to play football when he died.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
But, Steve's right in that he did kind of have it coming to him.

Really? Ide say people who have it coming to them are more like murderers or rapists. There are plenty of people who have done one or multiple things that he has done, even on this board, do they all have death coming to them as well?

And anyways, no one knows exactly what happened so to say he was trying to chase and attack her is just a biased opinion so far. May it be the case? Possibly. If it were though, how would she have even had time to get into the truck and drive away. Im pretty sure that if he had wanted to attack and injure her, it would have happened long before she had gotten into the truck and started to drive away.

So just so im understanding this.. smoking weed, speeding, getting into fights, and drinking with underage people means you should prolly die? I better watch my back.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)

post 17

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)
This isnt Oprah though. His background has nothing to do with the fact that his death should be a scrolling line on ESPN and nothing more. He was an idiot who just happened to play football when he died.

That's easy for you to say, Rock. What's your background?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
A lot of people hate Bernstein...but that final thing I posted...it's pretty spot on. I wasn't trying to prove my earlier points with that portion of the post, however. Just something kind of interesting he pointed out.

Bernstein acts like that because he is usually right and listens to idiots all day who have no basis for their argument or opinion. He invites them to prove their point, but they can't do it. Bernstein actually knows a ton about sports, Boers doesn't add nearly as much. You either like him/show or hate him/show...I like.

He also has a really good vocabulary. That's fine. But he's not the messiah of sports radio show hosts. You know who's the s***? Lawrence Holmes. He's every bit as good, if not better than Bernstein, and he doesn't come off as if he walks on water.

Edited by Jordan4life