Sox claim Freddy Dolsi

flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 08:57 PM)
Before anyone else said it... This is a 100% Don Cooper special right here.

Let's just hope Coop does a better job with Dolsi than he did with MacDougal, Sisco, Aardsma, Cotts (after 2005), and Masset. He also needs to fix Linebrink, Pena, Putz and Jenks this year too.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)
Let's just hope Coop does a better job with Dolsi than he did with MacDougal, Sisco, Aardsma, Cotts (after 2005), and Masset. He also needs to fix Linebrink, Pena, Putz and Jenks this year too.

I read an interesting quote from Contreras who I read was throwing 95 when he went to Colorado. He said wherever he went, he wanted to take the Colo. pitching coach with him.

I'm not blaming Coop for Contreras, but this notiion that he fixes everyone is silly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)
I read an interesting quote from Contreras who I read was throwing 95 when he went to Colorado. He said wherever he went, he wanted to take the Colo. pitching coach with him.

I'm not blaming Coop for Contreras, but this notiion that he fixes everyone is silly.

Can Coop fix me? If he can add 25 MPH to my four seamer I may have a good shot next year. I should start working on my breaking pitches too. STEP ONE: learn a breaking pitch.

OMG no he had a failure! We should stop trading for anything but completely self-contained pitchers!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 08:58 AM)

agreed

The Colorado thin air is obviously the reason for that velocity increase.....duh!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
OMG no he had a failure! We should stop trading for anything but completely self-contained pitchers!

It wasn't even a failure. Its well known that part of what Coop preaches is taking a few ticks of speed, in order to get better consistency in delivery and location. Its part of his philosophy. so any uptick in velocity going elsewhere is simply indicative of a different style.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 08:34 AM)
It wasn't even a failure. Its well known that part of what Coop preaches is taking a few ticks of speed, in order to get better consistency in delivery and location. Its part of his philosophy. so any uptick in velocity going elsewhere is simply indicative of a different style.

DId everyone forget about Contreras the Yankees, and the first few years Jose was here?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)

Your insistence on trying to rip me for every post I make is making you not even pay attention to what I write. As I said, I didn't blame Cooper for Contreras' failures, but getting excited because of this notion that Cooper fixes everyone is silly. There have been plenty of guys that haven't exactly panned out.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 09:34 AM)

Yea, one perfect example is Nick Masset. Coop convinced Masset to taking a few mph off his pitches in order to get better control, yet when we trade Masset to the Reds he starts throwing 100mph again and puts up better stats. :(

Sometimes I think Coop should come up with catered plans for individual pitcher instead of having everyone follow the same philosophy.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
Tigers fans are thrilled that he's gone.

I haven't really seen much negative about him stats-wise except being wild and walking too many guys.

In other words...he's the kind of guy who Coop could be succesful with by taking a couple MPH off in exchange for control