Best Available Fit Left: Delgado

Marty34

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
I agree, Crede as DH would be good.

If we didn't already have Jones and were desperate for a DH, a one-year flyer on Joe for the league minimum might've been a decent idea. But I don't think that Jones and Crede could both fit on the 25-man roster.

Moreover, Joe is most likely done. A back injury that doesn't respond to two different surgeries isn't going away.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 07:09 AM)
While we're at it, we should also bring back Aaron Rowand or Chris Young.

I think the mental ship has finally sailed on these two. Crede and Delgado hang on like barnacles, certain people(elrockinMT Im looking at you) cant let some people go, no matter how physically handicapped

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)
I am hoping you are wrong, for good reason.

He's "only" 32 and last year his salary was only $1.5 million. Former Rookie of the Year in 2002, I would rather have him than Kotsay as the DH.

I never said it's ideal or perfect, but given our salary/payroll situation where it's at right now, I'm sure he's hovering somewhere on KW's Top 5 list of available options, largely based on the low salary we'd have to pay him for putting up a 775-850 OPS (not great, but okay) out of that spot.

He did hit a homer every 12 at-bats as a Yankee last season...Delgado's not realistic from a salary standpoint.

I see there's another thread about LaRoche, and I suppose that's possible, and so is Thome coming back, but I wouldn't discount Hinske too quickly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
He's "only" 32 and last year his salary was only $1.5 million. Former Rookie of the Year in 2002, I would rather have him than Kotsay as the DH.

I never said it's ideal or perfect, but given our salary/payroll situation where it's at right now, I'm sure he's hovering somewhere on KW's Top 5 list of available options, largely based on the low salary we'd have to pay him for putting up a 775-850 OPS (not great, but okay) out of that spot.

He did hit a homer every 12 at-bats as a Yankee last season...Delgado's not realistic from a salary standpoint.

I see there's another thread about LaRoche, and I suppose that's possible, and so is Thome coming back, but I wouldn't discount Hinske too quickly.

Eh... I think I'd rather take a chance with Andruw Jones getting some PT and winning the Comeback Player of the Year award.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
The Mets may have reduced interest in Carlos Delgado, according to Marty Noble of MLB.com. The slugger won't start playing baseball in Puerto Rico until mid-January; no reason was given for the delay.

Sounds like he's still not fully healthy...

Sounds like another reason for him to give a team a discount!

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
The Mets may have reduced interest in Carlos Delgado, according to Marty Noble of MLB.com. The slugger won't start playing baseball in Puerto Rico until mid-January; no reason was given for the delay.

Sounds like he's still not fully healthy...

Supposedly the hip he had surgery on still isn't ready for baseball action. I'm pretty sure I would stay away from him, if he would even consider White Sox offer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
Supposedly the hip he had surgery on still isn't ready for baseball action. I'm pretty sure I would stay away from him, if he would even consider White Sox offer.

Didn't know that. If he's still rehabbing right now, forget it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 07:37 AM)
This is the wall - no political posts past this point in this thread.

If there are any more posts of that nature after this point, they will be deleted, and other actions may be taken. Drop it.

Time to take the national anthem discussion to the buster. The wall was already put up and you guys walked through it.

If you want the thread split into the buster for discussion, fine, but the political talk doesnt belong here

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 07:30 AM)
Why? Even if we signed him, Crede would be a defensive upgrade over Teahen at 3rd (for however many games he could last). Not to mention that he's not really much of a hitter.

Crede would be a defensive downgrade over Teahen. He had a bunch of errors with the Sox in 2008 at a very alarming rate. He's just not the same player anymore and he no longer possess his gold glove-caliber defense capabilities.

With such a bad back problem, I don't know why people doesn't realize this. At this point of Crede's career, his defense will start being worse than average because of his back, he's deteriorating.

I'd prefer Teahen's defense over Crede's, and I'm not even a fan of Teahen.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
Crede would be a defensive downgrade over Teahen. He had a bunch of errors with the Sox in 2008 at a very alarming rate. He's just not the same player anymore and he no longer possess his gold glove-caliber defense capabilities.

With such a bad back problem, I don't know why people doesn't realize this. At this point of Crede's career, his defense will start being worse than average because of his back, he's deteriorating.

I'd prefer Teahen's defense over Crede's, and I'm not even a fan of Teahen.

Teahen is in no way shape, or form, a better defensive 3B than Joe Crede. I have no idea how you would even hint at something so ludicrous.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
Teahen is in no way shape, or form, a better defensive 3B than Joe Crede. I have no idea how you would even hint at something so ludicrous.

Crede was exceptional defensively last season. He just looked great out there. Crede had the second highest uzr/150 of all third baseman with over 1/3 of there games played at the position. His uzr/150 was 23.4 while posting a uzr of 12.5 in the 84 games played last season. Only jack hannahan posted a better uzr/150 at 27.7.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
Crede was exceptional defensively last season. He just looked great out there. Crede had the second highest uzr/150 of all third baseman with over 1/3 of there games played at the position. His uzr/150 was 23.4 while posting a uzr of 12.5 in the 84 games played last season. Only jack hannahan posted a better uzr/150 at 27.7.

Crede's glove has never been in question. I have no clue what the hell Southsidedon is talking about. Saying Mark Teahen is a better defensive 3B than Joe Crede is like saying Scott Podsednik's OF defense is superior than that of Franklin Gutierrez.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
Crede's glove has never been in question. I have no clue what the hell Southsidedon is talking about. Saying Mark Teahen is a better defensive 3B than Joe Crede is like saying Scott Podsednik's OF defense is superior than that of Franklin Gutierrez.

The only reason why I said Crede was a downgrade over Teahen is because of Crede's propensity of getting hurt.

One awkward movement, Crede's back is messed up. If anyone hurt their back, they know how much it can affect your range. For that reason alone, I'd rather not have Crede back no matter what.

Crede's defense is no longer as stellar as is was in 2005, either.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)

I'm pretty sure Hannahan's UZR/150 was actually in a small sample size. Crede was easily one of the best defensive 3B in all of baseball last year. He's up there with Longoria and Zimmerman.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 09:13 PM)
The only reason why I said Crede was a downgrade over Teahen is because of Crede's propensity of getting hurt.

One awkward movement, Crede's back is messed up. If anyone hurt their back, they know how much it can affect your range. For that reason alone, I'd rather not have Crede back no matter what.

Crede's defense is no longer as stellar as is was in 2005, either.

It might actually be better. Don't know how, but that's what the stats say.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
It might actually be better. Don't know how, but that's what the stats say.

Ok, here's where I think the grey area is:

Yes, Crede's stats were good for 2009...... but he only played in 90 games.

I'd rather have someone who can play 150 games or so and not have to worry about constant DL stints.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
I'm pretty sure Hannahan's UZR/150 was actually in a small sample size. Crede was easily one of the best defensive 3B in all of baseball last year. He's up there with Longoria and Zimmerman.

Both crede and hannahan played in 84 games, the difference is crede started all 84, and hannahan started in only 66 of his 84 games played. Crede played 728 innings and hannahan played 613. You can generally take something away from a season if a player starts at least one third of a season, which generally is my cut off.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 25, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
Yeah, if you want to pay him $8m a year....and he won't have his little short porch in left to launch to...

$8 million a year for 2 years is well worth it if he helps you win. His splits last year were 17 to 7 home vs. road homers, but in the past they have been pretty similar, and its not as if USCF isn't hitter friendly, and if its LF you are worried about, its a lot easier to take one out to LF at USCF than any of the Yankee Stadiums. Plus he can run. He's the perfect guy for the Sox right now. If they want to go cheap, its Thome or Vlad, but they won't be too much cheaper than Damon.

Edited by Dick Allen