Crisp near signing with Oakland

Princess Dye

Will be interesting to see what he gets vs. Pierre costs here.

ESPN sources say it will be a one year, 4.5 to 5M. Hmm...

Basically it was worth two prospects to the Sox to save a couple mil in 2010 at the leadoff spot. Well, that plus the fact that they're getting a healthier player who is coming off better recent production.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
Will be interesting to see what he gets vs. Pierre costs here.

ESPN sources say it will be a one year, 4.5 to 5M. Hmm...

Basically it was worth two prospects to the Sox to save a couple mil in 2010 at the leadoff spot. Well, that plus the fact that they're getting a healthier player who is coming off better recent production.

Well you also have to assume that the price would have been higher if the Sox were also bidding on him. Not a lot higher, but maybe $500k-$1M higher.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Well you also have to assume that the price would have been higher if the Sox were also bidding on him. Not a lot higher, but maybe $500k-$1M higher.

Yeah right. I don't think players want to play in Oakland.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)
Perhaps the White Sox believed that Pierre was a clearly better option than Crisp or Podsednik and/or combined with speculation on my part that they were asking for more money than the Sox were willing to pay.

I think Podsednik wanted more money, and I think they were concerned about the injuries with Crisp.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
Yeah right. I don't think players want to play in Oakland.

So? A good agent would parlay multiple offers or more interest into more money. His value automatically increases because more teams are interested.

Look at Putz. If KW is to be believed, the offer had to be upped by about $500k just because more teams suddenly were interested when word got out about the deal. Putz wanted to come to the Sox, but that doesn't mean they are going to take an offer well below market value.