Best Music of 2009

Rex Kickass

List your favorite albums and songs from 2009.

Royksopp - Junior

Yeah, the lyrics are sometimes really stupid, but the music is really just incredible. One of the best electronic records I've heard in a long time.

La Roux - s/t

Screw Lady Gaga, this band is really the best poppy dance album of the year. And the lead singer looks like a tranny Conan O'Brien who's dead on the inside. That's a total plus!

The Raveonettes - In and Out of Control

I've always loved this band since they appeared 6 or 7 years ago, and this album is a lot of fun. They've left a lot of the feedback behind and made a much more accessible album this year and they're songs are very after school special. It's like a Garage Band High School Guidance Counselor.

Passion Pit - Chunk of Change

Because I'm a hipster.

Gossip - Music for Men

I can't believe I love an album that Rick Rubin produced. But still, its punk meets dance pop + Beth Ditto.

Hess Is More - Hits

These guys are from Denmark and wacky. I saw their first ever show in the US and they gave me a bell to play, and the asian backup singer wrapped up members of the crowd in packing tape. But the music is really really well put together.

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

I think if you took the best part of the first three albums that Phoenix did and put them together, you'd get this album. For what they do, its just about perfect. In fact, they should break up now - before they ruin it with something less good.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 01:15 AM)
List your favorite albums and songs from 2009.

Royksopp - Junior

Yeah, the lyrics are sometimes really stupid, but the music is really just incredible. One of the best electronic records I've heard in a long time.

La Roux - s/t

Screw Lady Gaga, this band is really the best poppy dance album of the year. And the lead singer looks like a tranny Conan O'Brien who's dead on the inside. That's a total plus!

The Raveonettes - In and Out of Control

I've always loved this band since they appeared 6 or 7 years ago, and this album is a lot of fun. They've left a lot of the feedback behind and made a much more accessible album this year and they're songs are very after school special. It's like a Garage Band High School Guidance Counselor.

Passion Pit - Chunk of Change

Because I'm a hipster.

Gossip - Music for Men

I can't believe I love an album that Rick Rubin produced. But still, its punk meets dance pop + Beth Ditto.

Hess Is More - Hits

These guys are from Denmark and wacky. I saw their first ever show in the US and they gave me a bell to play, and the asian backup singer wrapped up members of the crowd in packing tape. But the music is really really well put together.

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

I think if you took the best part of the first three albums that Phoenix did and put them together, you'd get this album. For what they do, its just about perfect. In fact, they should break up now - before they ruin it with something less good.

No way...I've been a Phoenix fan for about 10 years now and absolutely love their music. Each album has presented a different sort of feel to it, but I have liked them all.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 03:31 AM)
No way...I've been a Phoenix fan for about 10 years now and absolutely love their music. Each album has presented a different sort of feel to it, but I have liked them all.

I've loved everything they've put out, especially since Alphabetical. I hope they don't really break up. It just seems like this album managed to put together the most successful elements of the first three and really make something great happen.

Currently I am wearing out Parrotheads in Cowboy Boots by J. Micheal Laferty. Find Me fits so perfect with the way I am feeling right now.

I spent a lot of this year reconnecting with some old favorites and catching a lot of live music on South Padre.

Just put this in the music thread but I'll repost

1. Manchester Orchestra - "Mean Everything to Nothing"

2. We Were Promised Jetpacks - "These Four Walls"

3. fun. - "Aim and Ignite"

4. Silversun Pickups - "Swoon"

5. Green Day - "21st Century Breakdown"

6. Say Anything - "Say Anything"

7. Dredg - "The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delision" 

I'm working on a more in depth review of each album and top songs on albums that didn't make the top list, list haha

i suppose this thread existed before I copy pasted into the music thread.

I wrote this somewhere else.

I already kind of declared this year a success when MPP and Veckatamest exceeded my expectations. It's been so rare this decade for an established band to follow up with a great album that I'm fine with 2 excellent albums and a bunch of crap. That said, I don't think the rest of the year was filled with crap. Go flips and the underwater peeps lineup:

1-2. MPP & Veckatamest

3. embryonic

4. Beach House (it's funny how some bands get trashed on for sounding the same every album, but bands like beach house, I don't ever want to change. Just keep pumping it out.)

...was beach house this year?

4A. Ptarmigan - Our ancient friends - maybe my favorite, no other album could hold a treasure chest of memories the way this one does.

5. Real Estate

6. Raekwon

7. Phoenix

8. Japandroids

9. Wavves

10. Girls

11. Neko Case

12. Ganglians

13. Marissa Nadler.

14. The Thermals

15. Wale

16. Ducktales

wilco's album was perhaps the most disappointing piece of crap I've ever listened to. They need to either break up or apologize, or hang nels cline.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 21, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
Manchester Orchestra- Mean Everything to Nothing

Them Crooked Vultures- Them Crooked Vultures

Also, I discovered The Gaslight Anthem this year, so I'm counting them, even though '59 Sound came out in 2008.

fantastic i wrote about them in the all time artists thread.

My albums of 09 include

1. Bring Me The Horizon-Suicide Season Cut Up (if you like/can tolerate hardcore music this is a must!)

2. Gallows-Grey Brittan

3. A Day to Remember- Homesick

4. Thrice- Beggars

5. Alexisonfire - Old Crows/Young Cardinals

6. Saosin- In Search of Solid Ground

7. The Devil Wears Prada- Plagues

8. Oh, Sleeper - Son Of The Morning

9. New Tomorrow- We're Counting on the Youth

10. Frank Turner- Poetry of the Dead ( another guy some of you guys might dig)

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 09:34 AM)
I am subtitling this thread music that Tex has never heard of, will never hear of, and probably would never "get" :lolhitting

I do this with every music related thread.

I don't know what station my alarm is set on, but I went through a several week period where Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" was my wake-up song. What a way to start the day.

Songs off of 2009 Albums that didn't make the cut for my Top 7 albums list:

AFI - “Beautiful Thieves”

AFI – “Veronica Sawyer Smokes”

Alice in Chains – “A Looking In View”

Coconut Records – “Wires”

Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band – “Roosevelt Room”

Cymbals Eat Guitars – “And the Hazy Sea”

Cymbals Eat Guitars – “Some Trees (Merritt Moon)”

Every Time I Die – “Roman Holiday”

Every Time I Die – “Organ Grinder”

Grizzly Bear – “Southern Point”

Grizzly Bear – “Two Weeks”

Grizzly Bear – “I Live With You”

Monsters of Folk – “Dear God, (Sincerely M.O.F)”

Muse – “United States of Eurasia/Collateral Damage”

Thrice – “All the World Is Mad”

Thrice – “In Exile”

Thursday – “Beyond the Visible Spectrum”

Thursday – “Circuits of Fever”

Thursday – “Subway Funeral”

Thursday – “You Were the Cancer”

Two Tongues – “Crawl”

Two Tongues – “Don’t you Want to Come Home”

Vampire Weekend – “Horchata” (Technically not on a 2009 album, just a great song from their 2010 album)

Weezer – “The Girl Got Hot”