The Alex Rios Mystery

GREEDY

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 02:48 AM)
The funny thing is that the Twins can't have complementary players like Getz if they won't keep Mauer/Morneau/Cuddyer in the middle of that line-up.

Because Getz is a lot like a Brendan Harris, Tolbert, Punto type that doesn't really have any "plus" tools. That's why they have been trying to upgrade their offensive output there, as well as hoping for bigger numbers from D. Young and continued excellent all-around play by Span.

It will be very interesting to see if they pull the trigger on Mr. Beltre. If they make that move, they have to be the favorites heading into the pre-season, although nobody knows how they'll play in their new stadium, their pitching has a lot more room for improvement coming off 2009. Whereas, the White Sox have to get lights out performances from the Big 4 starters if we go into 2010 with THIS as our offense going forward.

Don't forget Kubel who had a breakout year. I doubt he repeats the .332 BABIP but I still see him as a very solid .365/.370 wOBA guy.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 08:48 PM)
The funny thing is that the Twins can't have complementary players like Getz if they won't keep Mauer/Morneau/Cuddyer in the middle of that line-up.

Because Getz is a lot like a Brendan Harris, Tolbert, Punto type that doesn't really have any "plus" tools. That's why they have been trying to upgrade their offensive output there, as well as hoping for bigger numbers from D. Young and continued excellent all-around play by Span.

It will be very interesting to see if they pull the trigger on Mr. Beltre. If they make that move, they have to be the favorites heading into the pre-season, although nobody knows how they'll play in their new stadium, their pitching has a lot more room for improvement coming off 2009. Whereas, the White Sox have to get lights out performances from the Big 4 starters if we go into 2010 with THIS as our offense going forward.

That is exactly what Getz is. He's a nice complementary player. You can't have too many of him on one team but if you have Morneau and Mauer, Nick Punto/Chris Getz/Brendan Harris is nice to have.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 10:07 PM)
That is exactly what Getz is. He's a nice complementary player. You can't have too many of him on one team but if you have Morneau and Mauer, Nick Punto/Chris Getz/Brendan Harris is nice to have.

If you go back to 2005, Iguchi and Pods were the definition of complementary players on that team, but both rose to the occasion in the post-season, hitting dramatic, momentum-shifting homers. (Not to mention Vizcaino, W. Harris, Blum, El Duque, Hermanson, Cotts, Politte, etc.)

I think many were hoping that Getz could "morph" into another Iguchi, but it just wasn't mean to be.

I think the biggest question with our line-up now is "who are the stars?" because with Dye and Thome gone, that leaves Konerko and Beckham arguably as the best two hitters, with Quentin and Rios either rediscovering All-Star/MVP form or huge question marks. There's also the uncertainty of Beckham repeating his success or having a "sophomore" slump like he suffered through at the end of the season and Ramirez went through in 09, to an extent.

Many of us would be quite happy if we had 2005 Everett/Thomas as our DH instead of Jones/Kotsay. And that's not really a compliment to Crazy Carl, who must be happy he has Avatar to watch now in his retirement.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 12:26 AM)
Many of us would be quite happy if we had 2005 Everett/Thomas as our DH instead of Jones/Kotsay. And that's not really a compliment to Crazy Carl, who must be happy he has Avatar to watch now in his retirement.

I'll bet he would enjoy Land of the Lost :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 12:50 AM)
I'll bet he would enjoy Land of the Lost :)

Maybe not even Will Ferrell's mother could enjoy that film...actually, from what I've heard, even though it has gone down on many lists as the biggest "bust" of 2009 in the world of cinema, some reviewers actually liked it.

The Brendan Fraser movie was enough for me.

This is not a flame, just wondering what guys like Rios have been doing since the end of the season. He doesn't have the kind of body that appears to balloon, so he probably doesn't have to worry about what he eats or drinks in terms of getting fat.

what do players do? I would guess they go to the gym if they are in the cold weather climate and maybe do some running if they live in the warm weather.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)
This is not a flame, just wondering what guys like Rios have been doing since the end of the season. He doesn't have the kind of body that appears to balloon, so he probably doesn't have to worry about what he eats or drinks in terms of getting fat.

what do players do? I would guess they go to the gym if they are in the cold weather climate and maybe do some running if they live in the warm weather.

Another reference to Alex Rios' physique. Would you just admit that you find him somewhat attractive? It's no big deal. I used to have a crush on Ron Gant.