Yankees near deal for Javy Vazquez & Boone Logan

LittleHurt05

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
A very good pitcher when the games don't matter. Unfortunately lots of games usually matter for the Yanks.

He was great in September for the Braves last year and they were in the hunt for the playoffs. He definitely couldn't pitch for the Sox in big games though.

this would be a great move for the yankees....cabrera is useless now that they have granderson, and vazquez is at worst a slightly above average league pitcher

his shortcomings in crunch time have been greatly exaggerated on this site since 2006.....he had a brutal final 3 starts in 2008, but 8 of his 9 starts before that were QS (and you can't tell me games in august and september don't matter), and the 1 that wasn't was 7 IP 4 ER....

When games "mattered" in 2006, he put up a 3.41 ERA in August, and a 3.82 ERA in September (with 4 out of 5 september starts having 10+ K's)

Then last year he brought his team back into legitimacy in the NL east and wild card with a year that was so underappreciated around baseball...he was probably a top 3 or 5 starter in the NL last year ..... a 1.03 WHIP and 238 Ks

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 10:34 AM)
he's probably learned a lot since his last NY encounter. Plus it's a chance to do something about his reputation for lack of cajones.

It ain't just his reputation ;)

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
They traded for Javy, I don't see anything great here.

Look at his numbers. Javy V is a great pitcher. He was great for the Sox too. Just becasue he pisses himself in big moments, doesn't make him less great, it makes him a s***ty big-game pitcher. He's going to be incredible as a 3-4 option for the Yankees.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
Look at his numbers. Javy V is a great pitcher. He was great for the Sox too. Just becasue he pisses himself in big moments, doesn't make him less great, it makes him a s***ty big-game pitcher. He's going to be incredible as a 3-4 option for the Yankees.

I think your definition of "great" needs some tweaking.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
this would be a great move for the yankees....cabrera is useless now that they have granderson, and vazquez is at worst a slightly above average league pitcher

his shortcomings in crunch time have been greatly exaggerated on this site since 2006.....he had a brutal final 3 starts in 2008, but 8 of his 9 starts before that were QS (and you can't tell me games in august and september don't matter), and the 1 that wasn't was 7 IP 4 ER....

When games "mattered" in 2006, he put up a 3.41 ERA in August, and a 3.82 ERA in September (with 4 out of 5 september starts having 10+ K's)

Then last year he brought his team back into legitimacy in the NL east and wild card with a year that was so underappreciated around baseball...he was probably a top 3 or 5 starter in the NL last year ..... a 1.03 WHIP and 238 Ks

His overall numbers in September/October on winning AL teams

2004 w/Yankees 6 GS, 1-2, 34.1 IP, 6.29 ERA, 37 H, 24 ER, 29 K, 16 BB

2006 w/White Sox 6 GS, 0-4, 40 IP, 4.28 ERA, 33 H, 19 ER, 57 K, 10 BB

2008 w/White Sox 6 GS, 2-4, 31.2 IP, 6.25 ERA, 31 H, 22 ER, 30 K, 13 BB

Total: 18 GS, 3-10, 107 IP, 5.47 ERA, 101 H, 116 K, 39 BB, 1.31 WHIP

You were saying?

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
I wonder if Javy will bust out the "all I want to do is be a good father, pitching doesn't matter" quote again in NY?

Wasn't it something like, "at least I have my family and I can go back to Puerto Rico."?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 10:34 AM)
he's probably learned a lot since his last NY encounter. Plus it's a chance to do something about his reputation for lack of cajones.

You never gain cajones, my friend. The only way he might be able to gain them is if he got testicular cancer. Even then, that's more of a bad thing than a good thing.

Edited by chw42