Yankees near deal for Javy Vazquez & Boone Logan

LittleHurt05

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 12:22 PM)
His overall numbers in September/October on winning AL teams

2004 w/Yankees 6 GS, 1-2, 34.1 IP, 6.29 ERA, 37 H, 24 ER, 29 K, 16 BB

2006 w/White Sox 6 GS, 0-4, 40 IP, 4.28 ERA, 33 H, 19 ER, 57 K, 10 BB

2008 w/White Sox 6 GS, 2-4, 31.2 IP, 6.25 ERA, 31 H, 22 ER, 30 K, 13 BB

Total: 18 GS, 3-10, 107 IP, 5.47 ERA, 101 H, 116 K, 39 BB, 1.31 WHIP

You were saying?

lol. I would have to say this wins.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Maybe being the #4 starter behind three other guys making big money will help him out?? Then again, New York is much further away from Puerto Rico than Atlanta, and that seems to be the thing he cares about the most.

lol

He was the 5th starter here in 06 and the 4th starter in 08. I don't know man, it hasn't helped in the past.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Javy do real good in New York this time around. He had a fantastic season last year, and perhaps that gave him a much need confidence boost. He's got something to prove, and we'll have to wait and see how that turns out.

Overall, for what they gave up, this is a good deal for the Yankees. If they could get a .500 record and an ERA below 4.5, that aint terrible out of your no. 4 or 5.

Robbery. The Yankees gave up nothing but spare parts. The Braves already have McLouth, Schafer, Diaz, and Heyward (soon), who are all better than Melky, who is about as average as they come. Javy was one of the top pitchers in the NL last year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 06:22 PM)

You were saying?

It's almost as if one of the leaders in IP starts to tire out towards the end of the season.

Plus, his career FIP of 3.93 vs career ERA indicates that he's been the victim of some bad defense. Especially true when he had players like cement shoes Dye behind him.

Edited by chunk23

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
Robbery. The Yankees gave up nothing but spare parts. The Braves already have McLouth, Schafer, Diaz, and Heyward (soon), who are all better than Melky, who is about as average as they come. Javy was one of the top pitchers in the NL last year.

It's almost as if one of the leaders in IP starts to tire out towards the end of the season.

Plus, his career FIP of 3.93 vs career ERA indicates that he's been the victim of some bad defense. Especially true when he had players like cement shoes Dye behind him.

The Dye part I will agree with, but you also have to keep in mind that he had Crede behind him for two seasons, as well as Uribe at SS. During his tenure here, the left side of the IF was pretty good. The right side wasn't below average either. He did have Mackowiak and Dye in the OF in 06, as well as Pods. Being the neutral pitcher that he is, I think the good balances out the bad for the defense.

Javy's usually bad during two parts of a season. The middle and the end.

If he's bad during the middle of it, does that also mean that he's getting tired? Plus, whenever he's not on a contending team, Javy does just fine in September and October. In fact, his overall ERA in that month is like 3.71 overall while his 3 seasons on AL contenders ended up with him having a 5.47 ERA.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
Look at his numbers. Javy V is a great pitcher. He was great for the Sox too. Just becasue he pisses himself in big moments, doesn't make him less great, it makes him a s***ty big-game pitcher. He's going to be incredible as a 3-4 option for the Yankees.

If you're a s***ty big-game pitcher, the Yankees are not the team for you. He would probably be a good #5 for the Yankees, mostly because he wouldn't start in the playoffs. His history down the stretch with competitive teams (including NYY) in the AL is not good, to say the least...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)

That's a really nice K/BB and a solid WHIP, but he's almost a lock to soil his pants in one bad inning. Javy wins a lot of low-pressure regular-season games and would certainly benefit the Yankees in that regard (eating innings would also save the bullpen and put less pressure on Sabathia). That said, I can't see Girardi using him as anything more than long relief in the playoffs.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
Have they not learned? He's still the same damn pitcher. If you told me we could have Javy back, I wouldn't want him back. Stupid move.

As our 5th starter, hell yes I'd want him back, just not at 10 million.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
I wouldnt be surprised to see Javy do real good in New York this time around. He had a fantastic season last year, and perhaps that gave him a much need confidence boost. He's got something to prove, and we'll have to wait and see how that turns out.

Overall, for what they gave up, this is a good deal for the Yankees. If they could get a .500 record and an ERA below 4.5, that aint terrible out of your no. 4 or 5.

If he is trying to prove something, he will have an awful year. Putting pressure on himself is a horrible idea for Javy.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
I think your definition of "great" needs some tweaking.

Javy has a career k rate of 8.1. Which seems to improve or stay stable as he gets older. His other peripherals are stable except for being slightly homer-prone. Which i'd take if a guy is going to strike me out 200 per year. Not to mention the guy averages 219 innings per year, which is good for about 34 starts. That's a damn good pitcher. I'd rather have Tyler Flowers, he had no place on the Sox, but he's a dominate K pitcher. You cannot overlook that .http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/vazquja01.shtml

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
Javy has a career k rate of 8.1. Which seems to improve or stay stable as he gets older. His other peripherals are stable except for being slightly homer-prone. Which i'd take if a guy is going to strike me out 200 per year. Not to mention the guy averages 219 innings per year, which is good for about 34 starts. That's a damn good pitcher. I'd rather have Tyler Flowers, he had no place on the Sox, but he's a dominate K pitcher. You cannot overlook that .http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/vazquja01.shtml

You called him a "great pitcher" but you also admit that he can't pitch in big situations. He's an innings eating enigma that fills out a rotation and has great peripherals. That doesn't make him great.

One thing worth noting...right now, this leaves the Yankees OF looking dangerously thin. Swisher, Granderson, Gardner. There's an opening there if they wanted to re-up with Damon or to make a major move on Holliday/Bay. I'll bet the latter is quite likely; they're going to swoop in and grab one of those LF's.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
Javy has been worth 5 WAR for 2 of the last 3 years. He was pitching in a hitters park for two of those years. Hell, his entire career has consisted of 6 seasons of either 5 WAR or damn close to it (4.5), and he's only been pitching for 8 years.

Yep, Javy wins a ton of games on Tuesday evenings in Oakland or Wednesday afternoons in Kansas City in May. And those games are worth as much as those on Fox/ESPN on Saturday afternoons in Boston and Sunday evenings in Yankee Stadium in September. But if you're in a tight division race or in the playoffs, Javy's value drops significantly. That's why it's strange that a team like the Yankees, who have about a 90% chance of making the playoffs, would sign somebody with a storied history of poor pitching in pressure situations.

Edited by WCSox

its probably an entirely different debate for a different thread, but i think the key aspect of this entire discussion is actually whether or not you tend to believe the statistician viewpoint that timely, or "clutch" performers, if given enough opportunities, will end up with stats in those situations very near their career averages. It is something I tend to believe, and i tend to believe that javys bad outings have occured at inopportune times, and I don't tend to think that it has something to do with "confidence" or "lack of kahunas" or something of that sort

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
Look at his numbers. Javy V is a great pitcher. He was great for the Sox too. Just becasue he pisses himself in big moments, doesn't make him less great, it makes him a s***ty big-game pitcher. He's going to be incredible as a 3-4 option for the Yankees.

I wouldn't call him "great" but he is avery good pitcher and a great pick up for the yankees

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)

So he gets a ton of k's. I'd also like my pitcher to win.

Meh, he'll be beneficial to them getting the best record by August, then the Yankees can either just sit him down in Sept and bullpen him in October, or pitch him till the end of the season as there is less pressure for them to win if they clinch the division that early. See it makes sense. :D

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)

I think he just pitched a season in the NL, and thats that. He has been traded 5 times in 12 seasons, why is that?

And good luck being a flyball pitcher in probably the biggest launching pad in baseball.

Edited by RockRaines