Per TSN White Sox have #3 rotation in MLB

striker

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. White Sox

Strengths: The top of their rotation features a former NL Cy Young winner who will enter the season completely healthy, as well as a lefthander who threw a perfect game in 2009. Jake Peavy wasn't acquired solely for last season's stretch run, though he did go 3-0 with a 1.35 ERA in three starts in late September/early October. Mark Buehrle has two no-hitters on his resume, in addition to nine consecutive seasons with at least 10 wins and 200 innings pitched. Up-and-comers Gavin Floyd and John Danks are among the best third and fourth starters in the game.

Biggest question: How much does Freddy Garcia have left? Chicago's fifth starter has made only 23 starts over the past three seasons because of shoulder problems.

I'm not currently sold on the Red Sox's rotation actually being stronger than us, but it certainly has the potential to be. Then again, D1 and Gavy step up just a little bit and ours can blow them out of the water even if they have a good season. I'm just going to ignore the Braves since they're in the NL.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
Sorry if this has already been posted.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/article/20...otations-majors

I'd take the Sox to be just as good as the #1 and #2. The Red Sox rotation is very close, but its assuming Dice-K is any good in 2010, and I don't think he will be (he's on the same curve that most Japanese pitchers end up on, being good for a year, give or take, then fading fast). Atlanta is better in some ways, but I think their younger guys are much bigger question marks with less experience. I think those top three are basically interchangeable, as of now.

3 (or 2 since the Javy deal) sounds fair. I still wonder why everyone keeps saying John Lackey gives the Red Sox three aces. I like Lackey and agree that the Red Sox (with a healthy Daisuke) are the undisputed #1 but does anyone actually consider John Lackey a true #1? Call me nuts but I don't. He's the right-handed Mark Buehrle.

We are #2. Gavin-Danks-Garcia is better than Pettitte-Joba-Huges. Joba ruins bullpens because he can only pitch half games and Hughes should stay in the pen. Pettitte is a good #4 IMO. The Red Sox are the only team that is clearly better especially 1-3. Beckett-Lackey-Lester is pretty f***ing good.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 22, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
Javy was also arguably one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball last year. So, yeah. They pass us.

His inability to be effective for a team in crunch time has already been pointed out in the Javy's been traded thread.

"Don't tell me about the numbers you put up, tell me when you put them up." I know I messed that quote up, but you get the jist of it.