2005 Sox Best World Series Team of the Decade?

palehose23

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've got my vote. That team could pitch it and catch it better than any team of the last 10 years. I think the offense underachieved for the most part (down years from Rowand, Uribe in comparison to what they did in 2004, and no big Frank most of the year). But man did they get hot late in Sept and through the whole playoff run. It was beautiful to watch. How often do you see a team play at the absolute peak of their capabilities in the playoffs? Not often.

They have to be the team of the decade. They were in first every single day of the year, plus they tied a record 11-1 in the post season. In other words there was exactly one day all season long where they weren't either in first place, or leading a playoff series. That is the very definition of total dominance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 11:01 PM)
They have to be the team of the decade. They were in first every single day of the year, plus they tied a record 11-1 in the post season. In other words there was exactly one day all season long where they weren't either in first place, or leading a playoff series. That is the very definition of total dominance.

Of course I think they're the team of the decade and I think the wire-to-wire lead is kind of cool. However, I think them owning the 'team of the decade' title hardly hinged on having happened to have won opening day that year (thus making the wire-to-wire claim possible).

Good read. I wish they'd do a year-by-year analysis of each Series winner.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)
There is no mention in this article, but If I recall correctly didn't the sox set some sort of crazy record that year for consecutive games played with a lead.

And of course, I ended up going to the game where this streak ended. It was Jose pitching against the Orioles. It was right around 40 straight games to start the season that the White Sox had the lead at some point in each of those games.

The funny thing about our White Sox Championship team, is that many people outside of Chicago probably do not even recall them winning. I think I read somewhere that they were one of the most "insignificant World Series Champions ever," whatever the hell that means.

Fool.

I dont know about you guys, but I was really nervous going into the first game vs Boston, but once they brought out the whoopin stick, I kind of had this feeling of euphoria throughout the rest of the playoffs and world series. It was like it made sense to me that they were supposed to, and were going to win. I cant explain it, but when things happened(like Buehrle saving game 3, Konerkos Grand Slam, Credes GW double, Pods Walkoff) it felt like it was supposed to happen and I wasnt so much surprised as I was elated.

Such an awesome season

I still regret not actually going to one of the games. I'm from ohio and had to deal with years of the Indians winning the division here, then we make a run, I just got home from Iraq and had the cash, but didn't go. I'll probably regret it for a while.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 07:38 AM)
I dont know about you guys, but I was really nervous going into the first game vs Boston, but once they brought out the whoopin stick, I kind of had this feeling of euphoria throughout the rest of the playoffs and world series. It was like it made sense to me that they were supposed to, and were going to win. I cant explain it, but when things happened(like Buehrle saving game 3, Konerkos Grand Slam, Credes GW double, Pods Walkoff) it felt like it was supposed to happen and I wasnt so much surprised as I was elated.

Such an awesome season

I think that first inning went a long way in relaxing both the players and the fans. I know personally, I really did believe the Sox were the best team in baseball that year but I had no idea how they were going to react in the playoffs. We had a lot of guys with limited or no playoff experience and we were playing the defending champs and nobody was really giving us a shot.

Once that first inning came along you knew they were ready to go and not intimidated at all.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 07:38 AM)

Such an awesome season

Me too, I remember the same feeling. I went to game 1 against Bos with my dad and I will never forget it. Partly because it was Yom Kippur and we totally skipped going to temple for the game, and of course when we were talking about it in our seats everyone around us was like..yeah us too we skipped temple for the game....lol!! Of course we were nervous, we didn't really know how the sox would respond in the playoffs, it was the first playoff appearances for much of the team. But man when they started pounding Matt Clement all over the field and scored like 8 runs in the first few innings you just knew they would be fine. I think even Pods hit a homer that game too. It was like a Wow, we defiantly deserve to be here, we can defiantly win in the playoffs, great feeling.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 06:38 AM)

Such an awesome season

I was actually more nervous before game 2 than I was before game 1. You just couldn't help but expect a major letdown after such a flawless performance in the first game. And when we fell behind 4-0 early, you just assumed we were going back to Boston 1-1. But when Gooch hit that 3-run shot off Wells in the 5th inning, that's when it 'hit' me that this wasn't going to be like past years. That this might just be our year. And El Duque's 6th inning in game 3 all but sealed it for me. It was a foregone conclusion after that.