Failed terrorist attack in Detroit

Balta1701

Hell, why lock your car, if someone wants to steal it or what's in it bad enough, they gonna do it anyway. Save the money for the alarm and locks and spend it on something else. Why lock your front door either. If theives want your big screen, they gonna get it anyway.

The point is to spend enough to stop the casual assholes, and hopefully most of the committed ones, without breaking the bank. Somewhere there is a 'it costs too much' point, but I don't know where that is. New technology is always gonna cost more at first. So should we stop looking for new ways to stop terrorism?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
Hell, why lock your car, if someone wants to steal it or what's in it bad enough, they gonna do it anyway. Save the money for the alarm and locks and spend it on something else. Why lock your front door either. If theives want your big screen, they gonna get it anyway.

The point is to spend enough to stop the casual assholes, and hopefully most of the committed ones, without breaking the bank. Somewhere there is a 'it costs too much' point, but I don't know where that is. New technology is always gonna cost more at first. So should we stop looking for new ways to stop terrorism?

Do you feel the same way about investing in technology to get us off fossil fuels?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 02:04 PM)
Welcome to law enforcement. The fact that they got anything from this loser is a gift.

I'm glad to know that this is all "law enforcement". The guy needs to have more then his pecker blown up after reading him his rights.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
Do you feel the same way about investing in technology to get us off fossil fuels?

Yes. keep investing in the technologies, but dont drop what you have until you DO get someting that works, without costing and arm and 2 legs. Drill, baby! And invest in new!

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
I'm glad to know that this is all "law enforcement". The guy needs to have more then his pecker blown up after reading him his rights.

On a personal level, I agree. But legally, I do not. The guy was arrested here, for a criminal act, and an attempt at a worse criminal act.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
So, your argument is that providing even basic health care for the lowest wage earners in society is too expensive, and furthermore is somehow more expensive than providing health care for others, such that expanding the health care system to include them somehow falls into the diminshing marginal returns category?

Except that we are now forcing EVERYONE to have health care and cover EVERYTHING, all of the time. Which is exactly the argument against security you keep making. You can't cover everything, as it would be too expensive and impractical is the mantra I have seen here.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
On a personal level, I agree. But legally, I do not. The guy was arrested here, for a criminal act, and an attempt at a worse criminal act.

How about he was arrested for a terrorist act and should not be inthe criminal system at all?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
How about he was arrested for a terrorist act and should not be inthe criminal system at all?

How about it? I disagree. I don't see the stuff-him-in-a-crack option as legally or morally tenable. Use the options you have. You can enforce the law, or you can treat him like an enemy combatant. In this case, he's one dude trying to kill many - I see that as falling into enforcement of the law. May not be the popular opinion, but I think its the best way to go in this case.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
By the way, had you intended to reply to my fossil fuels question with blanks?

That was odd, I know I typed something there. I just edited it and put a reponse in that spot so it doesnt look so wierd.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
Except that we are now forcing EVERYONE to have health care and cover EVERYTHING, all of the time. Which is exactly the argument against security you keep making. You can't cover everything, as it would be too expensive and impractical is the mantra I have seen here.

But now you're arguing for rationing, and as long as we're pretending that we're not rationing right now, that's evil! (The big flaw in your argument is of course that we're already paying for a system that would cover everything all the time, we're just the only developed nation not getting it).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
But now you're arguing for rationing, and as long as we're pretending that we're not rationing right now, that's evil! (The big flaw in your argument is of course that we're already paying for a system that would cover everything all the time, we're just the only developed nation not getting it).

And you are arguing for rationing people's lives in the form of security. Guess what, now you are evil.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
Do you know for sure they didn't?

i mean i guess it depends if there was a bomb going off and jack bauer was there ohmegods

Since those policies by most all sources are said to have been effectively ended since 2003, I would say yes I can speak confidently they were not.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)

I pretty much agree with this

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
i mean i guess it depends if there was a bomb going off and jack bauer was there ohmegods

Since those policies by most all sources are said to have been effectively ended since 2003, I would say yes I can speak confidently they were not.

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure. Torture doesn't just describe the planned out stuff. Would you really be surprised if the cops, and the feds, there originally, didn't maybe push boundaries a bit? Maybe knock the guy around or threaten him in some way? Frankly, I'd be surprised if that didn't happen.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)

There are way too many people that think the s*** on 24 is real.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
There are way too many people that think the s*** on 24 is real.

And way too many people who assume that because the rules of torture have changed subtly, that means no one is ever tortured. Or for that matter, that everyone has the same definition of it.

I certainly hope you and bmags aren't thinking that Hollywood silliness is what I had in mind when I asked that question. Look again at the scenario I posed. Not only is it possible, I'd even say its likely.