DIRECTV

IlliniKrush

I'm not super familiar with Directv. Besides the obvious (in a dispute with Versus - any news on this), what are the pros and cons of directv? Mainly in regards to sports, weather issues, DVR, price, and HD service (and anything else you'd like to comment on). Thanks for your help.

I've had DirecTV for years now. The weather issues have decreased in the past few years and I seemingly almost never have problems any more (5 years ago a major storm would kick it offline for a while sometimes, now I almost never have that problem).

In general, I've gotten the impression that it costs about $10 more a month for the same service than you'd get with Dish network or a cable provider. However, you can probably make some of that up by bundling the service; they have a plan available with AT&T that I just signed up for myself.

The sports programming is DirecTV's best aspect IMO, although I haven't used other services. DirecTV has a monopoly over the NFL sunday ticket package and offers pretty much any package you want; the MLB one, the NBA one, NHL, College football, College basketball, the NCAA tourney, Tennis, whatever. There's a pretty good sports channel package that doesnt' include premium games but will give you things like NBA TV and out of market sports-nite broadcasts. Of course, every one of those costs money; the MLB one is about $160 a year for all the games, the NFL one is over $200 a year, but they're good if you want it.

I use the DVR service and again have no complaints. Occasionally I'll have some issues with the hardware where it decides it needs to restart for an unknown reason, but this is rare and only happens a few times per year. DVR works fine, doesn't give you the AT&T style option of viewing it in different rooms though.

Do not have an HD tv so I can't speak to their HD quality. It's available and they brag about it a lot in commercials, but others do as well. They've supposedly invested quite a bit of money in bringing it up to standard.

They do have one of those loyalty/referral programs, so if you were interested in signing up, you can pick a friend from here and earn them $50 (hehehehe).

I moved to Direct TV and saved over $40 for more stuff and better equipment.

The best thing about it is that there is no dual HD/non-HD channel options.

The weather thing can be an issue but the DVR makes up for it.

I am venturing into the internet On-Demand and hope this works well.

Edited by Jenks Heat

I was a cable subscriber for several years before finally being able to take the plunge into DirecTV just this fall. I moved to Las Vegas about 18 months ago, and so it is imperative for me to have access to all White Sox and Bears games on television. I signed up for DirecTV mainly so I wouldn't have to go to the sports book for non-nationally televised Bears games this season.

My experience thus far has been very good.

The guide screen is the best in the business IMO.

There are more HD channels available.

As Balta stated, the NFL package is available.

When I was getting the DirecTV installed, the installers told me DirecTV is by far the best option available. They were not DirecTV installers, but instead, a third party installation company that installs DirecTV, cable, Dish Network, etc. They said the picture quality, the channel options, HD options, etc., all make DirecTV the way to go.

The main con is the On Demand. Cable's On Demand system is far more developed. But my guess is this advantage will not last much longer.

I'll echo everything everyone has said. My single solitary beef is that they want an extra $100 on top of the $250 they charge for Sunday Ticket if you want all the games in HD, Red Zone channel and game mix channel. Other than that, I love it.

I'd actually say give me the DISH DVR any day of the week over what DirectTV has. Very cool to use. I like being able to jump forward 30 seconds and back 10 seconds to skip through all of the commercials instead of fast forwarding and trying to stop it at the right point. Also, getting to the recordings and moving around just seems so much more intuitive than what I have seen with DirectTV.

And as for quality of picture (from what I have heard), well that is all dependent on the TV that you have. Whether it is from DirectTV or DISH will not matter as the same data comes through from the different networks. So, since it is the same data, the presentation of that data (your TV) is the only thing that affects how you see it. So, right now I don't buy any type of picture quality argument unless you are just not getting a full signal.

My main thing was getting as many White Sox games without paying a ton. Out in Iowa I can easily get all games except for WCIU in HD. I don't like that DISH does not have the MLB Network or options for the full season, but I'm not sure I would shell out the money even if they did have them.

I've been a customer for 11 years and have a love/hate relationship with them. I've had a handful of billing and technical issue over the years, and dealing with customer service has always been an absolute hassle. How they win all those "JD Power" awards I'll never know. Maybe their people are just mildly less stupid than your average phone flunky for cable, but most of them are more annoying than helpful.

The "rainfade" used to drive me crazy, but as others have said, it has gotten a lot better. In any event, unless they resolve the Versus issue, I am gone for At&T Uverse as soon as my contract is up. To pay $100 a month for TV and not get to see the Hawks in the playoffs makes my blood boil just thinking about it.

There is a really informative satellite forum called dbstalk.com (I think). I suggest you check it out.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
I'd actually say give me the DISH DVR any day of the week over what DirectTV has. Very cool to use. I like being able to jump forward 30 seconds and back 10 seconds to skip through all of the commercials instead of fast forwarding and trying to stop it at the right point.

My DirectTV has a 30 sec jump ahead and 7 second jump back.

The channel ordering in DirectTv actaully makes sense and it is rather easy to find something. I love the fact that if it is HD you get the channel in HD without having the non-HD option thus the channels are all the same on every box.

The Dish DVR is better but he on-line setting of the DVR is a cool feature. I like the four tv's on one DVR option with Dish.

The equipment for DirectTv is also much cheaper than cable not sure about Dish.

I am hoping to get into the on-line On Demand feature one of these days. If this works there will be no comparison.

The Customer Service with DirectTv has been much better than cable.

Overall though, go with whichever vendor gives you the best package price.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
I'll echo everything everyone has said. My single solitary beef is that they want an extra $100 on top of the $250 they charge for Sunday Ticket if you want all the games in HD, Red Zone channel and game mix channel. Other than that, I love it.

Great picture quality, great HD options, great for sports. Downside is the up-front costs for equipment (if you have multiple HD TV's, etc). And the fact that you have a contract is pretty ridiculous.

I've had cable and directtv. I just moved and my new place DirectTV didn't work so I was allowed to leave my contract with no fees, but there are a lot of really good things about cable. The on-demand is great and the guide works much much faster than the HD Direct TV guides.

The only real loss for me is the fact that MLB Xtra Innings isn't in high-def on cable but it is on Direct TV. I'll f***ing miss getting every White Sox game in HD (as an out of market fan), but cable is real nice and it is even better knowing I'm not stuck to a contract.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 10:18 AM)

The channel ordering in DirectTv actaully makes sense and it is rather easy to find something. I love the fact that if it is HD you get the channel in HD without having the non-HD option thus the channels are all the same on every box.

The Dish DVR is better but he on-line setting of the DVR is a cool feature. I like the four tv's on one DVR option with Dish.

I am hoping to get into the on-line On Demand feature one of these days. If this works there will be no comparison.

The Customer Service with DirectTv has been much better than cable.

Equipment is much more expensive than cable. Cable you get everything free, just pay the monthly box fee. DirectTV you pay the monthly box fee plus a price just to lease the equipment (if you have HD, HD DVR, etc).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Equipment is much more expensive than cable. Cable you get everything free, just pay the monthly box fee. DirectTV you pay the monthly box fee plus a price just to lease the equipment (if you have HD, HD DVR, etc).

I pay $5/month for every piece of equipment. It was all free when I signed up wiht Direct TV. Cable cost me $15/month for HD/DVR and $10 for non-HD.

I hear FOX is looking to buy Versus and make another run at ESPN.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)

I hadn't seen that yet with the DirectTV DVRs that I have used. Good to know that they have it.

The Dish DVR is better but he on-line setting of the DVR is a cool feature.

You can do the online setting with DISH now too. I think that you are saying that DirectTV has that as well.

Yeah, but you can usually get some great deals whichever one you pick if you are new.

Can't disagree with that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
CON: No Hawks games on VS.

Yeah I mentioned that in my first post, biggest con by far. Not only the Hawks, but all other games in the playoffs.

I'm sure everyone that has it hopes it's hammered out in time for the playoffs - I have no idea the odds that happens. (only a few games left on versus this season). Otherwise it's time for alternate plans to see those games.

I haven't seen an update in a while but the radio/paper is all over it the day after each Hawks game, so it's on the front burner in this city.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
Yeah I mentioned that in my first post, biggest con by far. Not only the Hawks, but all other games in the playoffs.

I'm sure everyone that has it hopes it's hammered out in time for the playoffs - I have no idea the odds that happens. (only a few games left on versus this season). Otherwise it's time for alternate plans to see those games.

I haven't seen an update in a while but the radio/paper is all over it the day after each Hawks game, so it's on the front burner in this city.

Last year I believe CSN Chicago simulcast the Blackhawks games on VS in the playoffs, so I don't think that would be a worry for you.

Edited by Steve9347

Another thing that's good about DirecTV is that the monthly price is stable and doesn't increase incrementally like cable. I'm only paying a few bucks more than I was two and a half years ago. Also, they add channels all the time and don't charge extra.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
Another thing that's good about DirecTV is that the monthly price is stable and doesn't increase incrementally like cable. I'm only paying a few bucks more than I was two and a half years ago. Also, they add channels all the time and don't charge extra.

This doesn't really matter, though. There's a new round of price wars coming as the networks start demanding more money to be carried and they start looking for sources of revenue outside of advertising (digital distribution, etc.) to stay relevant. I doubt DirecTV is immune to this, they're going to pass their costs along to the consumer like anyone else would.

Also, something I never really liked but it's just the nature of the beast... ESPN is, by far, the most expensive channel, most of the high-rated ones are like 50 cents to carry, ESPN is like $4.50. I almost never watch ESPN though because they're shallow and it sucks, but I have to pay for it anyway. I remember when the NFL got into it with Comcast a few years ago, it seemed like nobody wanted to be on Comcast's side because everyone hates Comcast, but the NFL basically wanted to become another expensive network to carry, but have Comcast take the hit for it (i.e., just have everyone raise their rates). Screw all that.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)

Define incrementally increase? It's gone up a couple dollars every year for me.