Jason Bay to Mets

Steve9347

I know the Mets don't have the greatest luck with FA signings, but I really like this move. Bay is a very productive player. That NL East is going to be tough again, the Phils, Mets, Braves and Marlins all have a chance at being very good, and the Nats made a few moves in the pen to make them at least pesty.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
I know the Mets don't have the greatest luck with FA signings, but I really like this move. Bay is a very productive player. That NL East is going to be tough again, the Phils, Mets, Braves and Marlins all have a chance at being very good, and the Nats made a few moves in the pen to make them at least pesty.

The sad thing with the Mets is...just about every one of their moves the last few years, you could look at it and say "This is it, this is the move that'll put them over the top". Then all the other pieces fall apart around it.

They have a nice core on offense with Wright, Beltran, Reyes, and now Bay. Thing is, they have no pitching.

They have a bunch of middle of the rotation starters and nothing at the back end.

Their rotation is like the Twins', but with a lot less depth.

Edited by chw42

And then some dude named Johan.

All they have to be hoping for is for one of those middle of the rotation starters to step up and have a big year while all the others remain around 4.50 or so. They've been interested in starting pitching all offseason though, so they might still add one.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
And then some dude named Johan.

All they have to be hoping for is for one of those middle of the rotation starters to step up and have a big year while all the others remain around 4.50 or so. They've been interested in starting pitching all offseason though, so they might still add one.

Oh yeah, you know, I totally forgot about him. My bad. :unsure:

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 07:50 PM)
Well you did say their rotation was a lot like the Twins'. The Twins have nobody remotely close to Santana. Maybe you should've said after Johan, their rotation is a lot like the Twins'?

Nah, he actually disappeared from my mind at the time. I guess it's because he got injured last year and I haven't seen him pitch in a while.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)

The move blocks Fernando Martinez, who has been heralded as one of the better prospects for 3 years now. While his stock has fallen a bit, considering they have refused to trade him in recent years, it seems a bit odd to block him now with a high-priced, terrible defensive LF in a very big Citi Field.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
The move blocks Fernando Martinez, who has been heralded as one of the better prospects for 3 years now. While his stock has fallen a bit, considering they have refused to trade him in recent years, it seems a bit odd to block him now with a high-priced, terrible defensive LF in a very big Citi Field.

It's pretty much a desperation signing by Omar Minaya. He knows that if they have another subpar season, he's a goner.

So with all of the problems David Wright had in 2009, Minaya goes and gets him some protection.

Jason Bay's a pretty good player and all, but is he worth $16M a season for the next 4-5 years, I doubt it.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 04:26 AM)
Jason Bay's a pretty good player and all, but is he worth $16M a season for the next 4-5 years, I doubt it.

He's a 30 year old who's put up an .894 OPS for his career, 131 OPS+ for his career, and has basically done nothing but be a very good hitter every year since he came up. And it's also New York money, so it's not like they're going to be strapped for cash because of this deal alone. It's possible he might wear down a bit when he's 33-34, and his defense probably will leave something to be desired in that large ballpark, but for a RH bat, he's a solid addition, and he'll probably play right to that contract.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
He also hit 10 HR and drove in 72.

In a "poor" year, he'd have led the White Sox in average, OBP, and (without adjusting for the ballpark) been third in OPS, second in total bases, and second in steals. The guy is brutal.

Edit: I just checked, and he actually would have led the White Sox in OPS+ too.

Edited by BaseballNick

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
Wright put up a line of .307/.390/.447/.837 last season, and he stole 27 bases. I wish White Sox players had those kinds of problems.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
In a "poor" year, he'd have led the White Sox in average, OBP, and (without adjusting for the ballpark) been third in OPS, second in total bases, and second in steals. The guy is brutal.

Edit: I just checked, and he actually would have led the White Sox in OPS+ too.

Sounds like you're arguing with yourself. Nobody implied David Wright was Corky Miller last year. And who cares how many categories he would've led a s***ty Sox offense in. David Wright consistently sported OPS's of well over .900 (topping out at .963 in 2007). An .837 OPS is a significant drop-off.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
Sounds like you're arguing with yourself. Nobody implied David Wright was Corky Miller last year. And who cares how many categories he would've led a s***ty Sox offense in. David Wright consistently sported OPS's of well over .900 (topping out at .963 in 2007). An .837 OPS is a significant drop-off.

No, I'm not arguing with anyone. I think there's a false perception out there that David Wright was "bad" last year. I heard some talk on the radio this morning about his poor season, and then a poster on here said something about his problems last year, so I just decided to look up his numbers and I saw that it really wasn't a bad season at all. For his standards it wasn't great, but I wouldn't say it was bad by any means. I know the Sox weren't world beaters last season, but that's the team we all watch, so I compared Wright's numbers to theirs.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 30, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
No, I'm not arguing with anyone. I think there's a false perception out there that David Wright was "bad" last year.

By David Wright standards, he was quite brutal last year and one of many reasons the Mets finished 17 games behind the Marlins, with a payroll $110 million higher.