Favorite White Sox Memory With Your Family

hi8is

The Gordon Beckham video posted really hit home for me.

It reminded me a lot of my father and I... of our history together playing baseball.

Of course - anything related to baseball for us - was related to the White Sox.

We both bleed black and white.

I thought it would be a cool thread to allow everyone to have a place to post their favorite White Sox and family related memory in one place.

I'll begin :notworthy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember as a kid my dad and I would always go see the White Sox play when they came into town.

We lived in Southern California so the only time that we where able to see the Sox was when they came to see the Angels.

My father would always take work off for the entire series so that we could catch all the games.

He'd get us a hotel room within walking distance to the park.

I remember in 1992 when we went to the park early for the first time to meet the players when they arrived.

Frank Thomas showed up and started signing for everyone.

My pops and I stood in line and waited.

Once I got up to the front of the line - Frank and I took a picture together.

I was a dwarf compared to him.

That day started a tradition for my dad, myself, and Frank Thomas.

Every game the Angels played against our Sox for the next 10+ years - we'd always go early and stay late waiting to meet the Big Hurt.

Pretty cool stuff =)

It would be a couple different ones... with my Dad, there was the game back in the early to mid 80's where Harold Baines hit a three run, walkoff homer against Dan Quiseberry, when he was the Mo Rivera of closers. The whole park when crazy. The Harold chant went on in the park, the councourses, the walkways, and even onto the streets. It was just awesome. For my kids it would be their first game, and sharing all of the experiences with them.

I grew up in LaGrange. When my grandfather, from whom I was blessed with my White Sox fanaticism, retired and moved near us, his retirement gift was a huge number of Sox tickets for the next season (maybe two). Now these weren't prime seats...just a lot of GA tix...and we'd sit down the left field line, between third base and the wall, about 3/4 of the way up in old Comiskey. Which meant that you'd often have to watch the pitcher deliver, then quickly move your head to the right, get your field of vision through the post or posts (some were in pairs) in time to see if the batter swung or the result of the pitch. Now while I appreciate good seats at a ballgame or event as much as the next guy, the real lesson I learned was the importance of being there. Once during this time, we took a kid visiting the neighborhood from Brazil. And we sat through a double-header, with a rain delay, during which a streaker ran across the field. This was all in the early-mid 1970s...Old Comiskey, red and white unis, Dick Allen, Carlos May, Bill Melton, Jorge Orta (my personal favorite)...thanks for taking me back on this new year's eve morning!Jorge_Orta__Thumbnail_.jpg

Can I have two, one good, one bad (but still sorta good)?

The Good:

It is 1976, I'm 5 years old and my Uncle and I are at a game early watching BP. Things are winding down and the players are heading back to the locker room, when my uncle totally startles me by yelling out across the field, "Hey Bucky! This kid loves you!". It was true, I was 5 and my family loved baseball and the White Sox more than anything and I wanted to be a SS, so Bucky Dent was my hero.

He came trotting on over, he introduced himself, I could barely say two words I was in such awe. (I think both of Bucky and that my uncle had been able to summon the immortal Bucky Dent so easily) He signed my hat and gave me a ball. I wore that hat to sleep that night, and kept on wearing it for years even well after my head had started to outgrow it. The hat is gone now, but the ball still remains. Like a lot of people, I think meeting a ballplayer when you are that age just cements your love for the game. It's not the best thing I've ever seen at the park (Thank You, Mr. Buehrle for making a life-long dream come true.), but it is one of my earliest memories of anything and it changed the game from something I just liked a lot to a real passion.

The Bad:

It is only a year or two later, and my family has driven down to Spring Training in Florida. We are staying at a motel that is really close to the field and it turns out that the team we are playing this particular day, the Kansas City Royals were staying at the same motel. (I mean, seriously this was not a fancy place, those players staying in their suites today better be very freakin' grateful.) So we go to the game and the Sox just get trounced, I mean we were beaten bad, something like 19-1 or 17-2, just a horrible a game.

After the game, my brother and I are sitting outside on the walkway that goes around the place with our White Sox t-shirts on, and who should walk by but Hal McRae and some other Royal player. As they walk past us, Hal snickers under his breath, "White Sox..." and starts laughing a little. (My brother who is 7 years older has confirmed the details of this in later years) Now, I'm about 7 years old, and this giant man is laughing at me because I have my White Sox gear on, and I know he was just beating the tar out of us at the game I just watched. It stung to say the least.

But I do have to kind of thank him, because he allowed my passion for the White Sox to blossom into a full-fledged hatred of all other teams. (The Cubs, of course, I had already been trained to hate from an early age.) And it lead to a tradition that I enjoyed for many years.

Our seats at the old and new park were always right by the visitors on-deck circle or now a few rows up from the home-plate side of the end of the visitors dugout (sec 127), and every time we played the Royals when Hal was managing, I got many chances to yell at him as he left the dugout to pull pitchers as we generally stomped KC during that time period.

"Who's laughing now, Hal?!?", I would yell out. Sometimes he would even look up, scanning the crowd trying to see who was saying it, and probably really puzzling over just what the hell it meant. All it did for me was send me into fits of laughter as I enjoyed our victories against them that much more. The whole thing gave me such joy for that time, that the bad memory ended up being one of my own little personal favorite memories. So I have to thank Hal too for being such a jerk.

Ah memories....

In 1991 when Robin Ventura hit a game winning grand slam off of Goose Gossage to beat Texas. It's the game that Frank Thomas picked Ventura up over his shoulders at home plate and the rest of the guys jumped in and pounded him on the back and helmet. It was real emotion - not the choreographed helmet throw/jump up and down together thing that every team does now.

We had a cousin visiting from England, and I don't think he was overly impressed with the game or the crowd compared to the English soccer crowds he was used to seeing. We were sitting in right field, not far from where the ball landed, and the place exploaded when it landed. That one moment definitely changed his opinion of baseball. He didn't stop talking about it the rest of his visit.

Growing up, my dad would take the whole family out to Old Comiskey, and "ALWAYS" sit out in left field. Premium seats never happened, but as a family, we always had a great time. Many years later, I met a wonderful old guy that I became real friendly with.

Turns out that he had 2 golden box seats season tickets with parking directly right up from 1st base. He sold me any 4 dates I wanted every year. For 4 years I was able to take my dad to finally enjoy premium seats before He passed away at the age of 79 , as well as also a disabled friend of mine before He also passed away at the age of 40. These memories and the wonderful times we had together are extremely cherished and are deeply embedded within to STAY!!!! (Side note: Strange as it may sound, shortly after my dad and friend passed away, the old guy passed away and the tickets were no longer available. How's that for timing?? Thank You Lord!)

When I was younger I went to my first game with my dad against the Indians. We got there early to get autographs of the team. Unfortunately, only a few of the Sox came out to sign autographs, and my dad says Frank was "not the nicest person". The grounds keeper did toss me a batting practice ball, though, so that was really neat for my first game. And then ALL of the Indians players came over and signed autographs; I especially remember Jim Thome being super nice to everyone and making sure everyone got an autograph, even taking time to get me another ball from the dugout. While it's not the best memory of my Sox, I've always had respect for the big guy ever since.

In 2005, the famous Pierzynski walk-off against the Dodgers. My dad and I watched most of the game together, but Elmer Dessens was putting on a clinic, so we decided to go out to the field in our neighborhood and play some ball. We got back just in time to see the ninth. Good times.

Dad caught a line drive off the bat of the Little Hurt that was headed straight for my head. I lost sight of it and couldn't catch it because it nailed some guy's beer about 10 rows in front of me & sent the beer flying. Perfect example of how you provide camouflage for an airborne projectile.

I can't recall any particular warm fuzzies of my own, so I'll share one I have from 2008 with my own son, who was 4 years old at the time. It was the super-hot, August day game against KC when the Sox hit back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs. But that wasn't even the best part.

We had club seats, and at one point sought refuge in the air-conditioned concourse. While we were sitting on a couch watching the game on the plasmas, a Sox employee came up to my son and asked to "borrow" his mitt. The look on my son's face said "not on your life," but he politely relented. The guy returned it a few minutes later, and when my son went to put it on, he found an official ball inside. I'll never forget the look on my son's face then.

Attending the very last game at old Comiskey Park and the FIRST game at the NEW Comiskey Park.

-I miss that ol' park.

The other memorable moment, was being at the ALCS v. Angels with my Dad and my brothers. The dropped-third strike game. When Crede knocked in Pablo, I've never heard that place as loud as I did then.

Getting a Cubs fan out for harassing my mom on the concourse.

Seeing Thome's (possible, but not likely) last HR with my brother on his birthday, where we got free seats on the 300 level and saw his friend who works for the Sox.

Watching Game 1 at my Bar Mitzvah and the DJ promptly playing Don't Stop Believin'

My mom and I going crazy for Buehrle's perfect game. Heck, even my non-baseball fan friend jumped up in excitement.

Wise hitting a GS against the Tigers to tie it up, and piss off a Tigers fan who was giving my section crap, and my dad was so excited for seeing to slams in a game (the other was Thames).

My dad seeing his favorite uniforms ('59 Sox) against his favorite NL team (Dodgers) in the 13 inning bonanza while he got to watch 'The Sox win this time. You know why? Now they have the hard throwing, young Jewish lefty. Not the Dodgers."

Seeing a game in Charlotte, where my dad apparently got in Aarsdma's head by watching him warm up. Because Aardsma promptly blew the game.

With my family, my favorite White Sox moment has to be the very first game my dad took me to in I believe August of 1962. It was so magical seeing the ballpark as we drove up to it. In 1962 there was no Dan Ryan yet. It was a night game, so I just remember being fascinated with the lights and how huge Comiskey Park was. And of course getting inside and seeing the field....christ!

Early Wynn was pitching against the Twins and lost 2-0. I think he was going for career win 299 that night. But, it was great. I saw my boyhood heroes (especially Louie Aparicio) for the first time.

Other favorite moments were when after I got out of high school in 1968, I went to a LOT of games alone. But I had a blast. Those were days when I might be at a game attended by 1,000 (TOTAL).

Another favorite moment was taking my son to his first game and every other game after that which I took him to. The whole father-son/White Sox thing is almost indescribably cool. :gosox3:

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 03:39 AM)
With my family, my favorite White Sox moment has to be the very first game my dad took me to in I believe August of 1962. It was so magical seeing the ballpark as we drove up to it. In 1962 there was no Dan Ryan yet. It was a night game, so I just remember being fascinated with the lights and how huge Comiskey Park was. And of course getting inside and seeing the field....christ!

Early Wynn was pitching against the Twins and lost 2-0. I think he was going for career win 299 that night. But, it was great. I saw my boyhood heroes (especially Louie Aparicio) for the first time.

Other favorite moments were when after I got out of high school in 1968, I went to a LOT of games alone. But I had a blast. Those were days when I might be at a game attended by 1,000 (TOTAL).

Another favorite moment was taking my son to his first game and every other game after that which I took him to. The whole father-son/White Sox thing is almost indescribably cool. :gosox3:

Here's the box score to that 1962 game with the Twins.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1962/B08280CHA1962.htm

Oh man, so many. My father, and the rest of my family, are Cubs fans. But once a year through childhood, my Dad would begrudgingly take me to one Sox game at Comiskey (he grew up in Englewood until around age 7, and his father was a Sox fan). I saw all sorts of amazing games in there - the infamous seat cushion game, back-to-back-to-back HR (I think it was Law-Guillen-Baines, maybe), and Gary Redus winning the game on a home run in the bottom of the 9th, when the Sox were down 4 runs or more going into the 9th. Dad was a good sport though, he didn't root against the Sox, and in some of those great moments, I caught him smiling.

Now, its my own daughter, who I took to her first game this past August. She was 9 months old, and I couldn't believe how much fun she had - didn't cry or get upset once. Just loved it. Can't wait for next year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
Oh man, so many. My father, and the rest of my family, are Cubs fans. But once a year through childhood, my Dad would begrudgingly take me to one Sox game at Comiskey (he grew up in Englewood until around age 7, and his father was a Sox fan). I saw all sorts of amazing games in there - the infamous seat cushion game, back-to-back-to-back HR (I think it was Law-Guillen-Baines, maybe), and Gary Redus winning the game on a home run in the bottom of the 9th, when the Sox were down 4 runs or more going into the 9th. Dad was a good sport though, he didn't root against the Sox, and in some of those great moments, I caught him smiling.

Now, its my own daughter, who I took to her first game this past August. She was 9 months old, and I couldn't believe how much fun she had - didn't cry or get upset once. Just loved it. Can't wait for next year.

Was it in the ninth inning of a no-hitter that was being thrown against the Sox?

i went to the game the night before the sox clinched in 83. the sox won and needed the a's to lose to clinch, but the a's ended up winning. after the sox won i went over the left field fence and went on the field. they cordoned off the infield but there were a lot of people on the field hanging out.

before i left the field i pulled up a big handful of grass and some of the warning track gravel. i still have it in a little johnson's baby shampoo bottle. even though the sox didn't clinch that night it was still a great memory.