Torres and Hudson win MiLBYs

striker

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
No way. Floyd is signed cheaply and has proven himself in USCF. If anyone gets traded, it should be Hudson.

I don't think Hudson could net a Fielder or Gonzalez in return. I love Gavin, but given the chance to add a bat like that to team that still would have Peavy-MB-Danks at the top of the rotation and Hudson/Freddy/Torres at the bottom would be too sweet to pass up.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)
I don't think Hudson could net a Fielder or Gonzalez in return. I love Gavin, but given the chance to add a bat like that to team that still would have Peavy-MB-Danks at the top of the rotation and Hudson/Freddy/Torres at the bottom would be too sweet to pass up.

If we could land one of those types of bats for just Gavin, then yeah, go for it; however, I really don't think we could get a Fielder/Gonzalez without parting with both Gavin and Hudson.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
If we could land one of those types of bats for just Gavin, then yeah, go for it; however, I really don't think we could get a Fielder/Gonzalez without parting with both Gavin and Hudson.

I think you're right. Welcome to Soxtalk and Happy New Year!

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
If Hudson and/or Torres do well in spring, would you deal Floyd to open a spot for them, if it mean bringing back a stud hitter like Gonzalez or Fielder?

No. You never have enough pitching. Plus we usually end up trading our prospcts away for some guy that KW has "had his eye on for years." I would like to see that stop and us promote from within

No way I'd trade Floyd if I can trade Hudson, because for some reason the prospect of prospects (yes, I know, not intended) getting even better raises their value, and I'd want to cash in on Hudson's value when it's at its highest for the foreseeable future.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
No. You never have enough pitching. Plus we usually end up trading our prospcts away for some guy that KW has "had his eye on for years." I would like to see that stop and us promote from within

I agree with the first part of your post. As for the 2nd part, name one prospect that has come back to haunt us? Just one...

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
I agree with the first part of your post. As for the 2nd part, name one prospect that has come back to haunt us? Just one...

According to my Rogermetrics, Chris Young will win MVP for the next 3 years and come back to haunt us.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)

Until our minor leaguers start consistantly panning out... No thanks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
Until our minor leaguers start consistantly panning out... No thanks.

But how are we ever gonna get to that point if we keep trading them the minute their value peaks? I see what you're saying. Guys like Joe Borchard, Brian Anderson and Josh Fields have scarred some for life. But there's going to come a time in which we're going to have to actually draft AND develop from within. If we could spend like some of the other big market teams, this wouldn't be a real issue. As I've said many times, props to KW for being able to consistently get rid of crap before anybody realizes they're crap. But I'm getting sick of multiple reclamation projects every year. I'm getting sick of 'change of scenery' guys every year. I'm disgusted that we've got Juan Pierre manning LF for the next two years. If we could develop our own talent, we wouldn't have to rely so heavily on this method that we've adopted over the last decade. Which obviously has proven that it's no recipe for year-in and year-out success. Fortunately, we're not in the AL east. Or we'd really be in trouble.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)
But how are we ever gonna get to that point if we keep trading them the minute their value peaks? I see what you're saying. Guys like Joe Borchard, Brian Anderson and Josh Fields have scarred some for life. But there's going to come a time in which we're going to have to actually draft AND develop from within. If we could spend like some of the other big market teams, this wouldn't be a real issue. As I've said many times, props to KW for being able to consistently get rid of crap before anybody realizes they're crap. But I'm getting sick of multiple reclamation projects every year. I'm getting sick of 'change of scenery' guys every year. I'm disgusted that we've got Juan Pierre manning LF for the next two years. If we could develop our own talent, we wouldn't have to rely so heavily on this method that we've adopted over the last decade. Which obviously has proven that it's no recipe for year-in and year-out success. Fortunately, we're not in the AL east. Or we'd really be in trouble.

How would the organization look if we kept holding on to all of these failures instead?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
How would the organization look if we kept holding on to all of these failures instead?

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not implying one bit that we shoud've hung on to any of the mostly bums that we've traded over the years. Point is that we need to stop drafting bums in the first place. Now I've, like many, erased the drafts of 2000-2006 from my memory. I realize how inexact drafting is. But that's just dropping the ball over and over and over again. To the White Sox's credit, they obviously realized this was a big problem and have made sweeping changes throughout the minor league organization, from new managers/scouts to drafting philosophy. And I commend them for that. I'm just saying that we're never going to be a perennial contender if we can't produce at least a league average (above average would be gravy) player every now and then. Yes, we got Beckham. But it took a 90 loss season. And it would've been very hard to botch a top 10 pick from the '08 draft. As it's looking like a stellar class. But the cost-control benefits that comes with being able to filter in your own talent is invaluable.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
If Hudson and/or Torres do well in spring, would you deal Floyd to open a spot for them, if it mean bringing back a stud hitter like Gonzalez or Fielder?

Torres is not an MLB caliber starting pitcher. He could be a reliever, but that's about it. He's virtually a non-prospect. Hudson is a stud, but if Gonzalez or Fielder were made available, it would be now up until Spring Training started, or come June or July, and I doubt the Sox would want to deal Floyd midseason for a hitter.

I think the Sox are virtually done making moves and will add one more hitter by the time Spring Training rolls around, along with some MLC types.

Torres is not an MLB caliber starting pitcher. He could be a reliever, but that's about it. He's virtually a non-prospect. Hudson is a stud, but if Gonzalez or Fielder were made available, it would be now up until Spring Training started, or come June or July, and I doubt the Sox would want to deal Floyd midseason for a hitter.

I think the Sox are virtually done making moves and will add one more hitter by the time Spring Training rolls around, along with some MLC types.

This is the part that is really hard to decide upon. Do we wait and let Huddie develop into a solid front line starter or do we go for broke since it is obvious that we are maybe one key and critical piece away from the ALCS/WS (KW is in "Win Now" mode)? I have backed off the Agon stuff now as I thought it was water under the bridge. But the fact the Huddie won the MILBy award gives me hope that it will increase his value to the point where he can become the key center piece in a run for Agon at the trading deadline. I know wrong thread but this is relevant to the Agon stuff and to Huddie. Or on the flip side you have him locked up cheap at least until the end of 2013 (3 arb years plus 1 pre-arb which should not be terribly expensive).

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
This is the part that is really hard to decide upon. Do we wait and let Huddie develop into a solid front line starter or do we go for broke since it is obvious that we are maybe one key and critical piece away from the ALCS/WS (KW is in "Win Now" mode)? I have backed off the Agon stuff now as I thought it was water under the bridge. But the fact the Huddie won the MILBy award gives me hope that it will increase his value to the point where he can become the key center piece in a run for Agon at the trading deadline. I know wrong thread but this is relevant to the Agon stuff and to Huddie. Or on the flip side you have him locked up cheap at least until the end of 2013 (3 arb years plus 1 pre-arb which should not be terribly expensive).

Winning a MILB award is not going to in anyway enhance Hudson's value. He's pretty much viewed as a mid-rotation starter with the maximum upside of a #2. Nowhere is he considered a blue-chip or an elite prospect. That doesn't mean he can't go on and become a stud. Just saying that's his status at the moment.

Edited by Jordan4life

Winning a MILB award is not going to in anyway enhance Hudson's value. He's pretty much viewed as a mid-rotation starter with the maximum upside of a #2. Nowhere is he considered a blue-chip or an elite prospect. That doesn't mean he can't go on and become a stud. Just saying that's his status at the moment.

J4L, I really do hear ya and that is why I backed off of this Agon talk. If he does pan out this year then it will certainly or most certainly mean going into 2011 he can lock down the 5 spot or even 4th (Hey crazier things have happened and we have not signed JDANKS1 yet to a long term extension). Time will tell.

But as noted in previous post if he does very well in AAA (Maybe some time in MLB) that will for sure raise his value.

Edited by chisoxfan09

J4L, just found this interesting piece on BA. Hudson is considered the 14th ranked prospect in their weekly piece "Prospect Hot Sheet" dated Sep 10 2009. Take it for what it is. I think it gives a good argument for Hudson being in the top 50 going into next season.

Link : http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...009/268861.html