Torres and Hudson win MiLBYs

striker

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
J4L, just found this interesting piece on BA. Hudson is considered the 14th ranked prospect in their weekly piece "Prospect Hot Sheet" dated Sep 10 2009. Take it for what it is. I think it gives a good argument for Hudson being in the top 50 going into next season.

Link : http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...009/268861.html

He might very well be in their top 50. I'm just saying the consensus is that he's a good, not great, prospect.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
If Hudson and/or Torres do well in spring, would you deal Floyd to open a spot for them, if it mean bringing back a stud hitter like Gonzalez or Fielder?

If Hudson continues to progress at the alarming rate he did last year, it would definitely mean the end of Gavin's stay in Chicago. Floyd's been a great pitcher for us, but Hudson's ceiling is higher than his. The Detroit game should've proved that. And IMO Gavin's probably already peaked. I don't think alone he could net us a big bat (i.e. Gonzo or Fielder) but he could haul in a bounty of good prospects. And if the Sox were confident enough in the offense and Daniel Hudson taking over the 3rd/4th spot, reinforcing the farm system would be a sound baseball move.

The Nationals could be a possible partner if the Sox wanted to trade Floyd.

- Nats are looking for SP

- Gavin's from Maryland

- The Nats have quite a bit of intriguing prospects (Derek Norris, Chris Marrero)

With Norris being blocked by Jesus Flores and the 2010 projected No. 1 overall pick being Bryce Harper C. Norris could be part of a deal along with a few other pieces.

Maybe Gavin Floyd for Derek Norris, Sean Burnett, and couple hi-A pitchers isn't out of the question. That way Norris is your future catcher and Flowers can slide to 1B/DH and concentrate his efforts on power. Burnett could also fair well as the LOOGY.

This is all predicated on Hudson's progress and the signability of John Danks (he's the future Mark Buehrle, so sorry he's not getting traded). But if things fall to place Gavin could be a valuable trade chip.

If Hudson continues to progress at the alarming rate he did last year, it would definitely mean the end of Gavin's stay in Chicago. Floyd's been a great pitcher for us, but Hudson's ceiling is higher than his. The Detroit game should've proved that. And IMO Gavin's probably already peaked. I don't think alone he could net us a big bat (i.e. Gonzo or Fielder) but he could haul in a bounty of good prospects. And if the Sox were confident enough in the offense and Daniel Hudson taking over the 3rd/4th spot, reinforcing the farm system would be a sound baseball move.

- Gavin's from Maryland

- The Nats have quite a bit of intriguing prospects (Derek Norris, Chris Marrero)

With Norris being blocked by Jesus Flores and the 2010 projected No. 1 overall pick being Bryce Harper C. Norris could be part of a deal along with a few other pieces.

Maybe Gavin Floyd for Derek Norris, Sean Burnett, and couple hi-A pitchers isn't out of the question. That way Norris is your future catcher and Flowers can slide to 1B/DH and concentrate his efforts on power. Burnett could also fair well as the LOOGY.

This is all predicated on Hudson's progress and the signability of John Danks (he's the future Mark Buehrle, so sorry he's not getting traded). But if things fall to place Gavin could be a valuable trade chip.

I am all for keeping the core 4 together but this is going to weigh in at the end of the season if Danks1 does not agree to an extension buying out his remaining Arb years and maybe 1-2 FA years. And since this core is perfectly balanced with righty-lefty-righty-lefty it makes opposing lineups more humble from a percentages point of view. I really see Hudson starting off in AAA then sharing some of the 5 spot load with Sweaty Freddie. As much as I think we have a good series of trade chips I think now at the July trade deadline we will know what we have and what we need. I don´t see Hudson becoming a fulltime starter until 2011 and that after a good look in ST, AAA and some spot starts this year and long bullpen relief.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 11:53 PM)

- Gavin's from Maryland

As crazy as it sound, right now Gavin Floyd might be the least likely pitcher to get traded on the Sox team. Out of the starters, Danks would be the most likely, as he has refused to sign an extension to this point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
As crazy as it sound, right now Gavin Floyd might be the least likely pitcher to get traded on the Sox team. Out of the starters, Danks would be the most likely, as he has refused to sign an extension to this point.

I'm really hoping Danks signs an extension this offseason, same with Quentin. If not, I might consider shopping them after the season...

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 2, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
I'm really hoping Danks signs an extension this offseason, same with Quentin. If not, I might consider shopping them after the season...

I am sure Kenny goes back to Danks and tries again. If the rumor about Q being offered in a trade proposal was actually true, I am guessing the only way they extend him is cheap. They may well be worried about his injury problems.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)

Gavin was almost traded to the Orioles for Brian Roberts, before the O's signed him to that ridiculous deal. So I wouldn't say he isn't likely to get traded. Gavin's a good pitcher, and one of my favorite players, but I think the organization knows he's not much more than a back of the rotation guy and he has tremendous value to a team looking for SP, as I mentioned the Nationals.

I think the White Sox have more faith and promise with Danks and Hudson. Now Hudson still too young to project entirely, but from the small sample we got to see against ML hitting; he was dominant borderline unhittable. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses.

With Danks(and his brother) dropping Boras, I think there's enough goodwill to sign him to an extension. Whether it happens this year or next is still up in the air, but ultimately I think it happens. I think he'll get close to the Lester-deal, probably same years less money

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 01:25 AM)
Gavin was almost traded to the Orioles for Brian Roberts, before the O's signed him to that ridiculous deal. So I wouldn't say he isn't likely to get traded. Gavin's a good pitcher, and one of my favorite players, but I think the organization knows he's not much more than a back of the rotation guy and he has tremendous value to a team looking for SP, as I mentioned the Nationals.

I actually don't think he has much value to the Nationals or a rebuilding team such as that period. He's going to be a free agent after his contract is up, and that's not enough time for these teams to get on their feet. They'd be wasting prospects for a pitcher that will ultimately do little for them. Teams that would be interested would be talented teams who are very close to putting something together - the Orioles, Brewers, Rangers, maybe even the Reds, Astros, or Mets.

Further, I don't think the Sox consider Gavin Floyd to be a back of the rotation starter. Floyd put up an ERA of 2.97 in his final 22 starts of the season, and I think he could very easily be the 2nd best starter on the Sox next year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)
I actually don't think he has much value to the Nationals or a rebuilding team such as that period. He's going to be a free agent after his contract is up, and that's not enough time for these teams to get on their feet. They'd be wasting prospects for a pitcher that will ultimately do little for them. Teams that would be interested would be talented teams who are very close to putting something together - the Orioles, Brewers, Rangers, maybe even the Reds, Astros, or Mets.

Further, I don't think the Sox consider Gavin Floyd to be a back of the rotation starter. Floyd put up an ERA of 2.97 in his final 22 starts of the season, and I think he could very easily be the 2nd best starter on the Sox next year.

I definitely agree with that. Floyd was great this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he even leads this team in FIP next year. He's proven that he can be much more than a 4/5.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 01:25 AM)

I think the White Sox have more faith and promise with Danks and Hudson. Now Hudson still too young to project entirely, but from the small sample we got to see against ML hitting; he was dominant borderline unhittable. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses.

With Danks(and his brother) dropping Boras, I think there's enough goodwill to sign him to an extension. Whether it happens this year or next is still up in the air, but ultimately I think it happens. I think he'll get close to the Lester-deal, probably same years less money

With his set contract giving the white sox cheap cost certianty, and his improving peripherals, not to mention the IP, he isn't going anywhere.