Uni Watch: Sox uniform history plus...new uni ideas?!

knightni

I have disliked UniWatch since he ranked the "Worst Uniforms Ever" and had the Sox on there for 2 reasons. They wear black socks (and knowing Paul Lukas, if they had white ones, he'd whine to no end about those) and because the Sox were "overdue for a change". Essentially, since they changed so often and finally settled on a good look for 20 years, its time to change. He also hates the alternates being worn with frequency.

I don't mind the Red/Black one with the 2-tone hat, but it looks a lot like the Orioles.

Not a fan of the powder blues, leave that to throwbacks.

The pink ones are straight up atrocious.

I like the home uni in the '59 throwbacks, but nothing else. That black hat with the red lines is uuuugh.

I actually really like the All-Black with the old school C logo. Wouldn't mind those as a road alternate.

Why in the world would we change some of the best looking uniforms in baseball. I love the colors and the look of the current Sox uni and hat. Sure if they want to have an alternate Sunday uni sure. If its to replace the entire kit, then forget it. The black and white is a clean classic look.

3 Things better not change for the fan experience.

1.) Uniforms need to stay.

2.) the Opening montage needs to stay and DONT f*** WITH THUNDERSTRUCK.

3.) Black out must happen during the playoffs.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
Why in the world would we change some of the best looking uniforms in baseball. I love the colors and the look of the current Sox uni and hat. Sure if they want to have an alternate Sunday uni sure. If its to replace the entire kit, then forget it. The black and white is a clean classic look.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
I have disliked UniWatch since he ranked the "Worst Uniforms Ever" and had the Sox on there for 2 reasons. They wear black socks (and knowing Paul Lukas, if they had white ones, he'd whine to no end about those) and because the Sox were "overdue for a change". Essentially, since they changed so often and finally settled on a good look for 20 years, its time to change. He also hates the alternates being worn with frequency.

That's why. Paul Lukas had them as the fifth worst current uniform in need of a change, but basically gave the 2 reasons of black socks and that since their the Sox, they need to change every 5 years.

The White Sox would be fools to change their uniforms again. As many others already mentioned, they finally found a design that works.

I also don't see any big deal with the Sox wearing black Sox, I think it looks very nice and very sleek because black is the opposite color of white, anyway.

I think the Sox should keep all 3 of their current uniforms, but the only thing I think they should do is changed the cursive "Chicago" script on the road greys to a more old-school style printed arced C H I C A G O, much like on the Yankees' and Boston's uniforms. I'll be honest, the one thing I always hated on all mlb uniforms is cursive script.

If the Sox decide to add another uniform, they should keep the 3 they currently have and just add a 4th alternate, and I think the 4th alternate should be similar to the one the Sox wore in the early 1900's with the old Sox logo with the big S and the o and x inside the S.

I'm actually used to the team changing their look pretty often, so I wouldn't have any problem with a new uniform.

I find myself thinking it's time for a change. The current uniforms are great, but I think something new would be refreshing.

I don't want toothpaste tubes ('83) or softball uniforms ('76), but I've liked the majority of the choices they've made over the years.

At the very least, I support the idea of rotating Sunday retro uniforms, home and road.

If nothing else, it would give the fans a whole bunch of new gear to buy.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
Ugh, why Red? Every team in the majors doesn't need to wear red, blue, or both.

Yeah, enough red already. I was mad when the Barons added red back to their uniforms instead of keeping the White Sox mimicked uniforms. Paul Lukas is okay, but a little nuts, plus his opinion of what uniforms are the best overall will make you hurl. (Red Sox, Steelers, etc.)

Like The Critic, I'd be ok if the uniform changed. I've seen a lot of changes to White Sox uniforms so I'm kinda used to the uniform changing every now and then. My all-time favorite is the current uniform followed by the Dick Allen-era red uniforms.

In 1980 or whenever it was, the fans voted for the new uniform and the Winnin' Ugly uniforms were the winner. I voted for something else, but I thought it was really cool to have the fans vote. That'd be kinda neat if they did that again.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
Ugh, why Red? Every team in the majors doesn't need to wear red, blue, or both.

Thirteen teams have some form of red in their uniform, and its annoying.

I'd be fine with '59 throwbacks with the red outline every now and then, but I have never understood the amount of red in the MLB.

I do agree that they wear the Black Alternates waaaaay too much. The home and away jersey's are so perfect, but I wouldn't be mad if they changed them.

Edited by Cali

When they were released late in the 1990 season, the silver and blacks quickly shot to the top of MLB's best-selling uniforms and fan gear. I like the nods to the 50s-70s unis with a modern update in silver, although the silver often translates to gray.

Although I should be careful what I wish for—the LA Kings use silver in their uniforms and their lettering and accents have a glittery finish that fits the city's effervescent, superficial tendencies and is a hit with the Ed Hardy-loving set.

I do like the idea of white socks. If they had a black calf and were white the rest of the way down, that's the only thing I'd change. They have to have some black in there to balance.

I also like the sleeveless white pinstripes, and wish they'd have kept those instead of the ones they chose.

And while they were among the first to rock the third jersey, I think it's time to either mothball it or at least let it breathe more than they do.

They also need to bring back the satin jacket instead of the ski parka. League-wide.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
Yeah, enough red already. I was mad when the Barons added red back to their uniforms instead of keeping the White Sox mimicked uniforms. Paul Lukas is okay, but a little nuts, plus his opinion of what uniforms are the best overall will make you hurl. (Red Sox, Steelers, etc.)

I like Paul Lukas' blog although it's safe to say I don't always agree with his opinions.

I think the Red Sox and Steelers do have some of the best uniforms in sports, but it's difficult to pick one without any fan bias.

Of course I'm blessed to root for teams that are sartorially sound—White Sox, Dodgers, Bears, Blackhawks.

Edited by Drew

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
The jerseys are fine. The only thing I want done is to bring the sleeveless back!

capt.cxs11009252313.twins_white_sox_cxs1

^^^^^^

Me too! The sleeveless ones were sharp IMO. I like the 59 throwbacks too. But to change the unis just to change...I don't like it at all. Have the Yanks changed? The Red Sox? Cubs. Dodgers? Leave the uni changes to the bottom feeders who merely need a quick revenue boost selling new merchandise.