Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 07:12 AM)
Eh, I think she really was that shocked. Which says a lot about the world she lives in, as its clearly not the one the rest of us do.

i dont know what she is freaking out about. Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie got out of jail in like 45 minutes and 13 minutes each after being sentenced to something like a combined 3 months. Its not like Lohan is going to stay in jail for 90 days

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
i dont know what she is freaking out about. Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie got out of jail in like 45 minutes and 13 minutes each after being sentenced to something like a combined 3 months. Its not like Lohan is going to stay in jail for 90 days

I love how she insisted to the judge that she was taking this seriously, then the media noticed that before the hearing she had painted on the nail of her middle finger "f*** you". She really doesn't understand reality.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 08:46 PM)
I accidentally yelled at a retarded kid when I was lighting fireworks yesterday. He kept digging in my bag and mixing s*** and bringing them to me and insisting I light them after the adults repeatedly told them to stop (like all the other kids were doing) and he happened to be the next one that stepped over the line. I had no idea, but damn did I feel s***ty. lol. On the bright side I guess, I don't think he actually comprehended the fact that I was mad because I wasn't really yelling and he sounded confused but I had to tell him "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell" anyway and explain why I didn't want them touching that s***.

Really, a buddy of mine's facebook update was the same thing.

I was going to go to whywaitforbooks.com to look at what books I need for the fall semester. Using Chrome, I typed in why and like 5 results popped up...2 of them are pages I've been on, and the other 3 were (in order) "why can't i own a canadian" "why is my poop green" and "why did i get married too"

wtf

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
I was going to go to whywaitforbooks.com to look at what books I need for the fall semester. Using Chrome, I typed in why and like 5 results popped up...2 of them are pages I've been on, and the other 3 were (in order) "why can't i own a canadian" "why is my poop green" and "why did i get married too"

wtf

Incredible.

Lately we have been a little lax around Soxtalk with keeping up the expected posting standards. The amount of personal attacks and the like has been much higher lately that it has been for a while. In response we have dug in a bit and handed out suspensions to about half a dozen different people. The time ranged based on past problems, and the infractions, but a couple of them are going to be for significant amounts of time. Basically all we want to see here is for people to at least be respectful. You make an angry point without making it into a personal attack. Please remember this while posting.

Thanks!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
Lately we have been a little lax around Soxtalk with keeping up the expected posting standards. The amount of personal attacks and the like has been much higher lately that it has been for a while. In response we have dug in a bit and handed out suspensions to about half a dozen different people. The time ranged based on past problems, and the infractions, but a couple of them are going to be for significant amounts of time. Basically all we want to see here is for people to at least be respectful. You make an angry point without making it into a personal attack. Please remember this while posting.

Thanks!

Somewhere, WARN LEVEL Sirens left and right are screaming in a supersecret sub-basement Soxtalk Fortress of Solitude.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
f*** YOU!

Milk, while I "get" that you're trying to be funny here, this is not really the place for that. We're trying to decide the future of the Soxtalk's membership, I'd hate to see your humor misunderstood.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
Milk, while I "get" that you're trying to be funny here, this is not really the place for that. We're trying to decide the future of the Soxtalk's membership, I'd hate to see your humor misunderstood.

I just don't get it. Green is what you are supposed to use when implying sarcasm... highly sarcastic even. When green is not used for something ''sarcastic'' or a ''joke'' people get made fun of like they are fools because they do not follow the lead. What he said was green, hence making it fair game, whether he intended otherwise or not. No other way to interrupt it.

No one in there right mind would insult flasoxx... as the general consensus is he is the best poster to grace these boards. No one (sure might be a couple crazy people) dislikes flasoxx, you are just grasping for straws.

f***ed if you do, f***ed if you don't.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
I just don't get it. Green is what you are supposed to use when implying sarcasm... highly sarcastic even. When green is not used for something ''sarcastic'' or a ''joke'' people get made fun of like they are fools because they do not follow the lead. What he said was green, hence making it fair game, whether he intended otherwise or not. No other way to interrupt it.

No one in there right mind would insult flasoxx... as the general consensus is he is the best poster to grace these boards. No one (sure might be a couple crazy people) dislikes flasoxx, you are just grasping for straws.

f***ed if you do, f***ed if you don't.

Actually, Knightni was willing to let this slide.

I am the one who took exception to it, and I'll explain why, since the original message was apparently not enough.

First of all, between the crazy turnaround of our season and the 23-5 run since the beginning of June, everyone has been in a great mood for the most part around here and so the mods/admins have tried to let people enjoy themselves after the depressing April and May start to the season. However, things have gone a bit too far as of late, especially during the recent "Summer of LeBron" and the failure of the Bulls to secure one of the top 3 free agents.

It became clear that we needed to reign things in a bit around here in order to maintain a respectful order and continue the high quality of discussion that Soxtalk.com prides itself on. The mods/admins discussed the matter, and some individuals were suspended. A message was posted in this thread as a friendly warning and to put posters on notice that the standards of the forum would be enforced.

Flaxx's response was in good humor and was a nice way of lightening the mood a bit.

Milk's response, while clearly intended to be sarcasm, as well as humorous, was inappropriate in the context of the message Mike had just posted and myself, as well as others, felt it should be responded to. Knight took it upon himself to offer Milk a friendly warning that his post was inappropriate.

One final, but important note. While the use of sarcasm or parody is appreciated and accepted on this forum, and the use of a green font is the universally accepted manner of expressing obvious sarcasm on Soxtalk, this does not serve as some all-encompassing exception or shield in which to insulate or exempt one from the general rules of this forum. One may not use the green font to express otherwise unacceptable ideas or thoughts and hide behind the idea of sarcasm to escape warnings or punishment.

We are not trying restrict expression, but it is absolutely necessary to maintain some rules or general guidelines of reasonable decorum and some semblance of respect and order so that Soxtalk may be best enjoyed by the broadest possible audience.

Thanks

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
I volunteered to go to Louisiana for business like an IDIOT and now I'll be spending the next 10 days in rural Louisiana.

I guess next weekend I'll drive to either Houston or New Orleans.

If you hear Dueling Banjos...RUN!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
Milk's response, while clearly intended to be sarcasm, as well as humorous, was inappropriate in the context of the message Mike had just posted and myself, as well as others, felt it should be responded to. Knight took it upon himself to offer Milk a friendly warning that his post was inappropriate.

Jesus christ, are you kidding me? Has Soxtalk suddenly transformed into communist Russia where people can't even make a damned joke without getting lectured? You said yourself it was clearly intended to be sarcastic and humorous, so again, what's the problem?

This is a message board. Stop pretending it's some big time stuffy business where posters that know each other can't even joke around with one another. Seriously, get a sense of humor... you take yourself way too seriously.

Edited by Felix

OK, I'll start this post off by saying that I am drunk (Tex ;)) and that I was indeed joking around, but also that I was sort of doing it to be a douche. Like qwerty said, nobody has anything bad to say about Flaxx, he's a great poster. I'll take this opportunity to thank qwerty and Felix because they're awesome.

I also understand knight's post because, as I admitted, I said it to be a jerk. I probably deserve to get a suspension of some kind, so I won't dispute it if I get one.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 03:55 AM)
OK, I'll start this post off by saying that I am drunk (Tex ;)) and that I was indeed joking around, but also that I was sort of doing it to be a douche. Like qwerty said, nobody has anything bad to say about Flaxx, he's a great poster. I'll take this opportunity to thank qwerty and Felix because they're awesome.

I also understand knight's post because, as I admitted, I said it to be a jerk. I probably deserve to get a suspension of some kind, so I won't dispute it if I get one.

I post under the working assumption that everybody is drunk, so I rarely take offense at anything.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 04:45 AM)
No you don't.

Agreed — as are the mods and admins I would bet.

I don't envy the mods and admins here their gig in the least. They have to walk a very fine line sometimes when trying to keep things loose and easy and making sure loose doesn't turn into lawless. Like Felix and Qwerty, I was surprised at first to see Milk's obviously (to us) playful snarkiness get such a heavy-handed response. But given that we were being put on notice (nicely) about keeping our posts civil I can see where the response is coming from.

For the record, I still think it is Hall of Justice Cool that we all have a Warn Alert status associated with our profiles. :headbang

If they really wanted to send a message to the entire forum, they wouldn't have hid the initial post in a Catch-All thread in an offtopic forum, where I'd guess the vast majority of PHT readers don't venture.