Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
If they really wanted to send a message to the entire forum, they wouldn't have hid the initial post in a Catch-All thread in an offtopic forum, where I'd guess the vast majority of PHT readers don't venture.

My guess is that friendly notices have been posted in several places and also that folks needing a gentle reining in probably received them via PM.

At least I love the fact that it is the Sox tearing it up right now that has folks here acting a bit unruly. That's way better than everybody being dog-kicking mad over the team when it's playing poorly.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything I think sometimes the mods are a little bit too strict, vast majority of posters are senior in highschool or older so not like a bunch of kids that need policing. Sure sometimes it gets nasty and a warning to cool things down is needed but overall there shouldnt be much policing.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
If anything I think sometimes the mods are a little bit too strict, vast majority of posters are senior in highschool or older so not like a bunch of kids that need policing. Sure sometimes it gets nasty and a warning to cool things down is needed but overall there shouldnt be much policing.

lol. man. we're sooo not strict man. Honestly. I run the area that probably would produce the most suspensions by nature (Filibuster) and I can count on one hand the number of posters I've suspended and that includes a general election season. Add in the ones that the globals or admins have done and it still fits on one hand.

You're right in that this place doesn't really need (or want) much policing but to keep it from being a cesspool actually does take some effort. Every now and then one of us has to be "that guy," but even still, a lot of what we talk about ends up being no action taken and never makes it out to the main board, not because we're being secretive or anything, but because there's just no need to bring these things up and start conflict for no reason.

I've admin'd forums for about 15 years now, you know, since Algore invented message boards ( ;) ) and this place lets you do a lot of stuff that most places don't. It always is a good chuckle when I see that we are commies that want to kick the "free speech" thing down.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
I've admin'd forums for about 15 years now, you know, since Algore invented message boards ( ;) ) and this place lets you do a lot of stuff that most places don't. It always is a good chuckle when I see that we are commies that want to kick the "free speech" thing down.

I didnt say commies or any of that, just sometimes it seems when too people are disagreeing on a topic admins can be a little fast on the draw, I dont ever recall it from you 2 anyways.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
I didnt say commies or any of that, just sometimes it seems when too people are disagreeing on a topic admins can be a little fast on the draw, I dont ever recall it from you 2 anyways.

It's all good. I'm only saying that the main times we as a group try to step in is when it's either blatent or there's an overall degredation of posting.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
By too much, I mean continuous inhalation, because it stays in your lungs for long periods of time and can reduce your oxygen levels.

I'm pretty sure too much helium would kill you, too. But yeah, I'd definitely be careful with it. And if I were to ever get my hands on it, I probably wouldn't have enough to kill anyone because it's so expensive.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:54 AM)
Why the f*** do they call it a "short" sale, if it takes so damn long for the bank to respond??????

Its a financial term that has to do with selling something you don't own. You don't own it, er go you are short it. It is mainly used in stock and commodities trading.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:56 AM)
Its a financial term that has to do with selling something you don't own. You don't own it, er go you are short it. It is mainly used in stock and commodities trading.

Yeah, I gotcha, it makes sense, but it's just so annoying. The owners accepted our bid a month ago, but now we are still sitting back waiting for the bank to approve or reject it. I just want an answer so I can tell my dog if he's finally gonna have a backyard or not, lol.

Every George Carlin fan (and I know there are several on this board) should read "Last Words."

I kind of always wondered what Carlin thought his best work was. I thought he really hit full stride and started moving towards "legendary" status in the mid 80s and then had his best material in the 90s. Hearing it in his words, apparently he thought so too. He had a period where he stagnated and then had some kind of awakening where he realized his full potential. His best jokes weren't really jokes, although they were obviously still funny.

The man was a gift to us all, he was an idol to me... RIP.

Edited by lostfan

This past weekend I was talking to one of my two best friends for hours and Im pretty sure he is suffering from depression and told him that he should go see a doctor and get checked out. I later found out that both his parents had depression too which just really enforced my opinion.

If true, my best friend, mom, dad's mom and dad, and ex girlfriend (of 2.5 years) have all had depression. Thats just f***ed up.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 11:17 PM)
This past weekend I was talking to one of my two best friends for hours and Im pretty sure he is suffering from depression and told him that he should go see a doctor and get checked out. I later found out that both his parents had depression too which just really enforced my opinion.

If true, my best friend, mom, dad's mom and dad, and ex girlfriend (of 2.5 years) have all had depression. Thats just f***ed up.

Well, that's depressing in itself. :(

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 07:37 PM)
Every George Carlin fan (and I know there are several on this board) should read "Last Words."

I kind of always wondered what Carlin thought his best work was. I thought he really hit full stride and started moving towards "legendary" status in the mid 80s and then had his best material in the 90s. Hearing it in his words, apparently he thought so too. He had a period where he stagnated and then had some kind of awakening where he realized his full potential. His best jokes weren't really jokes, although they were obviously still funny.

The man was a gift to us all, he was an idol to me... RIP.

One of my heroes.

Very strange thing happened this morning:

A high school sophomore (Maybe Jr?) that volunteers for the church I work for work up this morning completely disoriented. He has all his long term memory, but has no memory of the last week and didnt know what day it was. Very very weird.