Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
There are plenty of Coyotes around where I live(Sleepy Hollow/Dundee). I actually saw one at the Route 31/I 90 on ramp waiting to cross the road like it was an everyday occurence

The organization that I work for has at least 4 coyotes that live in the wooded area in the back of our property. They'll walk right up to the back porches of the houses on our property. They're fearless.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
get used to seeing Coyote in the Chicago area, even the city. They've been adapting quickly here and moving in all over the place.

And now, we had our first Wolf sighting in Illinois a few months back, as the packs in Wisconsin continue to thrive and push south.

People are already in a panic about coyote in some of the suburbs (with, mostly, no good cause to be), wolves will increase that tension a lot (again, without any good reason, in terms of human safety).

I really don't think I'll ever see a coyote where I live. Someone saw a raccoon a few years ago, and it was the talk of the town.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
I really don't think I'll ever see a coyote where I live. Someone saw a raccoon a few years ago, and it was the talk of the town.

You never know, you might see a mountain lion someday

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
Wolves are pretty benevolent towards people aren't they?

In recorded history in North America (recorded meaning, like, the past couple hundred years, reliably recorded), there has been either zero or one wolf predations of humans. There was a case in northern Canada some time back, a teenage boy walking home from work at night disappeared. The body was found having been bitten up by wolves, but they don't know if that's what killed him. That's it, ever, on this continent, in modern times.

The list of animals more likely to kill you includes raccoons, for example, via rabies.

Wolves, as a general rule, don't attack people. I'm sure it will happen some day, but it will be the definition of an aberration. That won't stop some people from wanting to go out and kill all of them, of course.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
I'm sure that Milkman has seen his fair share of cougars.

I can never see enough.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
In recorded history in North America (recorded meaning, like, the past couple hundred years, reliably recorded), there has been either zero or one wolf predations of humans. There was a case in northern Canada some time back, a teenage boy walking home from work at night disappeared. The body was found having been bitten up by wolves, but they don't know if that's what killed him. That's it, ever, on this continent, in modern times.

The list of animals more likely to kill you includes raccoons, for example, via rabies.

Wolves, as a general rule, don't attack people. I'm sure it will happen some day, but it will be the definition of an aberration. That won't stop some people from wanting to go out and kill all of them, of course.

Wow, that is news to me. Cool to know.

Because they're a threat to their livestock. They also slaughter a lot of bison for fear of passing disease to livestock.

Its the werewolves you have to watch out for... :unsure:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)

I used to rattle off that factoid for years when people would demonize wolves. That became harder to do this past March. This was pretty well publicized when it happened. I'm surprised you didn't see it.

All in all though, I think humans don't have a lot to fear from wolves in the wild.

My brother's house down at school in Raleigh got broken into today. He had some money and his laptop stolen and his roommates had their laptops stolen too. No one was home when it happened and the house was locked up but they busted open the backdoor. I'm glad he's ok but it still sucks and I feel just awful for him.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 11:36 PM)
Jupiter is visible tonight, and probably tomorrownight, to the left of the moon. You can't miss it, it's really bright like Venus and there's nothing else in the vicinity that's as bright.

It's been that visible for a couple months now and it'll probably be that way for at least 6 months...although I think it slowly is migrating later into the night.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)
I used to rattle off that factoid for years when people would demonize wolves. That became harder to do this past March. This was pretty well publicized when it happened. I'm surprised you didn't see it.

All in all though, I think humans don't have a lot to fear from wolves in the wild.

Whoa... I didn't see that. Well, I guess the number is now 1 or 2, instead of 0 or 1.

I suppose as wolves come back to strength, and populations continue to push into their territory, this was inevitable. Still highly aberrant though.

StrangeSox, yes, wolves are threats to livestock, as well as pets occasionally. I own some property in New Mexico near where they reintroduced Mexican Wolves back in 2002, its been topic number one in that area since then. Very controversial. Ranchers hate them, and residents are convinced their children will be dragged out of their homes at night by them.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
Jupiter is visible tonight, and probably tomorrownight, to the left of the moon. You can't miss it, it's really bright like Venus and there's nothing else in the vicinity that's as bright.

I went out and looked because I saw your post. Pretty cool, looked like a really bright star.

I need a little advice on how to properly measure my houses square footage. I have a three level rectangular townhome. Level one is a garage and storage room, level two is kitchen, dinning, and family room, level three is bedrooms.

Do I just take the internal perimeter measurements and multiply times 3? Or do i need to factor out the area taken up by walls? How do i count stairs? I assume the garage is NOT included in the square footage?

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
I need a little advice on how to properly measure my houses square footage. I have a three level rectangular townhome. Level one is a garage and storage room, level two is kitchen, dinning, and family room, level three is bedrooms.

Do I just take the internal perimeter measurements and multiply times 3? Or do i need to factor out the area taken up by walls? How do i count stairs? I assume the garage is NOT included in the square footage?

Garage definitely not included. Wall space and air space (i.e. stair well space) also not included. Anything in a basement, also not included.

Beyond that, you will have to look around on the web to figure it out.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
Have you ever seen a fox? And then realized "s*** that's a fox, I've never seen one in real life"?

Golfing about 8 years ago or so. Hit the green. Fox comes out, takes the ball, goes back into the trees.

Recently, I randomly saw a big fat f***ing beaver roadkilled in the middle of Route 53 in Lombard. Seemed like a weird spot for a beaver.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
Garage definitely not included. Wall space and air space (i.e. stair well space) also not included. Anything in a basement, also not included.

Beyond that, you will have to look around on the web to figure it out.

So, basically measure the wall-to-wall square footage of each room and add them together?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
get used to seeing Coyote in the Chicago area, even the city. They've been adapting quickly here and moving in all over the place.

And now, we had our first Wolf sighting in Illinois a few months back, as the packs in Wisconsin continue to thrive and push south.

People are already in a panic about coyote in some of the suburbs (with, mostly, no good cause to be), wolves will increase that tension a lot (again, without any good reason, in terms of human safety).

We had a coyote in our backyard a couple years ago. Cute little f***er.

So it's going to cost me 2700 f***in dollars to get my car fixed. Add that to me totaling my car out last summer by crashing underneath a damn semi and I'm on quite the f***in roll the last few years. Did I mention the fact that I'm currently unemployed? f***

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 09:18 PM)
So it's going to cost me 2700 f***in dollars to get my car fixed. Add that to me totaling my car out last summer by crashing underneath a damn semi and I'm on quite the f***in roll the last few years. Did I mention the fact that I'm currently unemployed? f***

I feel your pain. I'm up to almost $2000 to get mine fixed. That's after I just paid about $500 for new tires just a couple of weeks ago.

Car repairs/maintenance suck.