2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
I had forgotten that Dempster and Kevin Millar are best friends. They should be one of the more annoying pairings in Cubs history.

Dempster has to be one of the most annoying nerds I've seen on the Cubs. From his pointless glove flipping to his Word Series Guarantee, the Cubs brass should gag the guy.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
Saw Tom Ricketts at a black tie affair at Union Station on Saturday...wanted to heckle him so bad but I remained silent. Goofy looking fellow

They actually seem like a very nice family. Much less hateable than the corporation who has owned that team my entire life until now obviously.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Yeesh, already?

Asked about possible racial profiling among some media members in comparing Byrd and Bradley, Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee didn't mince words.

"It's ridiculous," Lee told Bruce Levine and Jonathan Hood on ESPN 1000's "Talkin' Baseball" Saturday morning. "If it was a white guy who came over [to the Cubs] would he be [called] the 'anti-Milton Bradley'? It just makes no sense. Marlon's a completely different guy. He wasn't traded for Milton. He signed here as a free agent, so why even bring Milton Bradley's name into it? It really makes no sense and it's just, again, the media trying to make something out of nothing."

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
Dempster has to be one of the most annoying nerds I've seen on the Cubs. From his pointless glove flipping to his Word Series Guarantee, the Cubs brass should gag the guy.

It's rare that you'd ever say that a guy deserved an injury, but I think that it's accurate when it comes to Dempster's last year. He fell over the dugout fence because he's a Wrigley Field show-off, who needs to shout "look at me" to the fans at the park. For years, he was Cub funny guy with the local media; then he needed something else to occupy his attention-starved time. That's why he would do his stupid hop over the fence, and that's why he fell and hurt himself. It's the same phenomenon as the Soriano hop and the Zambrano break-the-bat-over-his-knee bit. Try baseball, gentlemen.

Edited by Friend of Nordhagen

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
They actually seem like a very nice family. Much less hateable than the corporation who has owned that team my entire life until now obviously.

They really do, it was a cancer benefit and he purchased a table (just for an appearance) and booked right after dinner. Tables were not cheap but we all know it didn't bother them

Boers and Bernstein are doing a great segment ripping Pinella and the Cubs for pretending that this is some young hungry team who has no expectations.

Also, I love how every Cubs prospect just gets a pass when the way that system has hyped prospects and then fizzled, every one should be looked at with a critical eye.

Milton Bradley finds the true reason he played badly last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4965307

"Two years ago, I played, and I was good. I go to Chicago, not good. I've been good my whole career. So, obviously, it was something with Chicago, not me."

"Just no communication," Bradley told the paper about his Cubs tenure. "I never hit more than 22 homers in my career, and all of a sudden I get to Chicago and they expect me to hit 30. It doesn't make sense. History tells you I'm not going to hit that many. Just a lot of things that try to make me a player I'm not."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
Milton Bradley finds the true reason he played badly last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4965307

It boggles my mind the pass Hendry gets in this town. He has arguably the worst non pitcher contract in the MLB stumbling around in LF for another 5 years (which, if you believe reports, the Cubs completely bid against themselves, I believe the only other report of a team having any interest was the Phills kicked the tires on him), he has had a consistent top 5 payroll and the team has made a grand total of 1 serious run during the playoffs, and you can argue that was in large part due to taking advantage of a Pitt fire sale, and he completely jumped the gun and misread the Bradley market last off-season and was made to look like a fool when Abreu, Dunn and even Ibanez inked their deals later, not to mention other bad moves.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
Boers and Bernstein are doing a great segment ripping Pinella and the Cubs for pretending that this is some young hungry team who has no expectations.

Also, I love how every Cubs prospect just gets a pass when the way that system has hyped prospects and then fizzled, every one should be looked at with a critical eye.

That is great. They have 2 young players in their lineup and they are young and hungry. The Sox have younger players at 3B, SS, 2B, RF and in the rotation and pen and they are old.