2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
I realize that the Cubs made a lot of mistakes with Bradley, but... Sorry Milton, this is 90% on you.

Why? On the field he did what he does......off of the field the same thing.

The cubs brought him in to be a power leftie bat and he is not that. He is an OBP guy. He is not a home run and RBI guy.

His OBP was what you would expect it to be.

The cubs billed him as a winner.....he has never won.

He took the money but they could not make him something he is not. That is on the cubs.

It would be like saying Mark Teahan is the guy that is going to produce a ton of power and RBI and bring a history of winning to the southside......then if this does not happen the minion get all upiddy and crucify the guy.

Edited by Jenks Heat

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)
Why? On the field he did what he does......off of the field the same thing.

The cubs brought him in to be a power leftie bat and he is not that. He is an OBP guy. He is not a home run and RBI guy.

His OBP was what you would expect it to be.

The cubs billed him as a winner.....he has never won.

He took the money but they could not make him something he is not. That is on the cubs.

It would be like saying Mark Teahan is the guy that is going to produce a ton of power and RBI and bring a history of winning to the southside......then if this does not happen the minion get all upiddy and crucify the guy.

Eh? As I recall, they signed him to be an OBP and RBI guy, which he's been. They just also thought they could somehow change him personally, which was obviously not possible.

Bradley failed in Chicago, mostly, because he's Bradley. Not because of the Cubs.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
for those who didn't watch the game or monitor the game thread, when Hendry was in the booth with Len and Bob, Len dropped a nugget along these lines "The Cubs never over-hype their prospects." It good a funny reaction in the game thread.

I love irony.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
Sweet Lou says there is no way Starlin Castro starts the season in the majors. At least we can avoid the hype machine for a little bit.

Not really. The longer he is in the minors, the longer the hype machine works. It is once he gets to the majors that the questions get answered one way or another.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 08:27 AM)
If he can't throw, there is no way he can hit at 100%.

He probably can.

That's the unique thing about the ulnar collateral ligament tear (tommy john). It only bothers you when you separate the inside of the elbow during motion. This happens during throwing because the shoulder and humerus are leading the forearm. It doesn't happen during hitting because holding onto the bat stabilizes the elbow and you only get elbow extension.

You'll see in rehab protocols that people start hitting very early in the process but can't throw until near the end.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
He probably can.

That's the unique thing about the ulnar collateral ligament tear (tommy john). It only bothers you when you separate the inside of the elbow during motion. This happens during throwing because the shoulder and humerus are leading the forearm. It doesn't happen during hitting because holding onto the bat stabilizes the elbow and you only get elbow extension.

You'll see in rehab protocols that people start hitting very early in the process but can't throw until near the end.

Interesting. I never knew any of that.

Surely this idea has been floated before, but now with the Guzman injury does anyone think there's a chance Linebrink gets dealt to the Cubs? Supposedly they're sniffing around Jason Frasor w/the Jays and they're in desperate need for some RHP out of the pen.

No idea what we would ask for, but If the cubs offered a decent spec for him, it'd clearly be a good deal for the Sox - getting Linebrink's contract off the books.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (Fotop @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:49 AM)
Surely this idea has been floated before, but now with the Guzman injury does anyone think there's a chance Linebrink gets dealt to the Cubs? Supposedly they're sniffing around Jason Frasor w/the Jays and they're in desperate need for some RHP out of the pen.

No idea what we would ask for, but If the cubs offered a decent spec for him, it'd clearly be a good deal for the Sox - getting Linebrink's contract off the books.

Thoughts?

A desperate Hendry is a stupid Hendry, even stupider than usual.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
Andres Blanco (Backup IF, out of options) sprained a knee and is out 2 weeks or so.

They'd REALLY be rushing Castro to start him on the Cubs this year, even if he's as good as everybody says (and obviously, we have no idea if he is or not.) I think they'd be smart to start him in Iowa, even if Blanco is out for longer than they think.

As for Linebrink to the Cubs, come on now, I don't even think they are that dumb. If they call about it though, obviously answer the phone and be nice.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:41 AM)
They'd REALLY be rushing Castro to start him on the Cubs this year, even if he's as good as everybody says (and obviously, we have no idea if he is or not.) I think they'd be smart to start him in Iowa, even if Blanco is out for longer than they think.

As for Linebrink to the Cubs, come on now, I don't even think they are that dumb. If they call about it though, obviously answer the phone and be nice.

I think they're almost certainly that dumb. They did give up Jose Ceda for Kevin Gregg and he made $4.2 mil last year. As bad as Linebrink has been at times, he can't be any worse than Gregg. Obviously we're talking about $10.5 mil committment to Linebrink for two years, so the money is certainly a factor, but this type of move is right up their alley.

It's def. not out of the question. They are, or at least to pretend to always be, in win-now mode. Hypothetically speaking, this is a win-now move for them. It's either this, Frasor, Samardzija (if he's not going to start), or trot Esmailin Caridad (whoever the hell that is) as your righty setup man.

Considering the inevitable Carlos Marmol Blow-Up, they know they need help. It's high time to exploit that.

Edited by Fotop

You would have to hope Linebrink has a love for the Cubs org., Chicago, or the NL in general (that or his friendship with Peavy and others on the sox sucks now). He has a NTC in his contract FYI. So even if the sox did/wanted to, he has the final say. Funny thing is.. when they signed him, most of the posters were mad of the money he was gonna make. I was more upset of giving a reliever a NTC.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 03:53 AM)
You would have to hope Linebrink has a love for the Cubs org., Chicago, or the NL in general (that or his friendship with Peavy and others on the sox sucks now). He has a NTC in his contract FYI. So even if the sox did/wanted to, he has the final say. Funny thing is.. when they signed him, most of the posters were mad of the money he was gonna make. I was more upset of giving a reliever a NTC.

Agreed, but I'd presume that wouldn't be a huge issue. He doesn't have to move his family. He gets to go from the AL to the NL, thereby helping his stats. Unless he has huge hangups about playing for the Cubs, or really, really loves playing for the White Sox I doubt this would be a major hurdle.

If he could post one or two more decent to good seasons (and being the NL would help this) he could swindle another contract out of someone after this one. From a financial standpoint, this would be a good move for him.

QUOTE (Fotop @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:49 AM)

Thoughts?

The Cubs don't really have the money to even sign anymore free agents, so I doubt they try to trade for a guy making $5 mil this year and $5.5 next.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 02:53 AM)

Dude! EVERYONE wants to play for the Cubs, because of their tradition!!

And they have the best fans in all of sports!!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
So, we're a week into March, and the Cubs already have Lilly, Nady and Guzman injured? Its a very Cubbie Spring Training!

They're going to be really bad this year and probably for many years to come.