2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
I've watched about 7 Arizona games so far. That offense is no joke. Not an easy out in that lineup. Might be the second best lineup in the NL after Philly.

I like A.J. Hinch, despite being baseballs Vinny Del Negro, he seems to have a good mind for running an offense. IF that pitching staff evens out they'll compete.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
Wow, D-Backs currently up on the Cubs 13-1 in the 7th.

30 mph wind blowing out to left, fly ball pitcher on the mound, usually doesn't end up well. When the Cubs signed Lilly, I actually thought that happened to him way more often, but he's actually pitched pretty well. One of the few good FA signings by Hendry.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
30 mph wind blowing out to left, fly ball pitcher on the mound, usually doesn't end up well. When the Cubs signed Lilly, I actually thought that happened to him way more often, but he's actually pitched pretty well. One of the few good FA signings by Hendry.

Cause he's had a horse shoe up his ass with regards to wind conditions.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
Fukedome is a beast in the early part of every season. Still soooooooo happy the Sox didnt get him.

I think Fukudome gets a bad rap simply because he was a huge free agent coming over from Japan and he hasn't put up Ichiro or Hideki like numbers. Had he replicated his numbers of the previous two seasons in a White Sox uniform, I wouldn't have been opposed to having him in the lineup at all...the dude gets on base. As a #2 hitter, he'd be just fine by me.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
I think Fukudome gets a bad rap simply because he was a huge free agent coming over from Japan and he hasn't put up Ichiro or Hideki like numbers. Had he replicated his numbers of the previous two seasons in a White Sox uniform, I wouldn't have been opposed to having him in the lineup at all...the dude gets on base. As a #2 hitter, he'd be just fine by me.

For $14 million this year?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)

Agreed. Fits the OBP norm and adds a left-handed stick for us. Hell, he would be terrific at leadoff IMO. Trade them a couple of Linebrink contracts (or have the Cubs kick in $$ till his contract is up) and I'd be on board. Don't know Fukodome's contract when it ends though.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
Agreed. Fits the OBP norm and adds a left-handed stick for us. Hell, he would be terrific at leadoff IMO. Trade them a couple of Linebrink contracts (or have the Cubs kick in $$ till his contract is up) and I'd be on board. Don't know Fukodome's contract when it ends though.

Counting this year, he has 2 years and ~$28 million on his contract. He's a FA after 2011.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
Lilly was throwing beachballs.

But Kudos to the Cubs fans who were pelting 3 guys in Canucks jerseys with peanuts and beer.

CSN was showing his pitching speeds as he went on. He was into the upper 70's on his fastball by the end of the game according to them.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
One of those insane Soriano hot streaks are taking place now. Cubs lineup is clicking, as there's some amazing batting averages being posted.

Some amazing flukish batting averages. I'll go ahead and assume Theriot, Fukodome, Byrd and Soto won't hit .349, .347, .329 and .328, respectively. You're right about Soriano. He's on one of his little three week tears. Immediately to be followed by a month of suckage in which I have a better chance of hitting a breaking pitch than he does.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 2, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
Some amazing flukish batting averages. I'll go ahead and assume Theriot, Fukodome, Byrd and Soto won't hit .349, .347, .329 and .328, respectively. You're right about Soriano. He's on one of his little three week tears. Immediately to be followed by a month of suckage in which I have a better chance of hitting a breaking pitch than he does.

looking at the cubs numbers...its amazing they are only .500 and have done so against a really easy schedule (even for the NL)....gorzelanny, silva, dempster and wells have all been incredible for them.....everyone on offense except Lee and Ramirez has been better than expected......

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 2, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
looking at the cubs numbers...its amazing they are only .500 and have done so against a really easy schedule (even for the NL)....gorzelanny, silva, dempster and wells have all been incredible for them.....everyone on offense except Lee and Ramirez has been better than expected......

Their bullpen, outside of Marmol, really cost them a lot of games the first few weeks.

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 2, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)

They have been able to hit, they have just had a problem knocking runners in, and of course Lee & Ramirez have been awful. As mentioned, their bullpen blew some games early too. Their schedule was talked about in season previews cause it was so easy, and they definitely have not taken advantage of it, they have two more weeks until they start playing real teams. I hope they enjoy Silva & Gorzelanny, cause there is no way they keep up what they are doing.

As overpaid and bad in the field Soriano is, man, when that guy gets hot, he can carry a team for a few weeks easy.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 2, 2010 -> 07:51 PM)
They have been able to hit, they have just had a problem knocking runners in, and of course Lee & Ramirez have been awful. As mentioned, their bullpen blew some games early too. Their schedule was talked about in season previews cause it was so easy, and they definitely have not taken advantage of it, they have two more weeks until they start playing real teams. I hope they enjoy Silva & Gorzelanny, cause there is no way they keep up what they are doing.

As overpaid and bad in the field Soriano is, man, when that guy gets hot, he can carry a team for a few weeks easy.

He's the best player in the league at his absolute peak of hotness. Problem is there's been no inbetween with him the last 3-4 years. Cubs fans should enjoy it while it lasts.

My brother is a big Cubs fan and he said as some others that their woeful bullpen has cost them a number of games. Their starting pitching has been pretty good and hitting wise they're streaky both ways. From what i've seen I like Marlon Byrd and I think that Colvin kid has a chance to become a decent player if he ever gets a real chance.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ May 2, 2010 -> 11:22 PM)
My brother is a big Cubs fan and he said as some others that their woeful bullpen has cost them a number of games. Their starting pitching has been pretty good and hitting wise they're streaky both ways. From what i've seen I like Marlon Byrd and I think that Colvin kid has a chance to become a decent player if he ever gets a real chance.

Other than the Mets, and they lost 3/4 to them, they haven't played anybody. They've got 6 games with the Pirates/Reds coming up. After that 16 of their next 20 games come against the Marlins, Rockies, Phillies, Rangers and Cardinals. They'll be exposed. Not that they're good right now.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ May 4, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
Just saw this on Deadspin; it's an excerpt from the book Are We Winning? about the Bartman incident. Thought some of you Cub haters would like to relive that moment..

Deadspin Link

That was well written, but poorly edited. It refers to a walk to "Pierre," after mentioning that he had just doubled (the walk was to Castillo).

I'm pretty sure that the "guy in the sweatshirt" is Trib columnist John Kass.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ May 4, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
Just saw this on Deadspin; it's an excerpt from the book Are We Winning? about the Bartman incident. Thought some of you Cub haters would like to relive that moment..

Deadspin Link

Well written indeed. I felt so bad for that guy, because it truly could have been any fan, of any team.