2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)
Its all about their pitching. If Carpender goes down again, this could be interesting.

Lohse needs to pick it up for them, as he's throwing batting practice on the mound. Duncan is an amazing pitching coach though, as Brad Penny is this year's Pineiro.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
We did that last year with Beckham, and look how that's turned out.

I was actually shocked we brought him up so early. I was content with leaving him down for all of last year.

Theriot's doing really well. Fontenot's not doing so well; that .296 batting average is almost completely empty. Still, Fontenot might be forgiven for wondering "Why me?" when Derrek Lee's hitting like a shortstop and Aramis Ramirez is hitting like a Double-A shortstop.

Look, the Cubs need to get younger. Aside from 27-year-old Geovany Soto, the youngest every-day Cub is Fontenot, who turns 30 next month. I don't know if Castro's better than Fontenot right now, but if not he will be soon.

I just don't understand why now, when Castro: 1) hasn't played a single Triple-A game yet; and 2) gets an early start on his arbitration clock. Does he really improve the Cubs' postseason chances so much that they can't wait just a few more weeks?

Neyer

while I somewhat agree with Neyer about the Arb clock, I think the hitting isnt the focus of this promotion, Theriot is brutal at short. He could be a good second baseman(great including his hitting), but at short he is worthless when the ball is hit towards the hole.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
It's remarkable how similar the tenor of this thread seems to the tenor of it last year, when the Cubs weren't nearly as bad as the Sox.

I don't disagree that the Cubs suck. You have to be pretty awful to have a losing record when most of your games have come against the Brewers, Astros, Pirates, and Reds.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2010 -> 01:50 AM)
It's remarkable how similar the tenor of this thread seems to the tenor of it last year, when the Cubs weren't nearly as bad as the Sox.

Completely disagree. Last year, we all were expecting them to make a run and make the playoffs. They were the best team in the NL the previous season. This year, I think the Cardinals are everyone's favorite to win the NL Central.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
Completely disagree. Last year, we all were expecting them to make a run and make the playoffs. They were the best team in the NL the previous season. This year, I think the Cardinals are everyone's favorite to win the NL Central.

Totally true. Yet, from reading this thread, I doubt you'd figure that out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
That's not a good score for the cubs.

From reading the inning-by-inning scoring report in small print under the box score, it looks like an error by Castro helped open the floodgates in what up to then was a close game.

I hope that doesn't derail the non-stop procession to Cooperstown after just a couple days.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 9, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
From reading the inning-by-inning scoring report in small print under the box score, it looks like an error by Castro helped open the floodgates in what up to then was a close game.

I hope that doesn't derail the non-stop procession to Cooperstown after just a couple days.

They're already erecting a statue for him, I hear.

Castro didnt commit an error. That was classified as an act of god by the scorekeeper, thus keeping his perfect fielding percentage intact.

you score it AOG in the book, and technically the batter doesnt even get the at bat in the stats.