2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 10, 2010 -> 09:10 PM)
3 errors for the golden boy tonight.

I just don't understand why they rushed him up, he really could use (and needs) more minor league at bats, they could have put off arbitration for another year had they waited even a few more weeks to call him up, and rushing him up to a team that is going nowhere anyways makes no sense. Things like that, rushing guys up, proclaiming them as saviors, and putting a ton of pressure on them, is in large part why you see so many Cubs prospects end up busts.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 10, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
I just don't understand why they rushed him up, he really could use (and needs) more minor league at bats, they could have put off arbitration for another year had they waited even a few more weeks to call him up, and rushing him up to a team that is going nowhere anyways makes no sense. Things like that, rushing guys up, proclaiming them as saviors, and putting a ton of pressure on them, is in large part why you see so many Cubs prospects end up busts.

I am still shocked he is up here, especially with limited abs in AA and not sniffing some AAA at 20 years old. But he has really impressed me with his discipline at the plate. He's got a chance for sure. Hell if we wind up trading guys (and of course keeping our core), I would love for trade Alexei + and get him (though I'm sure Hendry will hype his ass and ask for the ransom) to pair with Beckham. :D

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 10, 2010 -> 11:51 PM)
I am still shocked he is up here, especially with limited abs in AA and not sniffing some AAA at 20 years old. But he has really impressed me with his discipline at the plate. He's got a chance for sure. Hell if we wind up trading guys (and of course keeping our core), I would love for trade Alexei + and get him (though I'm sure Hendry will hype his ass and ask for the ransom) to pair with Beckham. :D

He's got a chance to be really good. But rushing him up in early May isn't a great start for the kid, and that's not his fault.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 11, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
The Tribune headline says that fans were booing him after the 3rd error. Really? Boo your top prospect, a 20-year old in his 4th major league game?? Wow, Cubs fans have become awfully cutthroat about their team in the past few years.

I think they've been burnt by so many "can't miss" prospects that whenever a kid starts to fail, they immediately think "oh, great...ANOTHER one...."

But doesn't the booing kind of fly in the face of the "nobody's paying attention to the game" stereotype?

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 11, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
I think they've been burnt by so many "can't miss" prospects that whenever a kid starts to fail, they immediately think "oh, great...ANOTHER one...."

But doesn't the booing kind of fly in the face of the "nobody's paying attention to the game" stereotype?

Castro's call up was a headline grabbing move for the marketing deaprtment.

The success of the marketing of the cubs and hawks has lead to a fan base that is paying huge dollar amounts to come watch the game. The price with that is an environment of fans that are there because of the marketing of the product not the actual product. The hawks will get worse over time due to the limited number of games and tickets. On the radio yesterday they were talking about the Hawks crowd not being that loud going into game 5 becuaue everyone expected them to win...

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 10, 2010 -> 11:51 PM)

He is supposed to be all glove and some bat. His glove looked like s*** yesterday, couldnt even make an easy throw and gave up a double on straight laziness.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 11, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
He is supposed to be all glove and some bat. His glove looked like s*** yesterday, couldnt even make an easy throw and gave up a double on straight laziness.

Sample size of 1 game.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 11, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
Sample size of 1 game.

Well I didnt say he will never have the glove, just saying he looked like s*** for someone who is supposed to be MLB ready with that attribute. I havent seen thge lazy double in quite some time.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 11, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
Well I didnt say he will never have the glove, just saying he looked like s*** for someone who is supposed to be MLB ready with that attribute. I havent seen thge lazy double in quite some time.

I don't think it was laziness, more-so him pouting cause he made an error, and of course made a cardinal sin for not being alert. (though you have to give credit to Hanley for recognizing it as well) Any rookie will have those days. (hell we saw that before with Beckham last year) He still has some solid range at his position not to mention I am very impressed by his plate discipline. (night and day already better than Soriano for example) Like I said before if the sox were to trade Alexei + whomever the Cubs need(s) to get Castro to pair with Beckham for the playoff stretch (or should I say "try" for the Cubs perspective), I would do it.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 11, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)

The fans who are out at 9 or 10 PM on a Monday night watching a crappy Cubs team lose to a crappy Marlins team on a cold, damp night tend to be the type who are watching the game. The fact they are booing a 20 year old kid who belongs in AAA shows they still aren't very smart though.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 11, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
Any rookie will have those days. (hell we saw that before with Beckham last year)

Beckham was playing a position he was not accoustomed to and did fairly well. Castro is thought of as a raw SS..I think he will replace Ramirez who will move to first to replace Lee after this season or Soriano will replace Lee.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 11, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
Beckham was playing a position he was not accoustomed to and did fairly well. Castro is thought of as a raw SS..I think he will replace Ramirez who will move to first to replace Lee after this season or Soriano will replace Lee.

Really? That would be an odd scenario. Could see it happening, just surprising and odd.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 11, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)

Before he came up, they had talked about the high amount of errors he was making in the minors. I think he has really great range and can make some unbelievable plays, but is prone to simple errors.