2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
I would have said they'd have no chance based on how the Cards started this year, but that offense of the Cards seems to have some bad mojo. Lohse might be done for the year, and who knows how Penny returns from injury. J. Garcia has been filthy for the Cardinals so far this season in their rotation. Some of the Cubs hitters that started hot are slowing down now, but D. Lee is picking it up. Crazy that the Cubs have 11 wins between Silva and Marshall.

The Cubs are mediocre at best. They have a ton of guys overachieving and are still under .500, obviously I expect Ramirez to return to excellence but the rest of them should regress.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sports Guy was at Wrigley yesterday, the last two made me laugh.

Just went to Wrigley for 1st time in 30 yrs. Cubs 1, LA 0. Manny feebly K'd in the 9th. It hurt. I'm not gonna lie. Awesome park, loved it.

BTW, kudos to Chicago for ignoring any/all health trends. The drinking/poor eating/smoking pace is epic. And I loved the "Go Cubs Go" song.

Update: I no longer like the "Go Cubs Go" song. It's been running through my head for the past hour. Make it stop. For the love of God.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2010 -> 06:19 PM)
Is Ted Lilly not even standing on the mound?

It's funny because I actually noticed this right before Blake went off. Due to the Buehrle fiasco, I was watching Lilly's feet to see if he was bringing his leg over and balking, when I noticed his foot was a good 3-4 inches off the rubber. I was saying "Wait a second, he can't do that, that's cheating". And then a minute later Blake started to yell about it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 28, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
Cubs 1st meeting of the year with the Cards this afternoon. Randy Wells gives up hits to the first 6 batters he faces, gets pulled down 5-0, runner on 2nd, nobody out.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
Cubs in great position to catch up to the Cardinals in the standings after this weekend, as the Cardinals offense is really slowing down.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 28, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
Wasn't Wells slated for the pen anyway? He was as good as anyone in that rotation and young. He could not have been too excited about the move.

It's weird how badly they view Wells, but he was their best starter last year, and was doing well this year, yet it seems he is always the odd man out.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 28, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
It's weird how badly they view Wells, but he was their best starter last year, and was doing well this year, yet it seems he is always the odd man out.

I think he was a converted position player and they did not expect that much out of him. He made his name in their minor league bullpen and they might think his arm has a limited number of innings in it.......

Also I do not study the cubs numbers but it seemed like a week ago the entire team except for Lee and Ramirez were well over .300 like a bunch of guys in the .330 range and now while there are still a couple in the .300 range there are bunch that are now back down to earth.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 28, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
I think he was a converted position player and they did not expect that much out of him. He made his name in their minor league bullpen and they might think his arm has a limited number of innings in it.......

Also I do not study the cubs numbers but it seemed like a week ago the entire team except for Lee and Ramirez were well over .300 like a bunch of guys in the .330 range and now while there are still a couple in the .300 range there are bunch that are now back down to earth.

Well, he did convert from catcher to pitcher when he was 20 years old, but that was back in 2003, but he only had 20 games as a catcher.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
Well, Cardinals haven't scored any runs against the Cubs mop-up relievers in 8 innings, and Cubs are creeping back into the game.

cubs will end up winning this game agasint good bullpen pitchers actually. Why did they not bring in Zamabrano to stretch him out as this would have been perfect. Something is off with that situation.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
Well, Cardinals haven't scored any runs against the Cubs mop-up relievers in 8 innings, and Cubs are creeping back into the game.

True. And now the only player in Chicago more disappointing than CQ and Beckham has a great chance to finally make some noise.

Scratch that, fly out for A-Ram.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 28, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
True. And now the only player in Chicago more disappointing than CQ and Beckham has a great chance to finally make some noise.

Scratch that, fly out for A-Ram.

Soriano and/or byrd will come through with something though.

cub pen 8 Ip 3 hits 4 K's

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 28, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
cubs will end up winning this game agasint good bullpen pitchers actually. Why did they not bring in Zamabrano to stretch him out as this would have been perfect. Something is off with that situation.

I agree. If he really is gonna start next weekend, here was the perfect chance to get him multiple innings in a real game.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 28, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
Brenley on the broadcast said he thought A-Ram should go on the DL because of, i believe he said, his thumb. All I know is I haven't watched a ton of Cubs this year, but what I've seen, A-Ram looks terrible at the plate.

Funny thing is, he is doing what most people think the sox players should do... not listen to their hitting coach. And Jaramillo is considered one of the best (if not the best) in the game.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 28, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Funny thing is, he is doing what most people think the sox players should do... not listen to their hitting coach. And Jaramillo is considered one of the best (if not the best) in the game.

A-Ram also had a real bad shoulder injury last year, and he'll be 32 next month. People just kind of expected to bounce back 100% from a shoulder injury, for a slugger like that it was a real bad injury.