2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if "sharply" is the right word to use, nor do I know if "crowds under 38,000" is the best way to measure such a thing. Yes, attendance is down somewhat: the Cubs are drawing 38,475 a game this year compared to 39,611 last season. While you have to note that we still have the summer months to get through which should up the averages a bit, attendance will likely be down a bit this year, though not dramatically lower.

But let's not freak out about it either. Here's some greater context: attendance last year was down from the 40,000+ a game the team drew in 2007 and 2008. In the several years before that, however, the team had only a couple of years in their history in which they drew as well as they're drawing right now. Indeed, if the season ended today, 2010 would be the seventh best year attendance-wise (per game) in the 95 years or so they've been in Wrigley Field.

So yeah, they're down. But that's from historic peaks, so let's not get carried away, OK?

Link

Castro completely boots a slightly above average grounder late in the game yesterday and Len and Bob couldn't make enough excuses for him, ie weird bounce, spin and why they are doing it they're showing the replay and none of that is really there, at best the ball stayed down on him a little. I know he's only 20, but that cat has a long way to go on defense, granted it's only a small sample, but what I've seen he doesn't look comfortable or fluid there

Seeing the Cubs lineup with a DH the last few days and seeing how they have struggled the last 1.5 years makes me realize how f***ing good & important Aramis Ramirez was in that lineup. Last year he missed half the season and this year he has been worthless and their offense just cant score. He really has been a vital part of that offense and they need him back healthy.

That being said, I hope he's not ready to come back for another 4 days, so they dont f*** up our winning streak now.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
Hendry just announced Z is suspended indefinitely... good god, they are going to get killed on that money if they have to move him, the Soriano contract and his alone could cripple that team for awhile

This is hysterical.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
eh, there's a difference between being crazy and just being a prick, I wouldn't be shocked if he goes somewhere like the LAD if they can add some payroll and he excels again.

But he's always been a head case. It's seems likely that there's something going on there.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
There are 3 certified nutjobs in sports. Z, Milton Bradley and Ron Artest. Funny to think 2 were on the same team at onetime.

I think Zambrano is a bit of a loose cannon but he does not deserve to be categorized with Bradley and Artest... those 2 are just wack.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
The attendence numbers there are misleading because of the addition to the ballpark a few years ago. I'll bet if you looked at % of seats filled, it is the lowest it has been for a while.

The attendance numbers are also tickets sold, not actual butts in the seats. They have their own ticket brokers they sell tickets to, and with the other scalpers/brokers out there, I bet there's many tix that go unused as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
Why?

Zambrano has exploded a few times but Milton Bradley has gone up to the announcer box because of a negative comment and Artest well I dont really have to explain but he is responsible for one of the most embarassing moments in basketball history.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
Zambrano has exploded a few times but Milton Bradley has gone up to the announcer box because of a negative comment and Artest well I dont really have to explain but he is responsible for one of the most embarassing moments in basketball history.

Both Artest and Bradley have gone after the people in the crowd, that's one thing I can't remember Zambrano doing.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)

Point taken, but IMHO it's like comparing horse s*** with cow s***. I really don't care how you analyze it, at the end of the day it's all s***.