2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The optimism of Cubs fans will always amaze me. They're 10.5 out of first place and alone in 4th (with two good teams at the top of the division), yet there is a contingent of their blind loyalists who are excited because they beat up on the awful Diamondbacks and the mightily struggling Phillies recently. How can any fans be so positive, let alone fans of a team that has a stretch of futility like they do? I'll never get it.

Oh, and Carlos Silva: welcome back to being Carlos Silva.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

An interesting story on Marlon Byrd and his very close connection to infamous BALCO druglord Victor Conte. Included inside the story is a link to another interesting story on the two from a little over a year ago. Makes you say hmm at the very least.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoUO...onteagain071910

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 12:34 AM)
The optimism of Cubs fans will always amaze me. They're 10.5 out of first place and alone in 4th (with two good teams at the top of the division), yet there is a contingent of their blind loyalists who are excited because they beat up on the awful Diamondbacks and the mightily struggling Phillies recently. How can any fans be so positive, let alone fans of a team that has a stretch of futility like they do? I'll never get it.

Oh, and Carlos Silva: welcome back to being Carlos Silva.

One of my friends on Facebook put "Sox fans can rejoice with the BP Cup when we have the WS Trophy"

My response: "Hahahahahahaahhahahahahahahha x 100"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
Anyone want to give odds on Sandberg being his replacement?

Only way I can see him not being the replacement is if they convince Joe Girardi to come manage his boyhood team. But he'd have to be nuts to leave the Yankees to manage the Cubs, even if he grew up loving them.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
Lou Piniella announces that he is retirierd at the end of this season. beginning of the 2006 season.

Not a big surprise, and I think it keeps him from being fired for a younger manager any point this summer. His contract ends this year anyway.

fixed

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
Lou Piniella announces that he is retiring at the end of this season.

Not a big surprise, and I think it keeps him from being fired for a younger manager any point this summer. His contract ends this year anyway.

My thought exactly. This was 100% to avoid being fired. Now the Cubs look bad if they fire a guy who is retiring.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
It looks that way, but I think Lou would have been fired already if that were in the plans. It's too late to salvage the season now, so they might as well let him ride peacefully into the sunset.

I tend to agree with you, the only thing that might have prompted his firing was if the Cubs actually thought they were going to be able to dump a lot of the high salary veterans and slot a player development player type guy as the interim manager for the rest of the season, but with it looking like they won't be able to dump a lot of the crap, might as well just let Lou stick around.

Some of those Cubs contracts are so bad, today on the Score they were talking about how good of a fit A-Ram would be for the Tigers, but he has a few big years left on his deal plus a player option and a NTC, meaning he would likely demand the option be picked up before agreeing to any move, basically making him immovable unless the Cubs eat 1/2 the deal, even with him starting to hit

The only guys I could see them being able to move are Lilly (who I think they will deal) and maybe Derrek Lee. They really don't have anybody else with value right now, all things considered, and even Lilly and Lee wouldn't bring back much of anything. The exception to this comment is if they are willing to eat a lot of money, but I really doubt it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
I tend to agree with you, the only thing that might have prompted his firing was if the Cubs actually thought they were going to be able to dump a lot of the high salary veterans and slot a player development player type guy as the interim manager for the rest of the season, but with it looking like they won't be able to dump a lot of the crap, might as well just let Lou stick around.

Some of those Cubs contracts are so bad, today on the Score they were talking about how good of a fit A-Ram would be for the Tigers, but he has a few big years left on his deal plus a player option and a NTC, meaning he would likely demand the option be picked up before agreeing to any move, basically making him immovable unless the Cubs eat 1/2 the deal, even with him starting to hit

If he is traded, the team option in 2012 becomes guaranteed so long as he picks up his 2011 player option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
Anyone want to give odds on Sandberg being his replacement?

I think it'll be between him and Bob Brenly.

I'll miss Lou. Hasn't been the fiery guy he was though with the Reds/Seattle/first couple Cub years. He finished 1st, 1st, 2nd, and now 4th on the Cubs as manager. Nobody has had that level of success for the Cubs as manager since Charlie Grimm in 1933-1938.

Ricketts better realize that they need to get rid of Hendry. I can't believe he is still guaranteed a job next season.

It certainly sounded like Hendry will be back next year in that press conference, Ricketts didn't leave much wiggle room in his comments. You're right about Brenly being a potential candidate, Reedfan, but I think he might be a little bit behind in that race. Buster Olney seems to think it's possible Joe Torre will be the Cubs manager next year. I guess that makes sense in that Torre won't be back in LA next year, but would the Cubs really want to hire a guy in his 70's as manager after the Lou experience?

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 06:01 PM)
It certainly sounded like Hendry will be back next year in that press conference, Ricketts didn't leave much wiggle room in his comments. You're right about Brenly being a potential candidate, Reedfan, but I think he might be a little bit behind in that race. Buster Olney seems to think it's possible Joe Torre will be the Cubs manager next year. I guess that makes sense in that Torre won't be back in LA next year, but would the Cubs really want to hire a guy in his 70's as manager after the Lou experience?

The thing is Hendry was sitting right next to him, he couldnt just say I don't know if I will keep him around next year. He had to say what he did, but many people have said that before and changed their mind when it came down to it. With all the bad money on the roster right now, I see no way Hendry comes back.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 07:12 PM)
The thing is Hendry was sitting right next to him, he couldnt just say I don't know if I will keep him around next year. He had to say what he did, but many people have said that before and changed their mind when it came down to it. With all the bad money on the roster right now, I see no way Hendry comes back.

Well you may be right, but Ricketts really screwed the pooch if you are. He could have rather easily went the political route and talked without saying anything on Hendry, even with him right there, but instead he basically said he'll be back next year.

And fathom, serious question, not me being sarcastic or poking fun at all: do you still think the Cubs can rally and get legitimately back into the race?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)

Furthermore, until you actually fire a guy, you really don't want to say anything that undermines him.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
And fathom, serious question, not me being sarcastic or poking fun at all: do you still think the Cubs can rally and get legitimately back into the race?

It would be difficult based on their remaining schedule, and the Reds/Cardinals having a much easier schedule. The Cubs offense is pretty dynamic now with Ramirez slugging, Soto/Castro/Colvin being underrated, and Soriano/Byrd being productive. Problem for Cubs is they have 10 days to determine if they have to unload their players. Hopefully Cards can avoid getting swept by them this weekend, and that will then result in trading Lilly, etc.

The Cardinals desperately need to add some pitching. Unfortunately, the Cubs will face Suppan and Hawkesworth in Fri/Sat games.

I'm not sure there is much of a decision to be made in the next 10 days for them, the only moveable parts they have and are willing to deal are Lilly and maybe Lee it appears. The Reds and Cardinals are playing good ball too, and the Cubs are still like 10 under. I don't see how anybody can even imagine them coming close to playing 11 games better than the Cardinals and Reds in their last 68 games or whatever it is. I know you could bring up our run, but they don't have the bullpen, defense, or favorable schedule that we did/do. I'm assuming BP would have their playoff chances at less than half of 1 percent, and that's probably about right.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
I'm not sure there is much of a decision to be made in the next 10 days for them, the only moveable parts they have and are willing to deal are Lilly and maybe Lee it appears. The Reds and Cardinals are playing good ball too, and the Cubs are still like 10 under. I don't see how anybody can even imagine them coming close to playing 11 games better than the Cardinals and Reds in their last 68 games or whatever it is. I know you could bring up our run, but they don't have the bullpen, defense, or favorable schedule that we did/do. I'm assuming BP would have their playoff chances at less than half of 1 percent, and that's probably about right.

101, that's why I bring up this weekend. If they go out and sweep Cards and make up 3 games on them, they could then point to our run and decide to go for it.