2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man I thought I was the only one watching this horror show. this is incredible. This is about the third time they are flashing the scoreboard. Funny thought, my wife just woke up (went to bed early @ 9) for a drink of water, looked at the TV screen and mumbled "Cubs suck". And she isn't a baseball fan all that much.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
Brenly using the old "Rockies are having someone tip them off to the pitch" excuse

Yeah, its' "we can't find the corners, just the middle of the plate" tip from the Flubs. :headbang

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
I challenge anybody (mainly Kalapse) to name 5 better players since the second half of last year until now better than Carlos Gonzalez.

Robinson Cano, Albert Pujols, Adrian Gonzalez, Miguel Cabrera, Joey Votto

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
I challenge anybody (mainly Kalapse) to name 5 better players since the second half of last year until now better than Carlos Gonzalez.

CarGo is a true 5 tool stud. Tracy's playing some stupid games with him the way he shuffles the OF (should just leave him in RF), but he'll be regarded as an excellent OF as well as a great hitter before long.

The Great Billy Beane goofed big-time on this one. No matter how good the prospects are that he got from the Cards, he had the best player all along in Gonzalez.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 07:05 PM)
So for rest of year Balta, who puts up better numbers: Rolen or Aramis?

Since Fathom made this post, Rolen has come back, played in 5 games, and is 10/22 with 4 2b, 2BB, and a Homer.

Aramis Ramirez has played in 7 games and is 5/29 with an RBI and a run scored. 0 walks, 0 extra base hits.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
Wow, watching this team is certainly something else... I genuinely feel bad for them. Schlitter just hit Carlos Gomez on the helmet. I was actually a little surprised that Cub fans applauded when he got up.

They probably wouldn't do it if A.J. got plunked in the head.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 07:56 PM)
Wow, watching this team is certainly something else... I genuinely feel bad for them. Schlitter just hit Carlos Gomez on the helmet. I was actually a little surprised that Cub fans applauded when he got up.

Brewers win 18-1. Sweet. There is no feeling bad for the Cubs allowed.

A few numbers out there to go behind the talk of a page or two ago about how the team lost value almost automatically when Ricketts bought it. Heard on ESPN 1000 today that he paid 840m for the club and now it's worth 740m, so a 100m loss in value which is about 11.9%. Also heard he has to pay 30m a year on his loans for the team not to mention the money they have to dump into the shrine every year to keep it maintained... it obviously has a chance to turn around, but it's going to be a little bit to navigate through this period and a safe assumption to make that their cash flow is severely restricted

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
A few numbers out there to go behind the talk of a page or two ago about how the team lost value almost automatically when Ricketts bought it. Heard on ESPN 1000 today that he paid 840m for the club and now it's worth 740m, so a 100m loss in value which is about 11.9%. Also heard he has to pay 30m a year on his loans for the team not to mention the money they have to dump into the shrine every year to keep it maintained... it obviously has a chance to turn around, but it's going to be a little bit to navigate through this period.

I don't think most people have any idea of the financial difficulties the Ricketts/Cubs are dealing with right now. They're going to have to receive large contributions from their farm system if they want to be good again anytime soon, because they're going to cut payroll if at all possible (and who knows how much it is with as many bad, impossible to move contracts as they have).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
Yes, I feel like the Cubs offense has finally woken up, and their season is not over. They have so many remaining games vs Reds/Cardinals, they can still put a huge dent into the approximately 10 game lead.

what would be the reverse of a dent, a bubble? :lol: