2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
Definitely. The attendance numbers count all those tickets scooped up by the brokers and the Cubs so they can be deceiving. I was in the bleachers for the drubbing by the Brewers last Monday and you could have shown up at first pitch and gotten a few seats together in left field. That was unheard of for an August night game anytime in the past several years.

Also, the Cubs expanded capacity because they need the revenue, so when it dips it kills them, especially with the fact the team is worth about 11% less than when Ricketts bought it according to Forbes and he has to pay 30m a year on his loans for the team.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
I LOVE the "youth is served" crap they are trying to use to generate interest. Guess what, your youth really isnt that good.

I wouldn't say that their youth is crap; They're looking really strong up the diamond for years to come

Soto - he is a top 5 catcher in baseball that just needs to stay healthy.

Castro - he has the potential to establish himself as a top 5 SS in all of baseball; has some defensive warts like Hanley but he is still really young.

Dewitt - at his floor he is a league average second basemen with above average defense at 3B that needs some work at the keystone, his upside is what he has produced up this point with the cubs .310/.370/.429 with the ability to possibly tack on some more slugging; he very well could turn into the left handed hitting pedroia.

Colvin - i see Ruben sierra from him, if he can control the zone hes dangerous but i think he has sweeping peaks and valleys over the course of his career.

that from a position player perspective is incredibly strong up the middle, and they have a couple of good looking prospects in both Jay and Brett Jackson, a very good looking back end of the bullpen to shut the door as well in Marmol. Their pitching in that division looks to be third rate but that might be more than enough going forward, they might have found something in Diamond as he continues to recover from his ankle and TJS. Dempster, Wells, Gorz, Jackson and Diamond, could be more than enough going forward for a central crown in '11.

I'm not as sold on Colvin than some others are (never was a fan of his even as a prospect) but I LOVE Andrew Cashner. If I was the Cubs, I'd see what kind of market there is for Marmol and see what package you can get for him. Cashner should be their closer of the future. They are fine up the middle with Dewitt and Castro and they have to hope Vitters develops and can solve their 3B position.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
Castro - he has the potential to establish himself as a top 5 SS in all of baseball; has some defensive warts like Hanley but he is still really young.

I guess Castro isn't gonna play SS in the future. They have some younger Asian prospect that's supposed to be much better SS and will move Castro to 2B.

I wouldn't say that their youth is crap; They're looking really strong up the diamond for years to come

Soto - he is a top 5 catcher in baseball that just needs to stay healthy.

Dewitt - at his floor he is a league average second basemen with above average defense at 3B that needs some work at the keystone, his upside is what he has produced up this point with the cubs .310/.370/.429 with the ability to possibly tack on some more slugging; he very well could turn into the left handed hitting pedroia.

Colvin - i see Ruben sierra from him, if he can control the zone hes dangerous but i think he has sweeping peaks and valleys over the course of his career.

that from a position player perspective is incredibly strong up the middle, and they have a couple of good looking prospects in both Jay and Brett Jackson, a very good looking back end of the bullpen to shut the door as well in Marmol. Their pitching in that division looks to be third rate but that might be more than enough going forward, they might have found something in Diamond as he continues to recover from his ankle and TJS. Dempster, Wells, Gorz, Jackson and Diamond, could be more than enough going forward for a central crown in '11.

Soto isnt really part of their youth movement.

Castro is good, and thats it. Colvin came back down to earth and will continue to, Dewitt is a castoff who doesnt have a place on the diamond. Cashner may be a good pen arm for them moving forward.

Please dont mention Thomas Diamond. The last member of the DVD combo isnt going to stick in the majors.

Blake DeWitt has career splits of .264/.343/.381/.723 in 819 PAs and put up a .277/.337/.443/.779 line in 2555 career minor league PAs.

Dustin Pedroia put up a .317/.380/.442/.823 line in his first full season, put up .313/.369/.459/.828 in his first two full seasons in the majors, plus almost 100 plate appearances in 2006 and won the MVP award in 2008 (though Quentin gift wrapped it for him when he broke his hand), has a career batting line of .305/.370/.461/.831, and put up a .307/.392/.452/.844 line in 1223 plate appearances in the minors.

I don't know how you can say that DeWitt is going to turn into Pedroia. If anything, I think Blake DeWitt is going to be a league average 2B, maybe above average. He has a few things going for him, including the ability to hit for a bit of average and the propensity to walk a little bit, but he has never really shown that he can hit for power at the same level as Dustin Pedroia.

Heard this on B & B today:

Bryce Harper, 1st overall pick, just signed a 5 year/$9.9 million major league contract.

In 2007, Jeff Samardzija, 5th round pick, signed a 5 year/$10 million major league contract. 2 years left on that contract, so far they have gotten 65.2 innings of 5.89 ERA baseball.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
Trib says Cubs about to trade D-Lee to the Braves.

Sounds like he will waive the no-trade clause. It turns out saying no to the Angels had nothing to do with his family, and everything to do with wanting to play for a team that was actually gonna make the playoffs.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
Rosenthal and Nightendale say Lee to Braves is a lock, Lee willing to waive no-trade clause and Glaus moves to bench not 3B like earlier reports suggested.

Man, Glaus started off this season so hot and he's been Jermaine Dye bad since July 1.

According to the Tribune it looks like Mr. Hendry did not realize that a player has to wait 10 days to be recalled from the minors after being sent down. If that doesn't testify to how stupid that organization is, I don't know what would.

The sad part is it seems that they let Micah Hoffpauer get all the way to the airport before they realized their mistake.