2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
Any guesses as to who out there would even claim that contract?

That contract is beyond an albatross. You pretty much can eliminate trading to an NL team since he has shown what a liability he is playing any position. Next, unless you pick up all or nearly all the salary, you are limited to about 2 or 3 teams because of length of remaining contract (through 2014) and average cost ($18MM per season). He is about 34 years old now and it appears nobody is paying players in their mid-thirties any substantial amount of money anymore. Oh, and to top it all off, he does not seem to be able to do what he was paid all that money to do in the first place, hit and run.

So, how do you move a guy owed $90MM over the next 5 season that is incapable of putting up numbers even close to his career averages? I assume they will pick up most of the salary and add one or two solid prospects to any deal to make a trade happen. That may help broaden the list of potential suitors but it still will be tough.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
I wonder if Toronto would trade him straight up for Wells.

Come on Wells can at least play defense and is an ok hitter. Soriano has no baseball skill any longer. 5 years $90M.......WOW

My lord the Astros are bad.

They really need to move Oswalt, Pence and Lee for whatever they could get.

The cub oughta clear out their farm system for Lee and Oswat and give them Soraino and $$$.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
Come on Wells can at least play defense and is an ok hitter. Soriano has no baseball skill any longer. 5 years $90M.......WOW

Over the past 2 seasons only 3 players in baseball have a UZR/150 of -20.00 or worse, those players: Brad Hawpe (-36.1), Jermaine Dye (-22.9) and Vernon Wells (-20.9). He has the 6th worst UZR/150 over the past 3 years at -13.5. +/- has him at -26 over the past 2 years which is the 4th worst in baseball regardless of position.

Regardless: Wells is 3 years younger, has shown some signs of life at the plate and should be able to play a mediocre corner outfield and won't destroy you with just horrendous mistakes late in games. It's a $14M difference over the next 4 years (2011-2014).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
Over the past 2 seasons only 3 players in baseball have a UZR/150 of -20.00 or worse, those players: Brad Hawpe (-36.1), Jermaine Dye (-22.9) and Vernon Wells (-20.9). He has the 6th worst UZR/150 over the past 3 years at -13.5. +/- has him at -26 over the past 2 years which is the 4th worst in baseball regardless of position.

Regardless: Wells is 3 years younger, has shown some signs of life at the plate and should be able to play a mediocre corner outfield and won't destroy you with just horrendous mistakes late in games. It's a $14M difference over the next 4 years (2011-2014).

Wells is infinitely better in the outfield than Soriano. Any metric that does not agree with this is garbage.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
This Astros team might be the worst team baseball has seen since the Tigers awfulness over 5 years ago. Can we trade Peavy for Carlos Silva?? Just kidding

They are awful, but to be fair when a couple of your better hitters are hitting like .091 comming in, your best hitter is on the DL, and you play the two best NL teams early on in PHI and STL, and faced the 2 headed monster early on in SF (Lincecum, Cain, though even Zito who has been very good) you are not gonna look good either way.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
They are awful, but to be fair when a couple of your better hitters are hitting like .091 comming in, your best hitter is on the DL, and you play the two best NL teams early on in PHI and STL, and faced the 2 headed monster early on in SF (Lincecum, Cain, though even Zito who has been very good) you are not gonna look good either way.

Come on, you put Berkman in that line-up and it is decent but that staff after Wandy and Oswalt is terrible. Does the NL even look at bullpens.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
Come on, you put Berkman in that line-up and it is decent but that staff after Wandy and Oswalt is terrible. Does the NL even look at bullpens.

What I don't get is leaving Paulino out there to die. You have Byrdak, Lindstrom, and Lyon...use them in the few games that you're winning.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)

Your arguing over nothing. I already said they were awful. But hell they had to face freaking STL, SF and PHI. If anyone was expecting them to have a winning record comming in, you were already fooling yourselves. BTW, I like Paulino. Still have no idea why the Astros continue on using him as a starter (future bullpen guy) but he's got a real good arm/stuff.

Ha, and the ump missed a third strike to Lee. Next pitch, boom 3 run homer. That's baseball for ya.

The Astros are the exact same team as the Indians from Major League I and II. Some guys play different positions, but seriously.

Michael Bourn is Willie Mays Hays.

Carlos Lee is Pedro Cerrano.

Hunter Pence or Geoff Blum can be Rube Baker

Kaz Matsui is obviously Isuro Tanaka

Matt Lindstrom or Felipe Paulino can be Rick Vaughn

Ed Wade is Charlie Donovan

Drayton McLane is Rachel Phelps

Brian Moehler is Eddie Harris

and on and on

except this is real life and not a movie and the Astros are terrible

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
The Astros are the exact same team as the Indians from Major League I and II. Some guys play different positions, but seriously.

Michael Bourn is Willie Mays Hays.

Carlos Lee is Pedro Cerrano.

Hunter Pence or Geoff Blum can be Rube Baker

Kaz Matsui is obviously Isuro Tanaka

Matt Lindstrom or Felipe Paulino can be Rick Vaughn

Ed Wade is Charlie Donovan

Drayton McLane is Rachel Phelps

Brian Moehler is Eddie Harris

and on and on

except this is real life and not a movie and the Astros are terrible

wade is kind of a combination of both. He put this team together, he wasnt forced to field it in order to lose.

and yes, Feliz is a dumbass, he cost the Astros that entire inning

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
wade is kind of a combination of both. He put this team together, he wasnt forced to field it in order to lose.

and yes, Feliz is a dumbass, he cost the Astros that entire inning

Their bullpen is bad but Marmol has looked pretty good so far, if his control can stay consistent he can be a good closer. FYI, the Astros are terrible.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
a big league team should be embarrassed to field a lineup like the astros did today....and their farm system may be worse than ours

i didnt look at it but i cant imagine their lineup being worse than ours right now lol

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 07:37 PM)
When MO retires, i think it'll be fair to say that Marmol could easily vie to be the best in the league. He's nigh unhittable.

Come on, seriously? He's only good when he's on, which is only some of the time. There are better young closers out there than Marmol.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
Come on, seriously? He's only good when he's on, which is only some of the time. There are better young closers out there than Marmol.

Like whom? Nathan's injured, so i'll wait to see what comes of that. Who else? Lidge? Unreliable. Papelbon? K-Rod? Pethaps, but given Marmol's dominance it's likely he could be on their level, by the time MO packs it in. Marmol is on the verge of becoming an elite closer, there's no debating that.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)
Like whom? Nathan's injured, so i'll wait to see what comes of that. Who else? Lidge? Unreliable. Papelbon? K-Rod? Pethaps, but given Marmol's dominance it's likely he could be on their level, by the time MO packs it in. Marmol is on the verge of becoming an elite closer, there's no debating that.

Why is there no debating that? He wasnt exactly stellar last year and we have yet to see what he does this year in a full season. The guy's command comes and goes. He's a walk or a strikeout. Personally, I am not sold on that as something indicative of an elite closer. If I was to pick the "next" closer being one that hasnt been around very long, I would take Andrew Bailey and Joakim Soria well before Marmol.